Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > another example of where you need open source

Reply
Thread Tools

another example of where you need open source

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2006

"The UK has warned America that it will cancel its 12bn order for the Joint
Strike Fighter if the US does not hand over full access to the computer
software code that controls the jets.

Lord Drayson, minister for defence procurement, told the The Daily Telegraph
that the planes were useless without control of the software as they could
effectively be "switched off" by the Americans without warning."

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...strike-fighter



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2006
Peter wrote:

>
> "The UK has warned America that it will cancel its £12bn order for the
> Joint Strike Fighter if the US does not hand over full access to the
> computer software code that controls the jets.
>
> Lord Drayson, minister for defence procurement, told the The Daily
> Telegraph that the planes were useless without control of the software as
> they could effectively be "switched off" by the Americans without
> warning."
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...strike-fighter



heh.. I can see the trademe auction now..
Great plane, was going well, maybe good for someone handy with these things

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2006
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:13:42 +1300, Peter wrote:

>
> "The UK has warned America that it will cancel its 12bn order for the Joint
> Strike Fighter if the US does not hand over full access to the computer
> software code that controls the jets.
>
> Lord Drayson, minister for defence procurement, told the The Daily Telegraph
> that the planes were useless without control of the software as they could
> effectively be "switched off" by the Americans without warning."
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...strike-fighter


Header slightly misleading yes. Better, why close source is not a good
idea.

Interesting that the US of A will not allow this even though Tony and
George are battling along the same path.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Waylon Kenning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2006
T'was the Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:07:12 +1300 when I remembered Gordon
<(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Header slightly misleading yes. Better, why close source is not a good
>idea.


Well I wouldn't say open sourcing the code for everyone to see and
develop off is such a good idea. Perhaps sharing it with your
strategic partners couldn't hurt though.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.
See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2006
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:22:00 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> Well I wouldn't say open sourcing the code for everyone to see and
> develop off is such a good idea. Perhaps sharing it with your
> strategic partners couldn't hurt though.


Open Source means you have the right to read, modify, recompile, change,
run, redistribute, and generally do what you like with the source code.

GPL'd Free Open Sourec software generally permits all of the above
provided you make your modifications available if you redistribute the
code.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2006
Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:22:00 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>> Well I wouldn't say open sourcing the code for everyone to see and
>> develop off is such a good idea. Perhaps sharing it with your
>> strategic partners couldn't hurt though.

>
> Open Source means you have the right to read, modify, recompile, change,
> run, redistribute, and generally do what you like with the source code.
>
> GPL'd Free Open Sourec software generally permits all of the above
> provided you make your modifications available if you redistribute the
> code.
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>

Why would they want everyone to know how they control thier jets....
 
Reply With Quote
 
RJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> "The UK has warned America that it will cancel its 12bn order for the Joint
> Strike Fighter if the US does not hand over full access to the computer
> software code that controls the jets.
>
> Lord Drayson, minister for defence procurement, told the The Daily Telegraph
> that the planes were useless without control of the software as they could
> effectively be "switched off" by the Americans without warning."
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...strike-fighter


No you don't need Open Source because you don't want commies and other
morons working out how to build their own better planes with such
software.

Anyone who thinks it's a great thing that commies can find out how to
build their own planes and get software like this given away is a
totally moronic drongo.

As the article says "The problem stems from strict US guidelines on the
transfer of technology to other countries. Under current rules any
British requests for the use of US technology can take 20 days to go
through, obviously limiting the usefulness of a jet strike force."

The problem is the socialist retard government the poms have at the
moment. Blair has his head screewed on the right way but most of his
lackeys in the cabinet are too busy singing The Red Flag.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is a good open source python project to be used as example? Andrea Francia Python 3 12-16-2008 08:18 PM
How do you open a Java open source project in an IDE Sathyaish Java 3 01-11-2007 12:19 PM
Example / Open source ASP.NET / SQL application ahaupt@gmail.com ASP .Net 4 10-29-2005 01:59 PM
An example of why Open Source just doesn't work H.O.G NZ Computing 53 06-29-2005 06:07 AM
Open Source Conference in Japan: Open Source Realize Forum 2005 pat eyler Ruby 1 03-05-2005 03:50 AM



Advertisments