Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony Delays PlayStation 3 Until November

Sony Delays PlayStation 3 Until November

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/...03151116.shtml

"First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
distribution of Linux preinstalled."

That's excellent!

But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

news.xtra.co.nz

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/...03151116.shtml
>
> "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
> distribution of Linux preinstalled."
>
> That's excellent!
>
> But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
> forever.
> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
to mean a terrible UI.

Mutley

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/...03151116.shtml
>>
>> "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
>> distribution of Linux preinstalled."
>>
>> That's excellent!
>>
>> But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.
>>

>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>
>> --
>> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
>> forever.
>> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
>> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
>>

>awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
>to mean a terrible UI.

Why should it be?? I've seen some good linux GUIs

I suspect that Sony's home entertainment and home electronics groups
are having some infighting over the inclusion of DRM in the player and
PS3..

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:49:51 +1300 when I remembered
"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
>to mean a terrible UI.

I doubt that. In the face of competition from the Xbox 360 which has a
one year lead in terms of release date, to produce anything lesser
would be pretty foolish.

And don't forget Revolution in Japan, this may shake things up.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/...03151116.shtml
>>
>>"First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
>>distribution of Linux preinstalled."
>>
>>That's excellent!
>>
>>But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.

> awesome about the 60gb drive, but, too bad they are using linux - guaranteed
> to mean a terrible UI.

I doubt it will be a Linux system in terms of what we currently see.
Probably more like just enough of a system to control the device, and
provide some media play/encode functions, all controlled from a custom
Sony UI designed for the PS3 alone...

Terrible UI huh? I could ask you to explain why you think that, but I
suspect you're trolling...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Daniel

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> http://www.gamingexcellence.com/ps3/...03151116.shtml
>
> "First, the system will include an upgradeable 60GB hard drive, with a
> distribution of Linux preinstalled."
>
> That's excellent!
>
> But pity about the DRM that will be built into the Blu Ray format.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Will be an interesting time for Sony.

The XBox 360 is quite an outstanding piece of kit, and from what I've
read it's GPU is superior (markedly) to the PS3 equivalent. The RSX has
been tapped out for sometime, so I wouldn't expect any surprises when
the VapourStation 3 eventually surfaces (personally, I won't be betting
the house on a November release date).

Microsoft have been losing money on the Xbox since it's inception, and
they budget for that. They can do that, because they make billions on
their other businesses.

Sony, on the other hand, actually made money on their consoles (contrary
to popular myth) - makes a big difference when you're effectively the
sole manufacturer for all components. Unlike Microsoft, Sony's other
businesses haven't been doing so well - AFAIK. So, I wonder if to some
degree Sony's entertainment division has been propping them a wee bit
(i.e Playstation)? - anyone please correct me on that one.
So now it looks like Sony will be playing the very very dangerous game
of losing money (a *lot* of money) to make money in the long term.

This isn't exactly the same situation as Dreamcast IMO (Sega sold too
many at a loss to recover), since the Playstation already has a very
respectable pedigree, and being able to play older PS1 and PS2 games is
a very attractive feature (a shame the 360 isn't backward compatible).

Personally, I think Sony have already made a number of errors with the
PS3. Arrogance? - who knows.
However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for
the sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the
early rounds in this war.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:19:53 +1300, Daniel wrote:

> However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for
> the sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the
> early rounds in this war.

How can you say that Micro$oft is winning "the early rounds in this war"
when Micro$oft was an extremely late entrant in the games console market?

The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
a customized version of M$ Windoze.

If Micro$oft had to sell the xbox at a price where it wasn't loosing
money on it, instead of selling it as a loss-leader, then the xbox would
be considerably more expensive.

Instead, Micro$oft can use resources gained through being a monopolistic
bully in one market to stomp all over the players in the games console
market.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:20:24 +1300 when I remembered Have A
Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
>a customized version of M$ Windoze.

Try comparing the Xbox 360 with the Playstation 3.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:36:18 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> T'was the Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:20:24 +1300 when I remembered Have A
> Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>The Xbox is not even a proper games console - it's a regular computer with
>>a customized version of M$ Windoze.

> Try comparing the Xbox 360 with the Playstation 3.

Why? I don't use those toys.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Daniel

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:19:53 +1300, Daniel wrote:
>

>>However, I do hope Sony stay in the gaming market long term, just for
>>the sake of keeping Microsoft honest - who, I must say are winning the
>>early rounds in this war.

> How can you say that Micro$oft is winning "the early rounds in this war"
> when Micro$oft was an extremely late entrant in the games console market?

Apologies. I meant the rounds of the next/current-gen consoles - that
war (360 vs PS3) - although, I have a sneaking suspicion that you knew
that implication anyhow.

I think Sony have already won the PS2 vs Xbox war (which is still running).