Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony Delays PlayStation 3 Until November

Reply
Thread Tools

Sony Delays PlayStation 3 Until November

 
 
Murray Symon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2006
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:51:11 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:18:51 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I'd like to see a Fedora Student Ambassador at Waikato.
>> It'd be good to chat and maybe run some joint presentations on common
>> technologies such as directory services, web services etc...

>
> If by "technology" you mean "software", then there is *nothing* "common"
> between Micro$oft software and Open Source software.
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea


Of course there is.
Otherwise how else could you send email from a Microsoft PC to a Linux PC?
Or how else could you view a web page on a Windows PC when it is served by
a Linux Web server?
How could you read a CD-ROM in a Linux PC that was burnt on a Windows PC?
How could you share a file between an NT server and a RedHat workstation?

It is the common technologies (such as Ethernet, TCP-IP, USB, POP3, etc.)
that allow such systems to co-exist and cooperate.

Murray.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:49:07 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

>> If by "technology" you mean "software", then there is *nothing* "common"
>> between Micro$oft software and Open Source software.
>>
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

>
> Of course there is.
> Otherwise how else could you send email from a Microsoft PC to a Linux PC?
> Or how else could you view a web page on a Windows PC when it is served by
> a Linux Web server?
> How could you read a CD-ROM in a Linux PC that was burnt on a Windows PC?
> How could you share a file between an NT server and a RedHat workstation?
>
> It is the common technologies (such as Ethernet, TCP-IP, USB, POP3, etc.)
> that allow such systems to co-exist and cooperate.


What you mention are published standards, not software products.

And even then, Micro$oft does not properly support all standards that
apply to the WWW. (and I don't mean unimplemented features)


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:05:44 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:02:41 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:49:07 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:
>>
>>>> If by "technology" you mean "software", then there is *nothing*
>>>> "common" between Micro$oft software and Open Source software.
>>>>
>>>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>>
>>> Of course there is.
>>> Otherwise how else could you send email from a Microsoft PC to a Linux
>>> PC? Or how else could you view a web page on a Windows PC when it is
>>> served by a Linux Web server?
>>> How could you read a CD-ROM in a Linux PC that was burnt on a Windows
>>> PC? How could you share a file between an NT server and a RedHat
>>> workstation?
>>>
>>> It is the common technologies (such as Ethernet, TCP-IP, USB, POP3,
>>> etc.) that allow such systems to co-exist and cooperate.

>>
>> What you mention are published standards, not software products.
>>
>>
>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

>
> Yes, that's right.
> Maybe you don't understand what Waylon means by "common technologies"?


Well if Waylon meant "Open and published interoperability standards used
by all major platforms" then he should have said so.

But as for software, there is nothing "common" between Micro$oft's
enslaved close source code and the Free and Open code released under the
GNU GPL.


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is forever.
2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Murray Symon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:02:41 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:49:07 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>>> If by "technology" you mean "software", then there is *nothing*
>>> "common" between Micro$oft software and Open Source software.
>>>
>>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

>>
>> Of course there is.
>> Otherwise how else could you send email from a Microsoft PC to a Linux
>> PC? Or how else could you view a web page on a Windows PC when it is
>> served by a Linux Web server?
>> How could you read a CD-ROM in a Linux PC that was burnt on a Windows
>> PC? How could you share a file between an NT server and a RedHat
>> workstation?
>>
>> It is the common technologies (such as Ethernet, TCP-IP, USB, POP3,
>> etc.) that allow such systems to co-exist and cooperate.

>
> What you mention are published standards, not software products.
>
>
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea


Yes, that's right.
Maybe you don't understand what Waylon means by "common technologies"?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Waylon Kenning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
T'was the Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:46:58 +1200 when I remembered Have A
Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Well if Waylon meant "Open and published interoperability standards used
>by all major platforms" then he should have said so.


Dude, wake up. I said exactly what I meant to say, no more and no
less. If you didn't understand what I meant, that's something I can
live with.

And for news in the real world, I've made some progress towards doing
some joint presentations at the university. Some things I'm interested
in covering would be authenticating Windows machines on a Linux domain
controller, and vice versa. Any other suggests for good joint topics
to be covered?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.
See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Have A Nice Cup of Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:57:56 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> Some things I'm interested
> in covering would be authenticating Windows machines on a Linux domain
> controller, and vice versa.


What is a "Linux domain controller"? Come to think of it, what is a "Linux
domain"?


Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
freedom of choice."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Waylon Kenning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
T'was the Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:34:07 +1200 when I remembered Have A
Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>> Some things I'm interested
>> in covering would be authenticating Windows machines on a Linux domain
>> controller, and vice versa.

>
>What is a "Linux domain controller"? Come to think of it, what is a "Linux
>domain"?


Google it.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.
See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2006
Daniel wrote:
> So now it looks like Sony will be playing the very very dangerous game
> of losing money (a *lot* of money) to make money in the long term.
>


Just seen an ad for a Sony blue-ray player here (courtesy of digg):-
http://tinyurl.com/hteza
(http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....19&lid=P1_m31a)

Initial impressions:-
1. $1000 USD!!! - ouch
2. Physically big - how they will fit that drive into the prototyped PS3
casing is beyond me

So, I guess Sony are going to be losing a lot more money that I first
thought.

Interesting comments at digg about the player especially, particularly
the negativity towards blu-ray DRM.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
! NOVEMBER ! PHREEKIN' NOVEMBER... Bucky Breeder Computer Support 5 08-01-2010 09:12 PM
Delays-delays-delays Colin Palmer Computer Support 5 02-26-2008 04:41 AM
PLAYSTATION 3 to Arrive in Early November 2006 with Linux Au79 Computer Support 0 03-18-2006 11:35 PM
World Wide Licenses Delays Polaroid X530 from June until September Steven M. Scharf Digital Photography 0 06-02-2004 07:03 AM
delays: inertial delays vs. transport delays Neil Zanella VHDL 2 10-20-2003 07:27 AM



Advertisments