Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Which machine should I replace first?

Which machine should I replace first?

Alan

Hi All,

Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or
2003 etc etc):

Compaq - SB M30
P4 - 1500
256 Mb RAM

OR

Compaq - D380MX
Celeron - 1700
384 Mb RAM

If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for
any length of time to see for myself.

My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or
> 2003 etc etc):
>

> Compaq - SB M30
> P4 - 1500
> 256 Mb RAM
>
> OR
>
> Compaq - D380MX
> Celeron - 1700
> 384 Mb RAM
>

> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for
> any length of time to see for myself.
>
> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
>

> Any opinions?

What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep it.
They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been dogs,
only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an AMD64.

Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a reformat and
reinstall cannot fix.

But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Alan

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
>> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
>> or
>> 2003 etc etc):
>>

>> Compaq - SB M30
>> P4 - 1500
>> 256 Mb RAM
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Compaq - D380MX
>> Celeron - 1700
>> 384 Mb RAM
>>

>> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
>> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
>> for
>> any length of time to see for myself.
>>
>> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
>> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
>>

>> Any opinions?

> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
> it.
> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
> dogs,
> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
> AMD64.

How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?

> Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
> reformat and
> reinstall cannot fix.

That happens regularly anyway.

> But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
> Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them) and
get 'something good' there.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

thingy@nowhere.commy

Alan wrote:
> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
>>>first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
>>>or
>>>2003 etc etc):
>>>

>>>Compaq - SB M30
>>>P4 - 1500
>>>256 Mb RAM
>>>
>>>OR
>>>
>>>Compaq - D380MX
>>>Celeron - 1700
>>>384 Mb RAM
>>>

>>>If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
>>>runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
>>>for
>>>any length of time to see for myself.
>>>
>>>My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
>>>Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
>>>

>>>Any opinions?

>>What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
>>it.
>>They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
>>dogs,
>>only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
>>AMD64.
>>

> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?
>
> We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
> question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?
>

>>Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
>>reformat and
>>reinstall cannot fix.
>>

> That happens regularly anyway.
>

>>But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
>>Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?
>>

> Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them) and
> get 'something good' there.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

The CPUs on these are pretty reasonable IMHO.

How big are the hds? I suspect fairly small, hence slower generation.

I would add 512meg of Ram to each, and swap in 250 Gig Hitachi T7K250s
(or similar) and re-install.

regards

Thing

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:58:08 +1300, Alan wrote:

> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
>>> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
>>> or
>>> 2003 etc etc):
>>>

>>> Compaq - SB M30
>>> P4 - 1500
>>> 256 Mb RAM
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> Compaq - D380MX
>>> Celeron - 1700
>>> 384 Mb RAM
>>>

>>> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
>>> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
>>> for
>>> any length of time to see for myself.
>>>
>>> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
>>> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
>>>

>>> Any opinions?

>> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
>> it.
>> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
>> dogs,
>> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
>> AMD64.
>>

> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

Actually, come to think of it, a Celeron 1700 is a crippled P4.

I think the fastest of the Tualatins were 1400, but there were not many of
them made. Most of the Tualatins topped out at 1300.

A celeron 1300 is better/more productive than a celeron 1700.

> We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
> question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?

Having thought about it a little more, dump the 1700. The P4 is still more
than fast enough for corporate use. No reason to scrap that, unless you're
wanting to reduce electricity consumption.

>> Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
>> reformat and reinstall cannot fix.

> That happens regularly anyway.
>
>> But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
>> Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

> Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them) and
> get 'something good' there.

I mean, give your desktop users some good software instead of the
Microsoft shite.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Mary Ann Fisher: "Governments worldwide are spending more than US$3 billion
a year on Linux hardware, software and services, and this is growing at 35%

-=rjh=-

Alan wrote:
> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
>>> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
>>> or
>>> 2003 etc etc):
>>>

>>> Compaq - SB M30
>>> P4 - 1500
>>> 256 Mb RAM
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> Compaq - D380MX
>>> Celeron - 1700
>>> 384 Mb RAM
>>>

>>> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
>>> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
>>> for
>>> any length of time to see for myself.
>>>
>>> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
>>> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
>>>

>>> Any opinions?

>> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
>> it.
>> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
>> dogs,
>> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
>> AMD64.
>>

> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

Nope, run Lavalys' Everest Home on each machine, it will tell you what
is on each machine in excruciating detail.

I'd put more memory into the machine you keep, whichever one that is.

Bret

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
>first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or
>2003 etc etc):
>

>Compaq - SB M30
>P4 - 1500
>256 Mb RAM
>
>OR
>
>Compaq - D380MX
>Celeron - 1700
>384 Mb RAM
>

>If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
>runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for
>any length of time to see for myself.
>
>My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
>Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
>

>Any opinions?

I'd shoot the P4 just on instinct

Alan

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
>> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then
>>>keep it.
>>>They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
>>>dogs,
>>>only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
>>>AMD64.
>>>

>> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?
>>
>> We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
>> question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?
>>

>>>Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
>>>reformat and
>>>reinstall cannot fix.
>>>

>> That happens regularly anyway.
>>

>>>But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
>>>Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?
>>>

>> Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them)
>> and get 'something good' there.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> The CPUs on these are pretty reasonable IMHO.
>
> How big are the hds? I suspect fairly small, hence slower
> generation.
>
> I would add 512meg of Ram to each, and swap in 250 Gig Hitachi
> T7K250s (or similar) and re-install.
>
> regards
>

> Thing

The CPUs are indeed okay, and we have many machines in the P4-1600 to
P4-2000 range still. The two machines have HDDs that are not an issue
size-wise (P4 = 18Gb / Celeron = 37Gb) given that we rarely see usage
of the disk over 10Gb currently sine all data is on the network.

However, we have a policy of buying replacements of a minumum spec
(P4-2400, PXE, 512 Mb L2-Cache, 400 Mhx FSB, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, 2
USB, inc WinXP Pro) if we can get them below a given price. The
latest replacement cost me $319 (net) ex-lease so I was pretty happy
with that.

Our policy is aimed at keeping our specs high enough that by the time
the P4-2000 (for example) are starting to struggle (Vista perhaps?) we
will be getting around to replacing them without costing us too much -
it seems to be okay so far.

We re-install (from image) regularly - at least once a year and often
more frequently than that whenever a machine gets moved around (person
moves - uses machine at that desk, and old machine gets re-imaged
before someone else takes that desk).

Anyway, the only question is still which one to keep and which one to
ditch? One is going on TradeMe - which should it be?

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:58:08 +1300, Alan wrote:
>

>> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then
>>> keep
>>> it.
>>> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
>>> dogs,
>>> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
>>> AMD64.
>>>

>> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

> Actually, come to think of it, a Celeron 1700 is a crippled P4.
>
> I think the fastest of the Tualatins were 1400, but there were not
> many of
> them made. Most of the Tualatins topped out at 1300.
>
> A celeron 1300 is better/more productive than a celeron 1700.
>

>> We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
>> question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?

> Having thought about it a little more, dump the 1700. The P4 is
> still more
> than fast enough for corporate use. No reason to scrap that, unless
> you're
> wanting to reduce electricity consumption.

Okay - that's fair comment.

I was thinking along the same lines.

>>> Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
>>> reformat and reinstall cannot fix.

>> That happens regularly anyway.
>>
>>> But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
>>> Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

>> Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them)
>> and
>> get 'something good' there.

> I mean, give your desktop users some good software instead of the
> Microsoft shite.

That's not on the cards - I just need to decide which machine to put
on TradeMe.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

> Nope, run Lavalys' Everest Home on each machine, it will tell you
> what is on each machine in excruciating detail.
>
> I'd put more memory into the machine you keep, whichever one that
> is.

Looks like its no longer available - discontinued:

http://www.lavalys.com/news.php?arti...cat=PR&lang=en

Any other suggestions anyone?