Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > UBS currently down?

UBS currently down?

Shaun \(~misfit~\)

My UBS has dropped out today for the first time since Actrix did what Orcon
wouldn't and got Telecom to fix my line. Been out for a half-hour or so now.
I rang Actrix and hit '1' for network status and they said Telecom were
experiencing NZ-wide problems and I could be getting "failure to
authenticate" problems. A friend just called me on an unrelated matter and
they're connected just fine through Xtra right now, it would seem only the
wholesale ISPs are affected. Another insidious attempt by Telecom to reduce
the public's opinion of ISPs other than Xtra?

Xtra should be forced to use the same UBS offering that all the other ISPs
have to use. To not do so is unfair (and illegal?) manipulation of the
market.

Anyone else having problems? It must be big as it's Actrix's opening message
on their helpdesk line.
--
Shaun (~misfit~)

Chris Hope

Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:

> My UBS has dropped out today for the first time since Actrix did what
> Orcon wouldn't and got Telecom to fix my line. Been out for a
> half-hour or so now. I rang Actrix and hit '1' for network status and
> they said Telecom were experiencing NZ-wide problems and I could be
> getting "failure to authenticate" problems. A friend just called me on
> an unrelated matter and they're connected just fine through Xtra right
> now, it would seem only the wholesale ISPs are affected. Another
> insidious attempt by Telecom to reduce the public's opinion of ISPs
> other than Xtra?
>
> Xtra should be forced to use the same UBS offering that all the other
> ISPs have to use. To not do so is unfair (and illegal?) manipulation
> of the market.
>
> Anyone else having problems? It must be big as it's Actrix's opening
> message on their helpdesk line.

It's working for me using Orcon.

Shaun \(~misfit~\)

Chris Hope wrote:
> Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
>
>> My UBS has dropped out today for the first time since Actrix did what
>> Orcon wouldn't and got Telecom to fix my line. Been out for a
>> half-hour or so now. I rang Actrix and hit '1' for network status and
>> they said Telecom were experiencing NZ-wide problems and I could be
>> getting "failure to authenticate" problems. A friend just called me
>> on an unrelated matter and they're connected just fine through Xtra
>> right now, it would seem only the wholesale ISPs are affected.
>> Another insidious attempt by Telecom to reduce the public's opinion
>> of ISPs other than Xtra?
>>
>> Xtra should be forced to use the same UBS offering that all the other
>> ISPs have to use. To not do so is unfair (and illegal?) manipulation
>> of the market.
>>
>> Anyone else having problems? It must be big as it's Actrix's opening
>> message on their helpdesk line.

> It's working for me using Orcon.

Yeah, working for me too now. (Or I couldn't have posted). It was out for
over 30 minutes, not sure exactly how long.

Cheers,
--
Shaun (~misfit~)

miguellint@yahoo.com

Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:

> My UBS has dropped out today for the first time since Actrix did what Orcon
> wouldn't and got Telecom to fix my line. Been out for a half-hour or so now.
> I rang Actrix and hit '1' for network status and they said Telecom were
> experiencing NZ-wide problems and I could be getting "failure to
> authenticate" problems. A friend just called me on an unrelated matter and
> they're connected just fine through Xtra right now, it would seem only the
> wholesale ISPs are affected. Another insidious attempt by Telecom to reduce
> the public's opinion of ISPs other than Xtra?
>
> Xtra should be forced to use the same UBS offering that all the other ISPs
> have to use. To not do so is unfair (and illegal?) manipulation of the
> market.
>
> Anyone else having problems? It must be big as it's Actrix's opening message
> on their helpdesk line.
> --
> Shaun (~misfit~)

Howdy Shaun,

Actrix was down for me too, from just after midday for an hour or so. I
phoned the helpdesk at 12:30-ish and they apologised and said "not too
sure where the problem is but we're working on it. Sorry". Half an hour
later things were back to normal.

A nation-wide failure as opposed something local obviously.

Blame Telecom. That's what I always do

Regards
Miguel

David Empson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
>
> > My UBS has dropped out today for the first time since Actrix did what Orcon
> > wouldn't and got Telecom to fix my line. Been out for a half-hour or so now.
> > I rang Actrix and hit '1' for network status and they said Telecom were
> > experiencing NZ-wide problems and I could be getting "failure to
> > authenticate" problems.

> Actrix was down for me too, from just after midday for an hour or so.

Same here. My router's log says it started at 12:15 and was almost bang
on an hour.

Oddly enough, there was a similar outage last Wednesday, but it didn't
last as long.

--
David Empson

anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
UBS upgrades... Telecom screwing us again? The Other Guy NZ Computing 60 10-11-2004 02:03 AM
UBS back on track EMB NZ Computing 17 08-29-2004 04:24 AM
UBS 1 or 2? Bozo Computer Support 5 08-21-2004 11:48 PM
UBS news. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 13 08-20-2004 03:22 AM

Advertisments