Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > open office looking to support excel macros......

open office looking to support excel macros......

thing2

"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
Excel spreadsheet macros."

seems topical in here at present......

regards

Thing

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:

> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>
> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
> interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
> Excel spreadsheet macros."
>
> seems topical in here at present......

Indeed.

It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.

It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
worth trying out.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Alan

"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>
> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
> interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common
> Microsoft Excel spreadsheet macros."
>
> seems topical in here at present......
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Now *that* would seriously reduce the potential cost of OOo to many
businesses.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

The Jesus of Suburbia

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:
>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>>
>> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
>> interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
>> Excel spreadsheet macros."
>>
>> seems topical in here at present......

> Indeed.
>
> It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
> changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
> it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.
>
> It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
> worth trying out.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
> forever.
> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

And the gold medal for use of the phrase "very much" goes to........

The Jesus of Suburbia

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KBpRf.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>>
>> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro interpreter
>> for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft Excel
>> spreadsheet macros."
>>
>> seems topical in here at present......
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

> Now *that* would seriously reduce the potential cost of OOo to many
> businesses.
>
> Alan.
>

> --

I disagree. I know of only a handful of business users of MS Office for whom
macros are a stumbling block to moving to OOo. OOo's biggest problems are
performance and the lack of a fully-integrated email client. At least 90% of
the businesses I deal with have evaluated OOo and none of them has made the
move. Yes the price is right but currently the product isn't.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:10:23 +1300, The Jesus of Suburbia wrote:

> And the gold medal for use of the phrase "very much" goes to........

Looks like the chimps are back in Kelburn zoo.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
"How on earth do you manage to convince someone to switch a computer
on in the morning for you is beyond me."

thingy@nowhere.commy

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:
>

>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>>
>>"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
>>interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
>>Excel spreadsheet macros."
>>
>>seems topical in here at present......

> Indeed.
>
> It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
> changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
> it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.
>
> It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
> worth trying out.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Interesting that they have dropped the "Novell" from the Linux and put
back in Suse....big company marketing at its finest......ug....

regards

Steven

thingy@nowhere.commy

The Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KBpRf.6069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>>>
>>>"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro interpreter
>>>for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft Excel
>>>spreadsheet macros."
>>>
>>>seems topical in here at present......
>>>
>>>regards
>>>
>>>Thing
>>>

>>Now *that* would seriously reduce the potential cost of OOo to many
>>businesses.
>>
>>Alan.
>>

>>--
>>

> I disagree. I know of only a handful of business users of MS Office for whom
> macros are a stumbling block to moving to OOo. OOo's biggest problems are
> performance and the lack of a fully-integrated email client. At least 90% of
> the businesses I deal with have evaluated OOo and none of them has made the
> move. Yes the price is right but currently the product isn't.

Start up performance or every day performance?

I find oOo's start up slow, however once in use I find no issues with
how fast it runs, even on my lowly hardware.

I dont find the "integrated" email client a biggee either, forcing users
to use a buggy/worm/virus/trojan/key-logger/spyware riddled outlook is
no plus in my book.

The biggest stumbling blocks I find for oOo is,

The people who are barely capable of using any Office suite let alone
moving to a new one....

plus the not few small businesses who have a high % of pirated software
(and not just MS Office) so have no incentive to swap, both Offices are
in effect free to them.

Plus the many NT admins I come across who quite happily support such
businesses and indeed illegally use such software themselves.....

My conclusion is, I dont try and go near such businesses and dont send
oOo or OSS their way either.

regards

Thing

Joe Black

"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>
> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
> interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
> Excel spreadsheet macros."
>
> seems topical in here at present......
>
> regards
>
> Thing

What are the most common Excel spreadsheet macros?

- Joe

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:26:20 +1300, (E-Mail Removed)y wrote:

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60312052013937
>>>
>>>"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
>>>interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
>>>Excel spreadsheet macros."
>>>
>>>seems topical in here at present......

>> Indeed.
>>
>> It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
>> changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
>> it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.
>>
>> It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
>> worth trying out.
>>

>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>

> Interesting that they have dropped the "Novell" from the Linux and put
> back in Suse....big company marketing at its finest......ug....
>
> regards
>
> Steven

I think it's a good thing to go back to using "SuSE" as the name of
Novell's distro of Linux.

The "SuSE" brand has a good reputation. I think Novell should never have
attempted a "Novell" branded Linux.

I just hope that Novell, in it's zeal to take on the enterprise market,
does not wreck the best features of SuSE - not least being KDE as the
default desktop.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea