Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When I got my first computer

When I got my first computer

Troggles

The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.

Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh

Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

XPD

"Troggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kg_Qf.5782$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
> You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.
>
> Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run Toshiba
> virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the screen
> sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net meter,
> Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
>
> Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
> give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

Hehe

I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in thing,
has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast
Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands (Id better
be PC :-p) doing housework.... it still takes the same amount of time now as
it did 50 years ago

Enkidu

Troggles wrote:
> The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
> You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.
>
> Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
> Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
> screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
> meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
>
> Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
> give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

Yeah, but you can wait a lot faster these days.

Cheers,

Cliff

MarkH

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in
> thing, has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast
> Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands (Id
> better be PC :-p) doing housework.... it still takes the same amount
> of time now as it did 50 years ago

Or as I saw on 20/20 Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity - housework takes
less time thanks to labour saving devices, hence we now have more free
time.

My Grandmother used to take hours to do the laundry (heating the copper,
rubbing the clothes on the washboard, etc) whereas I bung the laundry in a
machine, add power and press a button.

With today's PCs we may spend as much or more time on them, but we are able
to get the machines to do much more than the old 386s were ever capable of.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

GraB

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:03:41 +1300, Troggles <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The way to get optimum performance was to run on as little as possible.
> You know, to have just the minimum requirements running during operation.
>
>Now with my laptop, in addition to anti virus etc, now i gotta run
>Toshiba virtual sound, the synatpcis pointing device, (mouse pad) the
>screen sizing thingmagig, in order to check me broad band usage Net
>meter, Toshiba touch and launch and all sorts of other crap. Geesh
>
>Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
>give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

Wait till Vista comes out.

GraB

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:22:03 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I bet your productivity/time used back when 386sx-20's were the in
>> thing, has not changed even though youre now on a P4 3.6ghz beast
>> Its as I read in a tech magazine ages ago.... housewive/husbands (Id
>> better be PC :-p) doing housework.... it still takes the same amount
>> of time now as it did 50 years ago

>Or as I saw on 20/20 Myths, Lies and Downright Stupidity - housework takes
>less time thanks to labour saving devices, hence we now have more free
>time.
>
>My Grandmother used to take hours to do the laundry (heating the copper,
>rubbing the clothes on the washboard, etc) whereas I bung the laundry in a
>machine, add power and press a button.

Does your power come in a carton? How many scoops do you use?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:03:41 +1300, Troggles wrote:

> Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
> give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

Redmond seems to be of the opinion that the faster the computer, the more
the OS can hog those resources for itself.

This is but another reason not to use that OS.

In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:58:33 +1300, GraB wrote:

>>Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
>>give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

> Wait till Vista comes out.

<sniggaaaar>

Yeah!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

RJ

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:03:41 +1300, Troggles wrote:
>
> > Seems to me that the more speed they give computers the more crap they
> > give em to do. Or am I just gettin old and cranky

> Redmond seems to be of the opinion that the faster the computer, the more
> the OS can hog those resources for itself.

To get things done that the user wants.

> This is but another reason not to use that OS.
>
> In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

Because everyone who isn't a moron themselves knows that morons write
viruses and infect computers with them.

The supposedly "safe" Mac OS has been shown to be susceptible to
viruses, there just aren't as many that have been written yet.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:40:14 +1300, RJ wrote:

>> In the first place why should there be a need to run anti-virus software?!

> Because everyone who isn't a moron themselves knows that morons write
> viruses and infect computers with them.

And the next question is HOW can a "moron" write a virus?

And, moreover, why does Redmond's OS and browser AND email client have
default settings and configurations that permit those viruses to work so
very easily?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea