Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > changing "from" name

changing "from" name

Phil Doran

I've just changed to XP from ME. I want to get back to the name I always
used to post to newsgroups, (Geopelia) showing in the "from" column. For
some reason, this has changed.

I've tried switching identities, but then everything disappears.
I can't find anything relevant in any of the Help menus.

How do I just change the name please, keeping everything else as it is?

Also, the Sent items have all the dates jumbled up. I've tried "sort
ascending" and "sort descending" but the messages remain out of order.

Thank you

Geopelia

Jonno

"Phil Doran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T5TQf.5752$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just changed to XP from ME. I want to get back to the name I always
> used to post to newsgroups, (Geopelia) showing in the "from" column. For
> some reason, this has changed.
>
> I've tried switching identities, but then everything disappears.
> I can't find anything relevant in any of the Help menus.
>
> How do I just change the name please, keeping everything else as it is?

It appears you are using Outlook Express.
In OE go to the "Tools" menu at the top of the page and choose
"Accounts..." from the drop down menu.
Click on the "News" tab and double click your news account shown in the box.
In the properties box that appears put the name you want in the "Name" box
You can also xhange the other User Information if you want.

> Also, the Sent items have all the dates jumbled up. I've tried "sort
> ascending" and "sort descending" but the messages remain out of order.

In OE, left clicking the "Sent" bar at the top of the messages should put
all the dates in calendar order. A second click will change in order top to
bottom or bottom to top. Likewise left clicking the "From" bar will let you
list messages by peoples names..."Subject" by subject etc.

> Thank you
>
> Geopelia

Of course you do know you should have used Linux LOL

Geopelia

"Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44143f24$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Phil Doran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:T5TQf.5752$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've just changed to XP from ME. I want to get back to the name I always
>> used to post to newsgroups, (Geopelia) showing in the "from" column. For
>> some reason, this has changed.
>>
>> I've tried switching identities, but then everything disappears.
>> I can't find anything relevant in any of the Help menus.
>>
>> How do I just change the name please, keeping everything else as it is?

> It appears you are using Outlook Express.
> In OE go to the "Tools" menu at the top of the page and choose
> "Accounts..." from the drop down menu.
> Click on the "News" tab and double click your news account shown in the
> box.
> In the properties box that appears put the name you want in the "Name" box
> You can also xhange the other User Information if you want.
>>
>> Also, the Sent items have all the dates jumbled up. I've tried "sort
>> ascending" and "sort descending" but the messages remain out of order.

> In OE, left clicking the "Sent" bar at the top of the messages should put
> all the dates in calendar order. A second click will change in order top
> to bottom or bottom to top. Likewise left clicking the "From" bar will let
> you list messages by peoples names..."Subject" by subject etc.
>

>> Thank you
>>
>> Geopelia
>>

> Of course you do know you should have used Linux LOL

Thank you. I've changed the name and got the dates right now.
One of those things that is so easy once you know how, but none of the help
menus seem to have it! I suppose the kids learn it in school these days and
they think everybody knows.

XP seems a great improvement on ME.

Thanks for your help

Geopelia

Jonno

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i35Rf.5884$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44143f24$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Phil Doran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:T5TQf.5752$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've just changed to XP from ME. I want to get back to the name I always
>>> used to post to newsgroups, (Geopelia) showing in the "from" column. For
>>> some reason, this has changed.
>>>
>>> I've tried switching identities, but then everything disappears.
>>> I can't find anything relevant in any of the Help menus.
>>>
>>> How do I just change the name please, keeping everything else as it is?

>> It appears you are using Outlook Express.
>> In OE go to the "Tools" menu at the top of the page and choose
>> "Accounts..." from the drop down menu.
>> Click on the "News" tab and double click your news account shown in the
>> box.
>> In the properties box that appears put the name you want in the "Name"
>> box
>> You can also xhange the other User Information if you want.
>>>
>>> Also, the Sent items have all the dates jumbled up. I've tried "sort
>>> ascending" and "sort descending" but the messages remain out of order.

>> In OE, left clicking the "Sent" bar at the top of the messages should put
>> all the dates in calendar order. A second click will change in order top
>> to bottom or bottom to top. Likewise left clicking the "From" bar will
>> let you list messages by peoples names..."Subject" by subject etc.
>>

>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Geopelia
>>>

>> Of course you do know you should have used Linux LOL
>>

> Thank you. I've changed the name and got the dates right now.
> One of those things that is so easy once you know how, but none of the
> help menus seem to have it! I suppose the kids learn it in school these
> days and they think everybody knows.
>
> XP seems a great improvement on ME.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Geopelia

Yeah, those young wippersnappers. Us oldies have to stick together eh. LOL

Geopelia

"Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i35Rf.5884$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:44143f24$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Phil Doran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:T5TQf.5752$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It appears you are using Outlook Express.
>>> In OE go to the "Tools" menu at the top of the page and choose
>>> "Accounts..." from the drop down menu.
>>> Click on the "News" tab and double click your news account shown in the
>>> box.
>>> In the properties box that appears put the name you want in the "Name"
>>> box
>>> You can also xhange the other User Information if you want.

>>> In OE, left clicking the "Sent" bar at the top of the messages should
>>> put all the dates in calendar order. A second click will change in order
>>> top to bottom or bottom to top. Likewise left clicking the "From" bar
>>> will let you list messages by peoples names..."Subject" by subject etc.

>>> Of course you do know you should have used Linux LOL
>>>

>> Thank you. I've changed the name and got the dates right now.
>> One of those things that is so easy once you know how, but none of the
>> help menus seem to have it! I suppose the kids learn it in school these
>> days and they think everybody knows.
>>
>> XP seems a great improvement on ME.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Geopelia

> Yeah, those young wippersnappers. Us oldies have to stick together eh.
> LOL

I was born in 1929