Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Census online - less than impressed.

Census online - less than impressed.

-=rjh=-

Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first
attempt to complete census forms online.

I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
how many had problems?

All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the
Dwelling form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the
personal forms was received, even though they were both completed, and
these were done on two different systems, two different browsers, two
different networks.

The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper
forms that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few
problems with not receiving forms online.

I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only
shows the dwelling form as being completed.

Charlie G

No problem here - Dwelling & five personal forms done at once - all went
through OK & receipt issued & printed. Collector came next door & commented
on way past that ours were received so didn't have to visit.

Charlie

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first attempt
> to complete census forms online.
>
> I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
> how many had problems?
>
> All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the Dwelling
> form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the personal forms
> was received, even though they were both completed, and these were done on
> two different systems, two different browsers, two different networks.
>
> The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper forms
> that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few problems
> with not receiving forms online.
>
> I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
> issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
> should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only shows
> the dwelling form as being completed.

Mercury

No problems here.
Considering a 1st attempt, the diabolical volume of people using the system
during the evening that was bouund to occur I thought it was highly
responsive, well laid out and so on.

Using multiple browser types and so multiple cookies (if any) may cause
issues.

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first attempt
> to complete census forms online.
>
> I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
> how many had problems?
>
> All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the Dwelling
> form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the personal forms
> was received, even though they were both completed, and these were done on
> two different systems, two different browsers, two different networks.
>
> The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper forms
> that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few problems
> with not receiving forms online.
>
> I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
> issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
> should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only shows
> the dwelling form as being completed.

Ross Dawson

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:06:57 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first
>attempt to complete census forms online.
>
>I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
>how many had problems?
>
>All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the
>Dwelling form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the
>personal forms was received, even though they were both completed, and
>these were done on two different systems, two different browsers, two
>different networks.
>
>The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper
>forms that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few
>problems with not receiving forms online.
>
>I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
>issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
>should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only
>shows the dwelling form as being completed.

Yep had only one minor problem with the site, logging in where it kept
moving to the next field as soon as the allotted number of characters
was reached, the problem for me was that the numbers (hand written
ones) were a little unclear, 2's looked like 4's, so had to have a few
goes at logging in.

Apart from that though I had no problems and in fact it was a joy to
fill in the forms compared to completing the printed forms.

Now lets move onto elections!

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

miguellint@yahoo.com

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first
> attempt to complete census forms online.
>
> I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
> how many had problems?
>
> All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the
> Dwelling form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the
> personal forms was received, even though they were both completed, and
> these were done on two different systems, two different browsers, two
> different networks.
>
> The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper
> forms that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few
> problems with not receiving forms online.
>
> I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
> issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
> should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only
> shows the dwelling form as being completed.

Howdy rjh,

Not a problem here. One brown form and three blue forms done over three
sessions. Most impressed considering it's a first attempt for NZ Stats.
Still a bit po'd at being classified as "other: New Zealander"
(although that's for nz.gen, not nz.comp)

Regards
Miguel

KewlKiwi

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first
> attempt to complete census forms online.

Sent without a hitch!

Mind you, when we did the 'test census' last year I had to try 2
browsers and several tries before it got through. They did a follow-up
visit to get our feedback on the test and maybe that helped for the real
thing.

Bob

KewlKiwi

>... Most impressed considering it's a first attempt for NZ Stats.

Actually, it wasn't. They did a sample test last year. It was quite...
basic... compared with the real one!
Bob

-=rjh=-

Ross Dawson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:06:57 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first
>> attempt to complete census forms online.
>>
>> I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
>> how many had problems?
>>
>> All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the
>> Dwelling form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the
>> personal forms was received, even though they were both completed, and
>> these were done on two different systems, two different browsers, two
>> different networks.
>>
>> The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper
>> forms that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few
>> problems with not receiving forms online.
>>
>> I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
>> issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
>> should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only
>> shows the dwelling form as being completed.

> Yep had only one minor problem with the site, logging in where it kept
> moving to the next field as soon as the allotted number of characters
> was reached, the problem for me was that the numbers (hand written
> ones) were a little unclear, 2's looked like 4's, so had to have a few
> goes at logging in.
>
> Apart from that though I had no problems and in fact it was a joy to
> fill in the forms compared to completing the printed forms.

Yeah, having done both, I'd have to agree

I have no problem with the online forms or the way the site is
organised, it worked really well - the forms are dynamic so you only see
what you need to as you work through them. They did a good job, tax
should be this easy. I really liked the way the cursor moved to the next
entry almost automatically, but keyboard navigation seemed broken in a
few places, not a big deal, but it makes it harder for blind people.

I did have a couple of issues with the process after submitting the
form, though - you are supposed to view a receipt, but if you have never
done this before, how do you know this is supposed to happen?

The other issue was when you log out, you are faced with an error
message (your session has timed out), which is incorrect and confusing
for people who aren't confident with online activities - it should thank
you for completing the form ahead of the (possible) error message.

> Now lets move onto elections!

It would be nice, but even a single instance of the problems we've had
here throws doubt onto the whole process.

I've phoned the census helpline, and they say that quite a few people
did have issues, but they can't deal with it, could I call stats (who
only work normal hours, of course) as they need to talk to Datacom about it.

The only other factor that I can think of is that both forms were
completed at the same time on the night before census night.

-=rjh=-

Mercury wrote:
> No problems here.
> Considering a 1st attempt, the diabolical volume of people using the system
> during the evening that was bouund to occur I thought it was highly
> responsive, well laid out and so on.
>
> Using multiple browser types and so multiple cookies (if any) may cause
> issues.

Shouldn't do - there is no way to guarantee that all forms will be
completed on the same system. Surely cookies would be issued against
each form, if they were used at all?

I suppose there are privacy issues, but these days it should be possible
to save each entry as it is entered, so the state of the form is saved
between sessions (ie, you don't have to complete it in one session) and
you can confirm the final result. Like gmail does.

> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first attempt
>> to complete census forms online.
>>
>> I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
>> how many had problems?
>>
>> All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the Dwelling
>> form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the personal forms
>> was received, even though they were both completed, and these were done on
>> two different systems, two different browsers, two different networks.
>>
>> The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper forms
>> that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few problems
>> with not receiving forms online.
>>
>> I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
>> issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
>> should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only shows
>> the dwelling form as being completed.

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:06:57 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Well, I'd have to say that I'm less than impressed with the first
>attempt to complete census forms online.
>
>I figure that just about everyone here will have done theirs online - so
>how many had problems?
>
>All of the forms in our household were done online, and only the
>Dwelling form was received (and confirmation given) - neither of the
>personal forms was received, even though they were both completed, and
>these were done on two different systems, two different browsers, two
>different networks.
>
>The census collector has just left after asking us to fill out paper
>forms that she will coma back to collect, and she said they'd had a few
>problems with not receiving forms online.
>
>I suspect that this is actually a widespread problem, how many here had
>issues? When you log in to the census site with your ID and PIN, you
>should see a list of all the forms completed and received. Ours only
>shows the dwelling form as being completed.

The only problem here was that they wouldn't allow 2 people to do it
at the same time - said that there was already a session open using
our details, and to wait 10 mins.

Other than that, no problems experienced.

2010 census taking richard Computer Support 7 03-23-2010 06:56 PM
Is my site working correctly? Trying to get a census. yerk5 HTML 2 07-23-2008 10:27 PM
1901 census TGH Computer Support 1 10-26-2007 09:14 AM
[ANN] Tattle - The Ruby Census Chad Fowler Ruby 124 01-14-2007 06:18 PM

Advertisments