Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Novell's Linux Desktop 10, something to be impressed over.

Novell's Linux Desktop 10, something to be impressed over.

Waylon Kenning

I was reading http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124571,00.asp
which talks about Novell's Linux Desktop 10. Cool features I saw:

The forthcoming desktop Linux distribution also includes features for
business users, such as software for translating Visual Basic macros
in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet documents into their equivalent in
StarBasic, the macro language used by the open-source OpenOffice.org
productivity suite.

For the average home user, existing Linux distributions suffer from
one major flaw: they can't play MP3-format music files out of the box.
This is because the MP3 encoding system is patented, and the system
for licensing the patent is incompatible with the GPL open source
license under which Linux is distributed, Friedman says.

To get around that, Novell has developed its own MP3 player software,
Banshee, for which it has licensed the patents. The software will be
available under an open-source license, but not the GPL, he says. To
demonstrate Banshee, he connected an iPod nano music player to the USB
port of his laptop. Immediately, the software recognized the device,
adding the music it contained to the playlist and allowing him to play
one of the tracks.

Novell has also included software that recognizes when a digital
camera is connected to the PC, and offers to transfer images from the
camera's memory to an application called F-Spot, where they can be
cataloged, edited, or posted to a Web site. To show how easy this is,
Friedman took a photo of the audience, plugged his digital camera into
the laptop, selected the picture from a list presented by the software
and with a couple of clicks uploaded it to his account with the Flickr
photo hosting service. Seconds later, the picture was online. (You can
see it here.) Other operating systems, such as Mac OS X or Microsoft
Windows, already include such features, but no one has made it as easy
with Linux before, he says.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

shannon

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> I was reading http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124571,00.asp
> which talks about Novell's Linux Desktop 10. Cool features I saw:
>
> The forthcoming desktop Linux distribution also includes features for
> business users, such as software for translating Visual Basic macros
> in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet documents into their equivalent in
> StarBasic, the macro language used by the open-source OpenOffice.org
> productivity suite.
>
> For the average home user, existing Linux distributions suffer from
> one major flaw: they can't play MP3-format music files out of the box.
> This is because the MP3 encoding system is patented, and the system
> for licensing the patent is incompatible with the GPL open source
> license under which Linux is distributed, Friedman says.

Complete *******s

Linspire has mp3 out of the box, its been around for ages

Can't you check this crap before you cut and paste some PR shills press
release ?

Playing mp3s doesn't require an encoding system.

madplay, a widely used decoder is distributed in Debian which has a
comprehensive free software policy.

Its GPL licensed

http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/

Like all gnome software, Banshee is available for many distros

http://banshee-project.org/Getting_Started

Its installed by default in Suse/Opensuse 10
but its in the Ubuntu Breezy Universe repositary.

It uses gstreamer-madplay for mp3 support on my Ubuntu system, it
doesn't do streaming yet, but it might in future, I will probably keep
using the many other alternatives.

http://banshee-project.org/Banshee_Source
Banshee ships with the Xing MP3 encoder and also a GStreamer plugin for
it. It is not enabled by default. If you have the Lame encoder and
GStreamer plugin installed, there is no reason to use Xing.

BrianM

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:38:13 +1000, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> I was reading http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124571,00.asp
> which talks about Novell's Linux Desktop 10. Cool features I saw:
>
> The forthcoming desktop Linux distribution also includes features for
> business users, such as software for translating Visual Basic macros in
> Microsoft Excel spreadsheet documents into their equivalent in
> StarBasic, the macro language used by the open-source OpenOffice.org
> productivity suite.
>
> For the average home user, existing Linux distributions suffer from one
> major flaw: they can't play MP3-format music files out of the box. This
> is because the MP3 encoding system is patented, and the system for
> licensing the patent is incompatible with the GPL open source license
> under which Linux is distributed, Friedman says.

******** rest of article snipped *********

errrrrrr, wrong. Mandriva plays MP3's on installation. SUSE doesn't, it
requires the libmpg123.so plugin for xmms.

cheers
BrianM