Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Microsoft Terms and Conditions

New Microsoft Terms and Conditions

Matty F

What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?

http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this
bug. Or is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has
fewer bugs and more features than IE.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:42:54 +1300 when I remembered Matty F

>What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
>
>http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg
>
>I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this
>bug. Or is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has
>fewer bugs and more features than IE.

I suppose if this went to a court of law it'd have to be resolved in
your favour, it's not exactly your fault that their website didn't
render a correct form, after all, it's not exactly difficult html to
do.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Steve B

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:32:44 +1300, Waylon Kenning
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:42:54 +1300 when I remembered Matty F
><(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
>>
>>http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg
>>
>>I don't suppose it's any use telling Microsoft or xtra about this
>>bug. Or is it deliberate? Yes I'm using Mozilla because it has
>>fewer bugs and more features than IE.

>I suppose if this went to a court of law it'd have to be resolved in
>your favour, it's not exactly your fault that their website didn't
>render a correct form, after all, it's not exactly difficult html to
>do.

But you don't sign a blank sheet of paper. I think the court might say
if you were incautious enough to click "accept" you have to live with
the consequences.

Steve B.

Peter

Steve B wrote:

> But you don't sign a blank sheet of paper. I think the court might say
> if you were incautious enough to click "accept" you have to live with
> the consequences.

Wrong. If you sign a blank sheet of paper, it does not give someone else
licence to write what they like and hold it against you. Of course if you
try and tell a court what you signed was originally a blank piece of paper,
the court would not believe you unless you could present some evidence to
support this.

Peter

Matty F wrote:
> What is the legal situation here if I click on "I Accept"?
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

On the face of it, there are no conditions applying, and you are required to
either accept or decline this situation. For example, a user might not
accept the situation where their rights to use the product are not
explicitly set out.

In the real world, it is invariably the party with the larger legal budget
who prevails. So it might not be wise to push your luck, regardless of
whether you are in the right or not.

IANAL YMMV etc

HTH

Peter

Gordon

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:42:54 +1300, Matty F wrote:

Back to the header people. There is a *new* Microsoft?

Gordon

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:36:38 +1300, Peter wrote:

> Wrong. If you sign a blank sheet of paper, it does not give someone else
> licence to write what they like and hold it against you. Of course if you
> try and tell a court what you signed was originally a blank piece of paper,
> the court would not believe you unless you could present some evidence to
> support this.

For Pete's sake. You sign a blank sheet of paper and do not get a copy?

Hint gentle reader. Try to to make two of your signatures exact copies.
See now why digital copies are flawed?

Read each signature from the pen of your hand is one of a kind.

Nik Coughlin

Matty F wrote:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

That link doesn't work for me (blank page or the text
'http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg') in Firefox, IE or Opera. XP 64.

Andrew

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

> That link doesn't work for me (blank page or the text
> 'http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg') in Firefox, IE or Opera. XP 64.

same:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

The following error was encountered:

* Connection Failed

The system returned:

(111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Matty F

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
>
>>http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg

> That link doesn't work for me (blank page or the text
> 'http://i2.tinypic.com/r79edc.jpg') in Firefox, IE or Opera. XP 64.

It is OK at the moment, with Mozilla and IE.
It basically shows a blank page with only two options to click on
- [I Accept] or [I Decline]

Since I have a screen capture of it as evidence, I guess that
Microsoft cannot hold me to anything at all if I accept it.