Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Having emails bcc'd to someone automatically

Having emails bcc'd to someone automatically

Mrs BeebleBrock

A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.

I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
profile but I'm probably wrong.

XPD

"Mrs BeebleBrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4n3Qf.5201$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
>office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
>remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations with
>management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
>
> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
> profile but I'm probably wrong.

Is the office using an Exchange server or just usual POP3 ? (ie: via Xtra,
IHUG, Orcon or whoever)
If using Exchange, then the admins can pretty much do what they want with
your mail, so it is possible someone else is getting the same email.
Altho, the same can be said with any mail server run "in-house" rather than
an external provider.

Daniel

Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
> office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
> remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
> with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
>
> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
> profile but I'm probably wrong.

If your office firewall isn't blocking port 25 to the outside world,
then he could just use a different SMTP server to deliver his emails.

Although, it would mean emails within the office may not be as quick to
deliver.

Mrs BeebleBrock

Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:

> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
> office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
> remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
> with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
>
> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
> profile but I'm probably wrong.

Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
conversations?

Alan

"Mrs BeebleBrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:X54Qf.5205$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
>
>> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in
>> the office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be
>> set up remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several
>> conversations with management that indicate they are reading his in
>> and out mail.
>>
>> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within
>> his profile but I'm probably wrong.

> Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
> conversations?

I am guessing that you are not the network administrator, and you
don't want to openly ask them yourself?

The short answer to your question is that, potentially, anything you
do using your employers property (the computer systems) could be
intercepted or monitored.

If your colleague doesn't want someone to read something they have
only one real option - don't use your employers systems to send /
receive those messages

Our company policy is very simple: Anything sent to or from our
business systems may be read by someone else. If we don't want
something to be read by another person, we use a personal system from
home.

We actually go further and have a policy that at least two people
always have access to every inbox (in addition to the network admin
who can give themselves access anytime of course). This means that if
someone goes home sick suddenly and a customer emails them urgently, a
colleague or manager can deal with it - just exactly the way a phone
call, fax, or letter would be.

Reality of course is that it is not likely that anyone would read
emails or check webmail traffic unless they had reason to believe that
it was being used in a way that could be prejudicial to the business
since they probably have better things to do.

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Allistar

Daniel wrote:

> Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
>> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
>> office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
>> remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
>> with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
>>
>> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
>> profile but I'm probably wrong.

> If your office firewall isn't blocking port 25 to the outside world,
> then he could just use a different SMTP server to deliver his emails.
>
> Although, it would mean emails within the office may not be as quick to
> deliver.

And if they block 25 and not 22, you could port forward through an ssh
tunnel to a different computer.

Allistar.

Nova

Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
> Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
>
>> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
>> office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
>> remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
>> with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
>>
>> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
>> profile but I'm probably wrong.

> Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
> conversations?

If you are using their network, they can read anything, all the traffic
goes through their machines..

There are even programs out there that make this very easy for them that
can listen to packets on the network and save msn conversations, save
emails etc etc etc.

Always assume you are being watched .

If your colleague really wants privacy he should wait until he gets
home, or stick to webmail sites that use https. Or he could use an
email server that is not within the business network that supports
tls/ssl so they can't read his messages.

Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:01:47 +1300 when I remembered Nova

>Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
>are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
>to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

It wouldn't surprise me. I guess regular auditing can help deal with
that risk.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

RJ

In article <lx4Qf.5211$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Mrs BeebleBrock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:X54Qf.5205$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
> >
> >> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in
> >> the office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be
> >> set up remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several
> >> conversations with management that indicate they are reading his in
> >> and out mail.
> >>
> >> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within
> >> his profile but I'm probably wrong.

> > Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
> > conversations?
> >

> I am guessing that you are not the network administrator, and you
> don't want to openly ask them yourself?
>
> The short answer to your question is that, potentially, anything you
> do using your employers property (the computer systems) could be
> intercepted or monitored.
>
> If your colleague doesn't want someone to read something they have
> only one real option - don't use your employers systems to send /
> receive those messages

or use secure webmail.

Richard

> Always assume you are being watched .
>
> If your colleague really wants privacy he should wait until he gets
> home, or stick to webmail sites that use https. Or he could use an
> email server that is not within the business network that supports
> tls/ssl so they can't read his messages.
>
> Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
> are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
> to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

Untill its shown on the screen of the office pc, where someone could be looking
in unannounced with any number of employee auditing packages.