Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to backup vlan information

How to backup vlan information

Dan_track

Hi

I'd like to add a vlan onto my switch. The worry I have is that I might
lose the vlan information or mess up while adding the vlan.

What steps would I take to ensure I have backed up all the switches and
their vlan information, and how would I restore it.

Just to add, a few of my switches are in a cluster, I'm not sure if
that affects anything or complicates the restore.

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Dan

Martin Bilgrav

make a copy of your vlan.dat file

"Dan_track" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi
>
> I'd like to add a vlan onto my switch. The worry I have is that I might
> lose the vlan information or mess up while adding the vlan.
>
> What steps would I take to ensure I have backed up all the switches and
> their vlan information, and how would I restore it.
>
> Just to add, a few of my switches are in a cluster, I'm not sure if
> that affects anything or complicates the restore.
>
> Any help appreciated
> Thanks
> Dan

Dan_track

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

But how do I restore the vlan to all teh switches. Is it simple enough
to copy the vlan.dat to all the switches. Lets say I backup only one
switch, will it's vlan/dat work for all switches?

Thanks
Dan

Scooby

"Dan_track" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> But how do I restore the vlan to all teh switches. Is it simple enough
> to copy the vlan.dat to all the switches. Lets say I backup only one
> switch, will it's vlan/dat work for all switches?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Dan,

I suppose this may work if you are not running vtp. However, if you have a
lot of switches and are running vtp, that could be a messy solution. My
personal preference is to use a couple vtp servers and the rest clients. If
a client switch dies, you can replace it and the new switch will pick up the
vlan info. If a server dies, you can install a new one as client and then
change it to server after it receives the info. Hopefully, you won't have
all the vtp servers die at the same time. It wouldn't hurt to keep a copy
of the vlan.dat from one of the vtp servers "Just in case".

Hope that helps,

Jim

Dan_track

Hi Jim
Thanks for your advice. I basically inherited the switch and the
current condition is that you have a few switches in vtp mode, with one
vtp server, while the other majority is in standalone mode. Would it be
difficult to change the other swithes into vtp client mode? what
commands would I need to execute.

BTW my switches are a 3524/3548 models.

Thanks
Dan

Scooby

"Dan_track" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Jim
> Thanks for your advice. I basically inherited the switch and the
> current condition is that you have a few switches in vtp mode, with one
> vtp server, while the other majority is in standalone mode. Would it be
> difficult to change the other swithes into vtp client mode? what
> commands would I need to execute.
>
> BTW my switches are a 3524/3548 models.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

From global config, just do 'vtp mode client'. BTW - I always put a domain
'vtp domain <domain name>' on mine as well, just in case one gets plugged in
to protect from overwriting my vlans.

ALWAYS set a switch to client mode before plugging it into your network
(unless you want it to be transparent). Then, once the the switch has
received the other vlans, you can set to server if you like.

Just a thought - I haven't used those particular models. I'm speaking from
an IOS perspective. Are those CatOS?

Jim

Dan_track

Hi Jim,

Thanks for reply.To be frank I didn't know there were to OS's. How can
I tell?

When I did "sh ver" the second line starts with ISO and its version is
12.0(5)WC2, does this mean I'm using ISO and not CatOS?

Thanks
Dan

BernieM

"Scooby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tOy_f.79953$%(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Dan_track" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi Jim
>> Thanks for your advice. I basically inherited the switch and the
>> current condition is that you have a few switches in vtp mode, with one
>> vtp server, while the other majority is in standalone mode. Would it be
>> difficult to change the other swithes into vtp client mode? what
>> commands would I need to execute.
>>
>> BTW my switches are a 3524/3548 models.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>>

> From global config, just do 'vtp mode client'. BTW - I always put a
> domain 'vtp domain <domain name>' on mine as well, just in case one gets
> plugged in to protect from overwriting my vlans.
>
> ALWAYS set a switch to client mode before plugging it into your network
> (unless you want it to be transparent). Then, once the the switch has
> received the other vlans, you can set to server if you like.
>
> Just a thought - I haven't used those particular models. I'm speaking
> from an IOS perspective. Are those CatOS?
>
> Jim

Just a heads up on the domain ... if you're using DTP (dynamic trunking
protocol) both end of the trunk need to be in the same domain. This applies
even when VTP is not being used.

BernieM

VLan OR NO VLan rahul_hotin Cisco 1 04-27-2005 04:38 AM
native vlan mismatch on 2 2924 switches w/ only 1 vlan defined (same on both switches) avraham shir-el Cisco 4 07-20-2004 08:08 AM
HI, I have some question about native vlan and default vlan. PS2 gamer Cisco 1 05-28-2004 11:47 AM
Auxiliary VLAN V VLan Neil Rowland Cisco 1 04-14-2004 02:03 PM
VLAN or Not to VLAN Paul Cisco 0 10-27-2003 06:16 PM

Advertisments