Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug rejects Telecom's broadband offer

Ihug rejects Telecom's broadband offer

Nova

JohnO

Nova wrote:
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3598529a13,00.html

Didn't Telecom have a clause along the lines of 'if the ISP's don't all
take it up we won't roll it out at all' ???

Andrew

JohnO wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3598529a13,00.html

> Didn't Telecom have a clause along the lines of 'if the ISP's don't all
> take it up we won't roll it out at all' ???

i believe they had to retract that..

Tony

>> Didn't Telecom have a clause along the lines of 'if the ISP's don't all
>> take it up we won't roll it out at all' ???
>>

> i believe they had to retract that..

Telecom (wholesale) trying unfair bully tactics like that... who would
have believed it.

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:23:19 -0800, someone purporting to be JohnO didst
scrawl:

> Nova wrote:
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3598529a13,00.html

> Didn't Telecom have a clause along the lines of 'if the ISP's don't all
> take it up we won't roll it out at all' ???

No, that was retracted. What this does mean, though, is that Ihug (and
Slingshot, who have also applied for a determination) won't be given
access to the wholesale plans. They have to wait for the determination to
be made. Hopefully the determination will be expedited, given the
seriously anti-competitive nature of that particular provision and the
fact that multiple ISPs have expressed their displeasure over the terms
offered.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

MarkH

Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:440fb0b7$(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3598529a13,00.html

I don't see a real need for 24Mbit, I would be more interested in seeing
regulation on the 3.5Mbit/512Kbit plan to require reasonable cost (cheaper
than Telecom's current offer, with better margins to the ISPs) and no worse
than 50:1 contention ratio.

What use is 3.5Mbit if that sort of speed can only be achieved in the dead
of night (if even then).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Craig Sutton

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y8SPf.80925$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:440fb0b7$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3598529a13,00.html

> I don't see a real need for 24Mbit

How about a few hundred tv and video on demand channel in hdtv?

Oh wait that only needs abut 8 mbitt...........

Normal res tv stuff iptv 2.5mbit

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:00:40 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> I don't see a real need for 24Mbit,

And Bill Gates saw no need for more than 640k of RAM!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you

Jerry

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:00:40 +0000, MarkH wrote:
>

>>I don't see a real need for 24Mbit,

> And Bill Gates saw no need for more than 640k of RAM!

That quote is an urban legend, he never said it. It sounds good, but no
one can tell you where or when he said it.

EMB

Jerry wrote:
> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:00:40 +0000, MarkH wrote:
>>

>>> I don't see a real need for 24Mbit,

>> And Bill Gates saw no need for more than 640k of RAM!

> That quote is an urban legend, he never said it. It sounds good, but no
> one can tell you where or when he said it.

And lets face facts - back then who could afford 640kB of RAM anyway?

--
EMB