Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New toy.. new toy!

New toy.. new toy!

Shane

http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.

I want one!!!!
(Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger) but it runs (as Ive quoted
above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as well(as its an
x86 proc)
Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load (albeit
I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)

Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
No specs yet.. just pics

Shane

Shane wrote:

> http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
> This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
> touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
> desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.
>
> I want one!!!!
> (Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger) but it runs (as Ive quoted
> above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as well(as its an
> x86 proc)
> Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load
> (albeit I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)
>

> Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
> the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
> No specs yet.. just pics

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6045150.html
Further links show whos behind it... new move to hardware?
Still, new toy.. new toy!

Nik Coughlin

Shane wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
> This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a
> 7-inch touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full
> versions of desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from
> Origami.
>
> I want one!!!!
> (Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger) but it runs (as Ive
> quoted above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as
> well(as its an x86 proc)
> Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load
> (albeit I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)
>

> Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live
> up to the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
> No specs yet.. just pics

I like OQO:
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

-=rjh=-

Shane wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
> This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
> touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
> desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.
>
> I want one!!!!

So do I, but it will be far too expensive.

> (Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger)

Try - a *lot* bigger?

but it runs (as Ive quoted
> above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as well(as its an
> x86 proc)
> Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load (albeit
> I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)
>

> Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
> the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
> No specs yet.. just pics

Looks very similar to the Pepperpad in many ways.

All the speculation I've seen is that this will retail in the US at
about $800. That is too high for this to see widespread use; it will be
just like tablets - too expensive for the average domestic user, so
restricted to businesses that can justify or afford it, and competing
directly with subnotebooks.

Also, size does matter, although where the sweet spot lies depends on
how people will use the device. Nokia have by some accounts had an
unexpected hit with their 770, which has a 4" screen (800x480) but
retails at ~$350 US. That is a lot smaller, a lot lighter, but also a
lot cheaper.

At paperback size, Origami is too big; I want something pocketable, and
I'll live with the disadvantages. I'm not even sure I want it to be
running an interface that even slightly resembles a desktop interface,
either. I've been using handheld devices for years, and this does look
good - hopefully it will be a success, but I'm doubtful it will be given
the information available so far.

=============

BTW, thought I'd try MS live.search, and Origami doesn't feature
anywhere in the first heap of entries; in fact origami porn features
higher, I didn't really want to know such a thing existed

Don Hills

In article <duo31a$plg$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

>Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
>the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
>No specs yet.. just pics

No real use to a road warrior, you can't do serious data entry on it in the
hotel room in the evenings (reports, spreadsheets). A slim/small pocketable
PDA or PDA/phone that wouldn't spoil the cut of my suit could handle
appointments, contacts etc, maybe wirelessly linked to a machine with a real
keyboard tucked away in my portfolio. There are plenty of suitable PDAs
around, but what is available for the other machine?

I'd need:

- small and light weight (1 Kg or less.)
- long battery life (at least 12 to 16 hours).
- a usable keyboard (at least 90% of full size).
- built-in modem, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, IR.
- VGA output to show presentations on the customer's projector.
- ability to run the same apps as I do in the office.
- PDA style instant on-off (no booting or shutdown).

Any suggestions?

Oh wait, I already have one. Granted, the Ethernet and WiFi have to share
the single PCMCIA slot.
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/his...lsystems/0038/

(HP Jornada 820)

Just one problem - it was made in 1999. I hope someone comes up with a
usable replacement before it dies. Too many products, like the prototypes we
are discussing, are solutions in search of a problem. A modern technology
version of the Jornada would be a killer machine for me.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Nathan Mercer

Shane wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>
> > http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e589
> > This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
> > touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
> > desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.

Some more links

A new Mobile PC form factor. Full Windows functionality with an
enhanced touch screen, pen and keyboard input. UMPCs combine the power
of the Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition operating system and
other innovative new technologies from Microsoft and its partners,
making them more mobile and simpler to use than previous mobile
computers. For example, the new, pre-installed Microsoft Touch Pack for
Windows XP software optimizes the touch screen user interface for UMPCs
to simplify navigation and ease-of-use while on the go. The Touch
Pack's customizable Program Launcher organizes software programs into
categories, and uses large buttons and icons to make it easy to find
and open your favorite applications. The Touch Pack also includes a
thumb-based, on-screen keyboard that's touch-optimized for easy text
input. It also helps improve a user's portable media experience with
the inclusion of the new Brilliant Black for Windows Media Player skin.
Touch Pack software also helps keep you entertained with the
introduction of Microsoft Sudoku, a highly entertaining touch and ink
enabled game. While the first generation of UMPCs will run Windows XP
Tablet PC Edition 2005, future models will run on Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/umpc

http://www.origamiproject.com/3/

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...-09Mobile.mspx

http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/platform/umpc.htm

Lastly, Otto Berkes - Origami's Architect gives first look at
Ultramobile PCs: http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=169962

Shane

Don Hills wrote:

> In article <duo31a$plg$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>>
>>Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
>>the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
>>No specs yet.. just pics

> No real use to a road warrior, you can't do serious data entry on it in
> the hotel room in the evenings (reports, spreadsheets). A slim/small
> pocketable PDA or PDA/phone that wouldn't spoil the cut of my suit could
> handle appointments, contacts etc, maybe wirelessly linked to a machine
> with a real keyboard tucked away in my portfolio. There are plenty of
> suitable PDAs around, but what is available for the other machine?
>
> I'd need:
>
> - small and light weight (1 Kg or less.)
> - long battery life (at least 12 to 16 hours).
> - a usable keyboard (at least 90% of full size).
> - built-in modem, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, IR.
> - VGA output to show presentations on the customer's projector.
> - ability to run the same apps as I do in the office.
> - PDA style instant on-off (no booting or shutdown).

apparently it has all above features (add a choice between bluetooth and
wifi)
One of the offerings does have a KB although it looks clunky

> Any suggestions?
>
> Oh wait, I already have one. Granted, the Ethernet and WiFi have to share
> the single PCMCIA slot.
> http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/his...lsystems/0038/
>
> (HP Jornada 820)
>
> Just one problem - it was made in 1999. I hope someone comes up with a
> usable replacement before it dies. Too many products, like the prototypes
> we are discussing, are solutions in search of a problem. A modern
> technology version of the Jornada would be a killer machine for me.

Kind of lost the new toy smell then

Don Hills

In article <duq151$eov$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>One of the offerings does have a KB although it looks clunky

Yeah, it's the keyboard that's the killer. PDAs and the prototypes under
discussion are assymetrical, in that they do output much better than they do
input.

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <duq151$eov$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>> One of the offerings does have a KB although it looks clunky

> Yeah, it's the keyboard that's the killer. PDAs and the prototypes under
> discussion are assymetrical, in that they do output much better than they do
> input.

Is the asymmetry necessarily bad? Maybe a device like Origami works 90%
of the time doing media and other output, for the other 10% you either
use an onscreen keyboard or a 3rd party cradle (or wallet) that includes
BT or IR keyboard.

That way you get less complexity and smaller size and lower cost for the
intended users of the device.

Works well with my PDAs, the limitations are actually more to do with
screen real estate (which shouldn't be a problem with the Origami
devices) and getting the data off the PDA.

Don Hills

In article <4410ee8a$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is the asymmetry necessarily bad? Maybe a device like Origami works 90%
>of the time doing media and other output, for the other 10% you either
>use an onscreen keyboard or a 3rd party cradle (or wallet) that includes
>BT or IR keyboard.
>
>That way you get less complexity and smaller size and lower cost for the
>intended users of the device.
>
>Works well with my PDAs, the limitations are actually more to do with
>screen real estate (which shouldn't be a problem with the Origami
>devices) and getting the data off the PDA.

I specifically pointed out that a "two box" approach suits me - a readily
portable PDA for mainly output work, and a more conventional box with
keyboard and larger screen (but still very small) for input and additonal
capabilities. That would avoid the current trend of trying to cram every
feature into the PDA, which has led to some pretty bulky PDAs (such as the
prototypes under discussion) which I would relegate to my portfolio instead
of my pocket. And if it's going to be in my portfolio, it may as well be big
enough to have a real keyboard.

(Portfolio = leather folder, smaller than A4 size, big enough to hold a
notepad, business cards etc. Like a large Filofax.)

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"