Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IBM Germany will not use Windows Vista - using Linux instead.

IBM Germany will not use Windows Vista - using Linux instead.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/

Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux,
and it does all the things that they want."

news.xtra.co.nz

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
>
> Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
> Linux,
> and it does all the things that they want."

but, bad news for ibms customers.

IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.
The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.

this is where microsoft excels.

Allistar

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
>>
>> Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
>>

>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>
>> --
>> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
>> Linux,
>> and it does all the things that they want."
>>

> but, bad news for ibms customers.
>
> IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at
> os/2. The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good
> so why
> don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.

Indeed. I've used AIX before and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

> this is where microsoft excels.

And a lot of the open source community - IMO KDE is much easier on the eye
than Windows, and a lot more configurable and functional too.

Allistar.

Maximum Damage

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
>>
>>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
>>

>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>
>>--
>>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
>>Linux,
>>and it does all the things that they want."
>>

> but, bad news for ibms customers.
>
> IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.

I thought OS/2 was really good for its time, was streets ahead of
Windows, BTW have you ever used OS/2?
> The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
> don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
>
> this is where microsoft excels.

Yes th MS's GUIs look great, a shame about the code behind them.

-=rjh=-

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
>>
>> Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
>>

>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>
>> --
>> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
>> Linux,
>> and it does all the things that they want."
>>

> but, bad news for ibms customers.

Why? IBM is an end user in this instance; and even then, possibly only
in Germany.

Can't see how this will affect their customers directly.

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:28:46 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Indeed. I've used AIX before and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want - or
none at all.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur
when coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

Allistar

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:28:46 +1300, Allistar wrote:
>
>> Indeed. I've used AIX before and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

> What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want - or
> none at all.

In this case it was the standard CDE.

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Allistar.

GraB

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:31:24 +1300, Maximum Damage <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
>>>
>>>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
>>>

>>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>>
>>>--
>>>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
>>>Linux,
>>>and it does all the things that they want."
>>>

>> but, bad news for ibms customers.
>>
>> IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.

>I thought OS/2 was really good for its time, was streets ahead of
>Windows, BTW have you ever used OS/2?
>> The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
>> don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
>>
>> this is where microsoft excels.

>Yes th MS's GUIs look great, a shame about the code behind them.

One gets the impression MS puts more into the aesthetics of the GUI
than in the underlying code, but as they say, from Microsoft's view,
first impressions . . .

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:08:41 +1300, Allistar wrote:

>> What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want -
>> or none at all.

> In this case it was the standard CDE.

OK. If the default CDE colour scheme is anything to go by, CDE was not an
attractive GUI at all.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

thingy@nowhere.commy

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
>>
>>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
>>

>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>>
>>--
>>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
>>Linux,
>>and it does all the things that they want."
>>

> but, bad news for ibms customers.
>
> IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.
> The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
> don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
>
> this is where microsoft excels.

lol, You cant have used os2 much then, for its age it beat win3 and
arguably 95 dead. When you also consider how unstable win95 is, os2 is
way ahead, so without doubt, dead.

Same applies to moving to Linux, as they say eat your own dog food.

regards

thing