Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sweet CPU

Sweet CPU

Shaun \(~misfit~\)

Ok, it's an old one now. However, I just have to share how good this Athlon
XP2500+ Barton is. I recently swapped my locked, later model XP2600+ for
this unlocked 2500+ as the guy had upgraded to Athlon 64 and was intending
selling it on Trademe. I originally built his PC so knew the CPU was good
and overclockable and had been running at 2.2GHz for a couple years. (I
built his new one as well).

Firstly, I'm an overclocker. Always have been, always will be. Actually, I
think maybe the term should be 'optimiser' really, I'm not hardcore, I don't
go for the absolute maximum speeds, I go for fast, reliable, cool and
stable. More 'fine-tuning' a CPU/mobo/RAM combo really.

This CPU is unlocked, default is 166MHz x 11 for 1.82GHz at 1.65V vcore. The
mobo is a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L using the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset.

I have PC3200 RAM and always like to run the FSB as fast as reasonably
possible. I find it has a big impact on data throughput, a lor more so than
pure CPU MHZ. So I'm reall ypleased that this CPU will run at 11 x on a
200MHz FSB (giving XP3200+ speed) without having to increase vcore. (All
O'C's are Prime95-stable BTW). I've set up a few XP2500+ Bartons now and all
others have needed an increase in vcore to do 2.2GHz stably, some as high as
1.775V.

However, as FSB plays a big role in how much work the CPU can do I tried
running at 210 x 10.5. Still default vcore and stable as a rock. It
benchmarked faster than an XP3200+, the fastest Socket A CPU, by quite a
margin. This is still without increasing vcore, the 'secret' of getting a
CPU to run fast.

Just for the hell of it I bumped the multi up to 12 x and had to take the
vcore to 1.725V to get it stable. This is 2.4GHz and mid-50C range at 100%
CPU. Pretty damn good I thought. Air-cooled too. I'm sure that, if I wanted
to push it up to around 1.8V or a little higher, (the highest recommended
vcore for Model 10 AMD CPUs on air) I could get it going faster. However,
longevity is important to me too, I won't be able to afford to replace this
baby for a while.

Yesterday I did some thinking. I don't actually need that sort of power on a
regular basis and also I leave my PC on pretty much 24/7 running bittorrent
when I'm not actively using it. At 2.2GHz, 100% CPU it's runing around 52C
and idling it runs at around 39. However, bittorrent (Azureus) uses around
4-9% CPU and, at that level of use, the CPU stays at around 47. (These are
all on-die temps). I got to thinking about running cooler and using less
power maybe. I play a few games but none of them push this CPU anywhere near
it's limits.

Long story short, the resulting settings are 200MHz FSB. 10 x multiplier
(2GHz from a CPU 'specced' at 1. and vcore *dropped* from 1.65V to 1.50V!!
It runs rock-solid at these settings and Azureus runs at around 40 instead
of 47, this with the CPU fan turned down from 3,500rpm to 2,500rpm as well
so it's a lot quieter. It idles at 31C core temp in a 24 room. ("Idle"
being a relative term, XP is still running 20+ processes).

I'm really pleased, an overclocked CPU with an undervolted core, very cool
and quiet. Also, if I'm in need of more power in the future, I know this CPU
will go faster.

Just had to share my pleasure, I really like this CPU. I could try dropping
the vcore even more as I just thought I'd try 1.5V and work up until I got
no errors. However, Prime95 overnight reported all fine as-is. I was very
pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
--
Shaun (~misfit~)

Andrew

Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
> [...]
>
> Long story short, the resulting settings are 200MHz FSB. 10 x multiplier
> (2GHz from a CPU 'specced' at 1. and vcore *dropped* from 1.65V to 1.50V!!
> It runs rock-solid at these settings and Azureus runs at around 40 instead
> of 47, this with the CPU fan turned down from 3,500rpm to 2,500rpm as well
> so it's a lot quieter. It idles at 31C core temp in a 24 room. ("Idle"
> being a relative term, XP is still running 20+ processes).
>
> I'm really pleased, an overclocked CPU with an undervolted core, very cool
> and quiet. Also, if I'm in need of more power in the future, I know this CPU
> will go faster.
>
> Just had to share my pleasure, I really like this CPU. I could try dropping
> the vcore even more as I just thought I'd try 1.5V and work up until I got
> no errors. However, Prime95 overnight reported all fine as-is. I was very

Awesome

i never really thought of dropping the vcore before...

mgeeraets@gmail.com

Good work

I had one of these CPU's in my last machine. The guy I got it off
actually had it running at that speed - I didn't realise until I went
to pick it up off him (he mentioned it was a 2500+ as stated on the
invoice ).

I never took it any higher, but with a standard cooler it used to get
to about 55 or so. Not too bad I thought. A lot better than my 1.4ghz
that used to be able to heat my whole room with the side off ...

-M

Shaun \(~misfit~\)

> Good work

Thanks.

> I had one of these CPU's in my last machine. The guy I got it off
> actually had it running at that speed - I didn't realise until I went
> to pick it up off him (he mentioned it was a 2500+ as stated on the
> invoice ).

They were great huh? LOL, still are.

> I never took it any higher, but with a standard cooler it used to get
> to about 55 or so. Not too bad I thought. A lot better than my 1.4ghz
> that used to be able to heat my whole room with the side off ...

The XP2500+ Barton was pretty much *the* CPU for tweaking for a while there.
AMD downgraded a whole bunch as they were getting good yields but the demand
was for the 2500 so a lot of CPU that were capable of being labeled 3200's
were labeled 2500. Half the price too. However, the good times only lasted a
couple months. Then the 2500's seemed to be poorer CPUs and needed quite a
vcore boost to hit 2.2GHz. Some wouldn't do it. Then AMD went and
mutiplier-locked them as a lot of people were buying the lower-rated CPUs
and getting good speed out of them. It hurt their bottom-line. The top-range
CPUs weren't selling.

I'm just pleased I got one of the good ones. A bit like my Tbred B XP1800+
that's running at 2GHz at stock vcore. That's a good one too.

Cheers,
--
Shaun (~misfit~)

Shaun \(~misfit~\)

Andrew wrote:
> Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:

<snip>

>> Long story short, the resulting settings are 200MHz FSB. 10 x
>> multiplier (2GHz from a CPU 'specced' at 1. and vcore *dropped*
>> from 1.65V to 1.50V!! It runs rock-solid at these settings and
>> Azureus runs at around 40 instead of 47, this with the CPU fan
>> turned down from 3,500rpm to 2,500rpm as well so it's a lot quieter.
>> It idles at 31C core temp in a 24 room. ("Idle" being a relative
>> term, XP is still running 20+ processes). I'm really pleased, an
>> overclocked CPU with an undervolted core,
>> very cool and quiet. Also, if I'm in need of more power in the
>> future, I know this CPU will go faster.
>>
>> Just had to share my pleasure, I really like this CPU. I could try
>> dropping the vcore even more as I just thought I'd try 1.5V and work
>> up until I got no errors. However, Prime95 overnight reported all
>> fine as-is. I was very pleasantly surprised.
>>
>> Cheers,

> Awesome
>
> i never really thought of dropping the vcore before...

Me either really. It's just that this CPU clocks so well at default vcore I
figured that, as I was slowing it down a bit I might as well try lowering
vcore. It worked a treat. Actually a lot lower temps than I said in my post
yesterday. Azureus running now and 33C on-die temp. The case temp dropped
around 5 too.

Cheers,
--
Shaun (~misfit~)