Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cable in Wellington

Reply
Thread Tools

Cable in Wellington

 
 
mgeeraets@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2006
Hi all

We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

I'd like to get cable internet, but don't want to have them come and
install another jackpoint (or pay a connection fee) if I can help it.

I plugged my lappy into it, and it gives me an ip address. There is
constant traffic. The decoder functions fine without it connected.

My question is simple - will telstra or paradise allow me to call up
and open an account using this cable modem? Or am I going to have to
get another one installed (pointless as we don't use ppv anyway?) Can't
they just take the MAC addy & give me an ip that can be associated with
my username? Or is this all a bit too simple

Any advice welcomed

Regards

Matt

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2006

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.


Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?

> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.


I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself

> I'd like to get cable internet, but don't want to have them come and
> install another jackpoint (or pay a connection fee) if I can help it.
>
> I plugged my lappy into it, and it gives me an ip address. There is
> constant traffic. The decoder functions fine without it connected.
>
> My question is simple - will telstra or paradise allow me to call up
> and open an account using this cable modem? Or am I going to have to
> get another one installed (pointless as we don't use ppv anyway?) Can't
> they just take the MAC addy & give me an ip that can be associated with
> my username? Or is this all a bit too simple
>
> Any advice welcomed
>
> Regards
>
> Matt


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kent Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2006

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
>> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

>
> Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?
>

So you'll be enjoying that 'dvd quality picture' with your low bandwidth
composite connection then?
>
>> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
>> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
>> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

>
> I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
> incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself
>

I thought the digital decoders had integrated cable modem. Is this a
separate cable modem unit?


-KENT


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wally
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2006

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dunnkr$1pn0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
>>> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

>>
>> Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?
>>

> So you'll be enjoying that 'dvd quality picture' with your low bandwidth
> composite connection then?
>>
>>> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
>>> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
>>> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

>>
>> I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
>> incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself
>>

> I thought the digital decoders had integrated cable modem. Is this a
> separate cable modem unit?
>
>
> -KENT

I was under the impression that the interactive component of the menus and
pin number entry for R18 movies etc also uses the modem.
As far as I know, you will have to have another cable modem installed and it
has its own IP.
I have to say that in my experience, the cable solution rocks in comparison
to Telescums offerings. I don't profess to be expert, just had some limited
experience. Cable modem from 1999 until now, excepting an interlude on ADSL
when I lived out of reach of TelstraClear's cable.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2006
Wally wrote:

> I have to say that in my experience, the cable solution rocks in
> comparison to Telescums offerings. I don't profess to be expert, just had
> some limited experience. Cable modem from 1999 until now, excepting an
> interlude on ADSL when I lived out of reach of TelstraClear's cable.


Pity about the company who owns it, though.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mgeeraets@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2006

Kent Smith wrote:
> "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> We've recently had the Telstra guy come in and upgrade our service from
> >> basic analog tv to digital. The decoder is quite flash.

> >
> > Are you happy with the upgrade? Is it really any better?
> >

> So you'll be enjoying that 'dvd quality picture' with your low bandwidth
> composite connection then?
> >
> >> However, I noticed that he has installed a cable modem along with it
> >> that connects via ethernet. Reading in the basic instruction manual, it
> >> only seems to mention that it's for pay per view movies.

> >
> > I heard it was for the Electronic Program Guide too, but might be
> > incorrect, don't use their Digital service myself
> >

> I thought the digital decoders had integrated cable modem. Is this a
> separate cable modem unit?
>
>
> -KENT


Just thought I'd post a heads up.

After spending about 45 minutes waiting in the queue to talk to tech
support, I have found out that in you do in fact need a seperate cable
modem to have the internet. The cable modem that comes with your
decoder is a seperate unit that is provisioned to connect to the
digital tv service only.

When prompted with the question 'but it's a cable modem. If I'm not
using ppv, surely you can just assign me an IP if I give you the mac
address' I was told after a few ums, ahhs, & comments from the manager
that no, that wasn't possible.

So it looks like I'll have to get a 2nd cable modem installed. Not
really a big problem, but really seems totally pointless (considering
the one that comes with the unit is nicely piggybacked off the
decoder). I suspect that they will also need to install another
jackpoint. A great way for them to justify the $149 connection fee I
suppose

Re: the picture quality & service, having the old modem was a
nightmare. The remote was old & the buttons stuck. Also there were a
few channels you can't get. I also prefer the Telstra ep guide over
Sky, but that's just personal preference. There is a definate
improvement in the picture quality. The only small thing that annoys me
is that when you set a reminder it will automatically change to the
channel 1:30s before it's due to start if you 'select to view this
program'. A bit of a pain in the rear if you booked in, say, the
simpsons, but you wanted to see the delightful Toni Marsh finish
reading the weather

Cheers

Matt

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slow performance for paradise cable in Wellington? thing NZ Computing 2 08-20-2004 11:45 PM
Slow nz.comp header DL from Paradise cable (Wellington) dud_address@xparadise.net.nz NZ Computing 3 01-08-2004 09:14 PM
Cable supplies in Wellington? Dogg NZ Computing 4 11-02-2003 07:16 PM



Advertisments