Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Broadband provider?

Broadband provider?

Brendon

To all who are a bit more knowledgeable on the pros/cons of whats going on
in NZ at the moment (I have just returned from out of the country for 2
years). - Who is the best provider for my situation as per below:
12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
Price - prefer approx $30 month
Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed after
this is fine for the end of the month.

Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?

Cheers
Brendon

Jerry

Brendon wrote:
> To all who are a bit more knowledgeable on the pros/cons of whats going on
> in NZ at the moment (I have just returned from out of the country for 2
> years). - Who is the best provider for my situation as per below:
> 12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
> Price - prefer approx $30 month
> Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
> Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed after
> this is fine for the end of the month.
>
> Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
> between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?
>
> Cheers
> Brendon

Ihug used to really suck, but I don't know how they have been doing
since they were taken over. A good percentage of the threads in nz.comp
are Orcon moans. Actrix spammed me, and they believe they have a right
to do that. Slngshot gave me free bread

krazy Bob

"Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:su1Pf.4366$(E-Mail Removed)...
> To all who are a bit more knowledgeable on the pros/cons of whats going on
> in NZ at the moment (I have just returned from out of the country for 2
> years). - Who is the best provider for my situation as per below:
> 12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
> Price - prefer approx $30 month
> Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
> Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed
> after this is fine for the end of the month.
>
> Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
> between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?
>
> Cheers
> Brendon

You say you rather not go with telecom, but at the end of the day. Thats
exactly what you are going to do if you join through another isp. Telecom
sell broadband on to other isp's so your not skipping them at all, and from
my experiences every one who is going through a different isp is in one way
or another getting stuffed around.

KB

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <su1Pf.4366$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
> Price - prefer approx $30 month
> Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
> Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed after
> this is fine for the end of the month.
>
> Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
> between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?

I'm more than happy with iHug. $40/mth (with Tolls) 2GB cap on 2Mbps
down 128kbps up (imposed by Telecom). There's a contract if you don't
take their 'free' router.

Their tolls are reasonably priced and you get 10 free email addresses
(the 'Xtra' of Telecom Broadband is for the extras you have to pay for,
like additional addresses)

--
Dibley

Brendon

Thanks Jerry - yeh, I have been hearing a bit of bad press about Orcon.
Enough said.
won't worry about Actrix either. Toying between Slingshot and ihug I think.
Have been no hassles for the past 7 years on dialup with ihug, so may be
time to upgrade.

Cheers
Brendon

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brendon wrote:
>> To all who are a bit more knowledgeable on the pros/cons of whats going
>> on in NZ at the moment (I have just returned from out of the country for
>> 2 years). - Who is the best provider for my situation as per below:
>> 12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
>> Price - prefer approx $30 month
>> Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
>> Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed
>> after this is fine for the end of the month.
>>
>> Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
>> between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Brendon

> Ihug used to really suck, but I don't know how they have been doing since
> they were taken over. A good percentage of the threads in nz.comp are
> Orcon moans. Actrix spammed me, and they believe they have a right to do
> that. Slngshot gave me free bread

Brendon

KB - yes, we all have to go through Telecom one way or another - but rather
someone else gets a cut than them get it all. 'Bout time the govt sorted
them out.

Cheers
Brendon

"krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kB1Pf.4367$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:su1Pf.4366$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> To all who are a bit more knowledgeable on the pros/cons of whats going
>> on in NZ at the moment (I have just returned from out of the country for
>> 2 years). - Who is the best provider for my situation as per below:
>> 12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
>> Price - prefer approx $30 month
>> Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
>> Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed
>> after this is fine for the end of the month.
>>
>> Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
>> between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Brendon

> You say you rather not go with telecom, but at the end of the day. Thats
> exactly what you are going to do if you join through another isp. Telecom
> sell broadband on to other isp's so your not skipping them at all, and
> from my experiences every one who is going through a different isp is in
> one way or another getting stuffed around.
>
> KB

Brendon

Thanks Dibly, no real need for more than one email, so no points there, but
yes, am leaning towards ihug. Wasn;t aware of the 'router' issues..thanks
for the heads up.

Cheers
Brendon

"Dibley Fanshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <su1Pf.4366$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> 12 month contract - would prefer not to have this
>> Price - prefer approx $30 month
>> Speed - happy with 256, prefer 512 or 1-2mg if possible
>> Data - max I will use will be 1-2GB month, restricting to dialup speed
>> after
>> this is fine for the end of the month.
>>
>> Any ideas people? I would rather NOT go with telecom, but can't decide
>> between ihug, orcon, or sliungshot. Any tips?

> I'm more than happy with iHug. $40/mth (with Tolls) 2GB cap on 2Mbps
> down 128kbps up (imposed by Telecom). There's a contract if you don't
> take their 'free' router.
>
> Their tolls are reasonably priced and you get 10 free email addresses
> (the 'Xtra' of Telecom Broadband is for the extras you have to pay for,
> like additional addresses)
>
> --
> Dibley

krazy Bob

"Brendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NY1Pf.4374$(E-Mail Removed)...
> KB - yes, we all have to go through Telecom one way or another - but
> rather someone else gets a cut than them get it all. 'Bout time the govt
> sorted them out.

That be true...but for you to stop them getting 100% of the cut, your
putting your service 2nd and a search on these forums for other isp and
broadband problems shows that the service with other isp isn't as good as
what you get with xtra.

p.s im not supporting xtra / telecom in anyway. i *hate* with what they are
doing, but im a realist who doesn't want to put up with any of the crap by
joining another isp.

KB

Brendon

"krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vc2Pf.4379$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That be true...but for you to stop them getting 100% of the cut, your
> putting your service 2nd and a search on these forums for other isp and
> broadband problems shows that the service with other isp isn't as good as
> what you get with xtra.
> KB

Yes, agreed, but a look on all forums, telecoms included reveal a lot of
unhappy customers. I like ihug, but have in the past been a bit disappointed
with them. Also, a closer look reveals a contract for 18months with them -
something I am not keen on. And, if/when shifting home, a reconnection fee
of $100. Cripes - no end of ways for them* to make money is there?

Brendon
*them - refers to all ISPs....

joe_90

Jerry wrote:
> Actrix spammed me, and they believe they have a right to do that.

as did/do Paradise.net, hence ...

> Slngshot gave me free bread

.... signed up with SS a month ago to their entry level BB package (free
bread) and apart from a slight hiccup with the first invoice, I am happy.

256/128 3GB cap $39.99 without tolls.