Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > It may be easier and cheaper for MS Office users to migtrate to oOothan to Office12

It may be easier and cheaper for MS Office users to migtrate to oOothan to Office12

thing2

Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?

I upgraded from 97 to oOo and found it better (dispite MS's recent
claims that oOo is 10 years behind.....

A friend upgraded from 98Mac to 2004mac after telling me the oOoMac I
put on was not good enough.....so now I get it in the neck over Ofiice
2004 crashing and not being like 98Mac.....I cant win.....

;]

I also notice some small white box builders incl oOo for free....lets
see buy a home PC and use oOo for free or spend hundreds getting MS
Office.....

Given MS's hype I wonder what % they will loose with this upgrade
cycle......ie how many people will actually buy/get it...as opposed to
staying with old MS office's or getting oOo.....

regards

thing

MarkH

thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:uhhud3-msu.ln1
@news.vuw.ac.nz:

> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>
> Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?

There's an Office 98?

I don't know of anyone running Office 95, but I have come across plenty of
customers running Office 97 - and quite happy with it.

> I upgraded from 97 to oOo and found it better (dispite MS's recent
> claims that oOo is 10 years behind.....

Better how?

> Given MS's hype I wonder what % they will loose with this upgrade
> cycle......ie how many people will actually buy/get it...as opposed to
> staying with old MS office's or getting oOo.....

The truth is that to most people oOo is not a consideration. By far the
greatest rival to the new MS Office will be everyone's existing MS Office.

For a huge percentage of PC users the features of oOo or Office 97 are more
than enough for their requirements. Who here can name features on newer
Office versions that would benefit a fairly average user?

Of course it could be necessary to use the upgrade to Outlook 98 that MS
released for free to fix the horrendous bugs in Outlook 97. Then again
there are many users happy with Outlook Express.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Peter

MarkH wrote:

> thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:uhhud3-msu.ln1
> @news.vuw.ac.nz:
>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>>
>> Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?

> There's an Office 98?

I think he is referring to the Mac version.

> I don't know of anyone running Office 95, but I have come across plenty of
> customers running Office 97 - and quite happy with it.

Apart from an annoying footnote bug which sometimes throws the footnote to
the next page. Oo does not have this bug.

In any case, so what if Oo is '10 years' behind - who needs the bells and
whistles. In any case who wants to have movies and sound played while
working with MS proposed 'mprovements'.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>
>Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?
>
>I upgraded from 97 to oOo and found it better (dispite MS's recent
>claims that oOo is 10 years behind.....

I find it ... different. To me OO is more logical ... all the formatting is
under "format" for example ... you don't have to look elsewhere for 'format
page'.

There are things I dislike about both ... but I use little of either's
capability ... as is the case for most of us I suspect

Bruce

(if there were any)

thingy@nowhere.commy

MarkH wrote:
> thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:uhhud3-msu.ln1
> @news.vuw.ac.nz:
>

>>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>>
>>Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?

> There's an Office 98?

Mac Office 98, think there was a PC 98 one but was not common, not sure.

> I don't know of anyone running Office 95, but I have come across plenty of
> customers running Office 97 - and quite happy with it.
>

>>I upgraded from 97 to oOo and found it better (dispite MS's recent
>>claims that oOo is 10 years behind.....

> Better how?

More stable, especially Excel and able to read later Office documents
without issue.

>>Given MS's hype I wonder what % they will loose with this upgrade
>>cycle......ie how many people will actually buy/get it...as opposed to
>>staying with old MS office's or getting oOo.....

> The truth is that to most people oOo is not a consideration.

Probably a true preception, but in reality there is no reason why not.

By far the
> greatest rival to the new MS Office will be everyone's existing MS Office.

Yes and no. By no I mean as the older Offices age people will be forced
to look at buying a new version, that will cost them lots of $. At
present I assume Office 2000 can be upgraded to 2004 / 12, but 97?
probably not so a full retail version...besides which the OS may not
support it, ie i used to run Office 97 on win2k, will 12 run on win2k?
probably not...while with oOo you can have your cake and eat it.

> For a huge percentage of PC users the features of oOo or Office 97 are more
> than enough for their requirements. Who here can name features on newer
> Office versions that would benefit a fairly average user?

I cant think of any, but oOo can open anything so, that is at least one
advantage, stability is better as well Ive found.

> Of course it could be necessary to use the upgrade to Outlook 98 that MS
> released for free to fix the horrendous bugs in Outlook 97. Then again
> there are many users happy with Outlook Express.

I would hope most people would not be running an old outlook.....ik.....

As for Express, swiss cheese comes to mind....

regards

Thing

David

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y wrote:
> MarkH wrote:
>> thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:uhhud3-msu.ln1
>> @news.vuw.ac.nz:
>>

>>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>>>
>>> Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?

>> There's an Office 98?

> Mac Office 98, think there was a PC 98 one but was not common, not sure.
>
>> I don't know of anyone running Office 95, but I have come across
>> plenty of customers running Office 97 - and quite happy with it.
>>

>>> I upgraded from 97 to oOo and found it better (dispite MS's recent
>>> claims that oOo is 10 years behind.....

>> Better how?

> More stable, especially Excel and able to read later Office documents
> without issue.
>
>>> Given MS's hype I wonder what % they will loose with this upgrade
>>> cycle......ie how many people will actually buy/get it...as opposed
>>> to staying with old MS office's or getting oOo.....

>> The truth is that to most people oOo is not a consideration.

> Probably a true preception, but in reality there is no reason why not.
>
> By far the
>> greatest rival to the new MS Office will be everyone's existing MS
>> Office.

> Yes and no. By no I mean as the older Offices age people will be forced
> to look at buying a new version, that will cost them lots of $. At
> present I assume Office 2000 can be upgraded to 2004 / 12, but 97?
> probably not so a full retail version...besides which the OS may not
> support it, ie i used to run Office 97 on win2k, will 12 run on win2k?
> probably not...while with oOo you can have your cake and eat it.
>
>> For a huge percentage of PC users the features of oOo or Office 97 are
>> more than enough for their requirements. Who here can name features
>> on newer Office versions that would benefit a fairly average user?

> I cant think of any, but oOo can open anything so, that is at least one
> advantage, stability is better as well Ive found.
>
>> Of course it could be necessary to use the upgrade to Outlook 98 that
>> MS released for free to fix the horrendous bugs in Outlook 97. Then
>> again there are many users happy with Outlook Express.

> I would hope most people would not be running an old outlook.....ik.....
>
> As for Express, swiss cheese comes to mind....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Just tried oOo, and wasn't so sure about it. Sure, the interface isn't
as pretty, but I don't mind that. What annoyed me was the general
sluggishness (Office 2003 is way faster, both to load and to use).
Certainly a valid alternative to Office, and will surely improve, and I
would consider using it if I didn't already own Office 2003, but I think
I'll uninstall it now.

Speaking of office, does anyone know how to set the default language in
winword so it sticks? I tried setting it to English NZ many times, and
pressing "Default", but it still reverts to bastardised US english every
time I open a new document.

SchoolTech

thing2 wrote:
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html

Probably nonsense, as in, this feature will be optional i.e. the classic
interface will be available as a configuration option.

Stephen Williams

> Speaking of office, does anyone know how to set the default language in
> winword so it sticks? I tried setting it to English NZ many times, and
> pressing "Default", but it still reverts to bastardised US english every
> time I open a new document.

Have you checked your regional and language settings under Control Panel?

Steve

Chris Hope

SchoolTech wrote:

> thing2 wrote:
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html

> Probably nonsense, as in, this feature will be optional i.e. the
> classic interface will be available as a configuration option.

I read a review of MS Office in PC World and they didn't seem to think
you could revert to the "classic" interface. Interesingly Outlook
doesn't use the new interface and still uses the old menu driven
interface.

EMB

thing2 wrote:
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>
> Interesting, I wonder how many people are still on Office 95, 97 and 98?
>
> I upgraded from 97 to oOo and found it better (dispite MS's recent
> claims that oOo is 10 years behind.....

I've just moved one of my client companies from a mixture of Office
97/Office 2000 to oOo. Of the 25 users who have migrated I have only
had complaints from the 2 least computer literate who had rote learnt
how to drive MS Office rather than actually understanding what they were
doing.

--
EMB