Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is intel mobile cpu really this fast?

Is intel mobile cpu really this fast?

oldoldold

Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

The Other Guy

oldoldold wrote:
> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

It is difficult to compare processors that are internally very
different. The Pentium M processors perform very well despite their
lower clock speed, and no doubt it will match or beat a Pentium 4 2.6 on
some tasks. AMD processors are named after their 'equivalent' Pentium 4
counterpart, and run at similar clock speeds to the Pentium M.

The Other Guy

Nova

oldoldold wrote:
> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...st/page22.html

Basically P4's were inferior to p3's as far as how much work they can do
per clock cycle and the Pentium M's are related more to p3's than p4's
so they do far more work per clock than a p4.

Pentium M's are great, I'd prefer to have a pentium M in my desktop pc
than a p4 anyday or of course a nice AMD dual core beauty..

oldoldold

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:440bb311$(E-Mail Removed)...
> oldoldold wrote:
> > Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent

> > Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very

surprising, i
> > didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4

2.6+GHz
> > never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.
> >

> There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...st/page22.html
>
> Basically P4's were inferior to p3's as far as how much work they can do
> per clock cycle and the Pentium M's are related more to p3's than p4's
> so they do far more work per clock than a p4.
>
> Pentium M's are great, I'd prefer to have a pentium M in my desktop pc
> than a p4 anyday or of course a nice AMD dual core beauty..

Wow, both the replies i got were very surprising and interesting, I never
would have guessed things were as you say, things have obviously got a lot
more confusing for the average consumer.

SchoolTech

oldoldold wrote:
> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent to
> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very surprising, i
> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz
> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.

Pentium M is where Pentium of the future is going, the P4 Prescott is
being dumped in favour of a redeveloped Pentium M.

Mercury

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> oldoldold wrote:
>> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really equivalent
>> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very
>> surprising, i
>> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4
>> 2.6+GHz
>> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.
>>

> Pentium M is where Pentium of the future is going, the P4 Prescott is
> being dumped in favour of a redeveloped Pentium M.

Agree. And oddly, it has been droves of tech savy Consumers telling Intel
this! They finaly listened when AMD swooped on their market share with its
low heat dissipation / high performance CPU's...

~misfit~

Nova wrote:
> oldoldold wrote:
>> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really
>> equivalent to Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me,
>> seems very surprising, i didn't think there would even exist a
>> mobile cpu equivalent to a p4 2.6+GHz never mind that it would have
>> specs that make it look a lot slower.

> There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...st/page22.html
>
> Basically P4's were inferior to p3's as far as how much work they can
> do per clock cycle and the Pentium M's are related more to p3's than
> p4's so they do far more work per clock than a p4.
>
> Pentium M's are great, I'd prefer to have a pentium M in my desktop pc
> than a p4 anyday or of course a nice AMD dual core beauty..

Good article, I hadn't seen that. That's basically what I've been saying
about the whole Tualatin/Banias/Dothan Vs. P4 thing all along. Nice to see
it all in one place. I don't know how I missed it, it's been out a while
now.

P4s were a marketing tool rather than a step forward in CPU technology. AMD
had just beat Intel to 1GHz so Intel vowed to not let it happen again and
designed a CPU that would do one thing well; Run at higher MHz than AMDs
better-designed CPUs. Shame they dropped the best CPU they'd made to date,
the Tualatin, in the process.

Luckilly Intel's Israel R&D team kept playing with the Tualatin and came up
with the "Pentium M", originally used only as part of the Centrino laptop
package. However, it quickly became obvious that the CPU was far superior to
the Pentium 4. Intel dragged it's heels on it though, pumping out bigger
power-chewing P4s for a long time.

Intel's immediate future lies with this CPU. Look out for it in Intel's
upcoming multi-core offerings.

When Intel dropped theTualtin and produced a CPU that had to be pumped up to
a high rate of MHz to even compete with their own discontinued line (It
wasn't until they got their P4s faster than 1.6GHz that they actually
started to perform on a par with the 1.33GHz Pentium III). I stopped buying
or recommending Intel. Things may change though if they continue with tis
core.
--
~misfit~

thing2

Nova wrote:
> oldoldold wrote:
>
>> Is a Intel Pentium M (Centrino) - 1.4GHz 1MB L2 cache really
>> equivalent to
>> Pentium 4 - 2.6+GHz, this is what someone tells me, seems very
>> surprising, i
>> didn't think there would even exist a mobile cpu equivalent to a p4
>> 2.6+GHz
>> never mind that it would have specs that make it look a lot slower.
>>

> There are plenty of articles at Tomshardware about this
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...st/page22.html

A very interesting article.....thanks....

regards

thing