Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > More broadband news stories

More broadband news stories

Shane

Caught the end of TV ones sunday program, next week they are having a crack
at the broadband in New Zealand, bit like campbell did last week or two
The warm up? basically set the stage, it wasnt, are we getting ripped, it
was, we're getting ripped, and everyones laughing at our speeds
(Yeah original I know)

Ross Dawson

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:59:27 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>Caught the end of TV ones sunday program, next week they are having a crack
>at the broadband in New Zealand, bit like campbell did last week or two
>The warm up? basically set the stage, it wasnt, are we getting ripped, it
>was, we're getting ripped, and everyones laughing at our speeds
>(Yeah original I know)

From my personal point of view it's not the speeds but the silly caps
attached to reasonable speed plans which bites big.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

Matthew Poole

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:09:02 +1300, someone purporting to be Ross Dawson
didst scrawl:

> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:59:27 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> wrote:

*SNIP*
> From my personal point of view it's not the speeds but the silly caps
> attached to reasonable speed plans which bites big.

A 128kbps upstream is not reasonable. It's not broadband. 2Mbps might have
been clearly broadband 18 months ago, but it's not rapidly plummeting
toward narrowband status.
The new plans with a 512kbps upstream are progress, but the caps are
ludicrous. All the more so that they come with overage charging rather
than throttling. We're still getting ****ed, despite all of Telecon's
protestations to the contrary.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

~misfit~

Ross Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:59:27 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Caught the end of TV ones sunday program, next week they are having
>> a crack at the broadband in New Zealand, bit like campbell did last
>> week or two The warm up? basically set the stage, it wasnt, are we
>> getting ripped, it was, we're getting ripped, and everyones laughing
>> at our speeds (Yeah original I know)

> From my personal point of view it's not the speeds but the silly caps
> attached to reasonable speed plans which bites big.

I have similar views, caps, upload speeds and the number of people sharing a
<insert name of thing that number of people share> that bite. I haven't got
anywhere near 2M on my 2M connection, more like 1M (on a good minute of a
good day). However, if I'd purchased the 1M connection (Actrix) I'd have 30%
lower data caps. Could be cheaper too.
--
~misfit~

cowboyz

Ross Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:59:27 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Caught the end of TV ones sunday program, next week they are having
>> a crack at the broadband in New Zealand, bit like campbell did last
>> week or two The warm up? basically set the stage, it wasnt, are we
>> getting ripped, it was, we're getting ripped, and everyones laughing
>> at our speeds (Yeah original I know)

> From my personal point of view it's not the speeds but the silly caps
> attached to reasonable speed plans which bites big.

I agree. I would be more than happy with a 2meg connection/ unlimited data.
Maybe a better upload to 512 would be nice but not really a concern for me.