Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Life behind the FUD curtain.

Life behind the FUD curtain.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/

The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

Facinating!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you

RJ

> http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
>
> The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

Old hat.

But clueless trolls like you will keep on dredging up antique stuff like
this since youi don't have anything better to do.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
>
>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
>
>Facinating!

Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?

Most people have a preference. You have an irrational hatred.

You should probably seek help...

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:27:32 +1300, RJ wrote:

>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
>> The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

> Old hat.
>
> But clueless trolls like you will keep on dredging up antique stuff like
> this since youi don't have anything better to do.

I only found it today.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Peter

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
>>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
>>

> Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?

It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful abuse
of its monopoly position. Reports of their behaviour shows how MS rips off
their customers, shuts out competition and stifles innovation.

Some people think this sort of selfish, anti-social behaviour is not
acceptable. I don't hate Microsoft any more than I hate murderers, rapists
and terrorists, it is just that some types of behaviour are not acceptable.

See also ...
http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm
http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml
http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/

Peter

Crains

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:22:22 +1300, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
>exclaimed:
>
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
>>
>>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
>>
>>Facinating!
>>

>Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?
>
>Most people have a preference. You have an irrational hatred.
>
>You should probably seek help...

Its not just a hatred of Microsoft, but a irrational obsession with
Linux as well.

Gordon

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:27:32 +1300, RJ wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
>>
>> The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

> Old hat.
>
> But clueless trolls like you will keep on dredging up antique stuff like
> this since youi don't have anything better to do.

Took the bait eh?

RJ

> Fred Dagg wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > exclaimed:
> >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
> >>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
> >>

> > Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?

> It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful abuse
> of its monopoly position.

No. They were not found to have a monopoly position or to be a monopoly.
They were found to be capable of exerting monopoly power (big
difference).

> Reports of their behaviour shows how MS rips off
> their customers, shuts out competition and stifles innovation.

You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

Peter

RJ wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful
>> abuse of its monopoly position.

> No. They were not found to have a monopoly position or to be a monopoly.
> They were found to be capable of exerting monopoly power (big
> difference).

Might be a big difference for lawyers, but there is no difference for us
consumers out here in the real world. Recently I asked about buying a new
PC at a local computer store, and the owner told me he was "not allowed" to
sell a computer without Microsoft Windows installed. He offered to wipe
the hard disk for me, but I would still have to pay for a copy of Windows.
Sounds very much like one of those unlawful anti-competitive type contracts
to me.

> You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
> monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

No, you're wrong there, too - I'm not a government employee.
Anyway, bad performance by governments (or any other body) in no way
justifies unlawful and unethical behaviour on the part of Microsoft.

Peter

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 23:14:18 +1300, RJ wrote:

> You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
> monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

In case you hadn't noticed it, but our government is the sovereign power
in the kingdom of New Zealand.

That means it not only exercises monopolistic power, but it in fact IS a
monopoly.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea