Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Copying DVD Games.

Copying DVD Games.

krazy Bob

I have a personal copy of BF2 on dvd, and instead of having to leave my dvd
in the drive each time i play bf2, i would like to make a image of the disk
and put that on daemon tools and run bf2 from that.

Using clone cd, creates an .dvd file which daemon doesn't reconise, changing
it to .iso creates a image file as such and daemon reconises it and when its
loaded i get the auto run screen with the options of playing, un-installing
etc, but when i go to play i still get the "please insert dvd/cd" error.

Is there anyway to copy a dvd game?

TIA

KB

Peter Huebner

In article <dDVNf.884$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have a personal copy of BF2 on dvd, and instead of having to leave my dvd
> in the drive each time i play bf2, i would like to make a image of the disk
> and put that on daemon tools and run bf2 from that.
>
> Using clone cd, creates an .dvd file which daemon doesn't reconise, changing
> it to .iso creates a image file as such and daemon reconises it and when its
> loaded i get the auto run screen with the options of playing, un-installing
> etc, but when i go to play i still get the "please insert dvd/cd" error.
>
> Is there anyway to copy a dvd game?
>
> TIA
>
> KB

There is usually an easier way. Install your game, then go to
www.gamecopyworld.com or www.megagames.com and download the crack.
patch or replace the game exe for your game (what is a bf2???)
and Robert is the proverbial. No daemon tools, no images on hdd ...
that is what I do with all my games (except the few that aren't even
copy protected which are the ones I buy & play by preference; at the moment
it's GalCiv 2 and Guild Wars neither of which has ever asked me for the cd in
the drive -- these people get my money!).

Only game I have never found a crack for was Imperialism 1, but I don't play
that much any more; every time I want to a frantic search for the CD ensues

There are some hardcore copy programs out there, but I am simply not up with
the play. Alcohol 100% is one I've heard of, and maybe clonedvd.

-P.

krazy Bob

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <dDVNf.884$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I have a personal copy of BF2 on dvd, and instead of having to leave my
>> dvd
>> in the drive each time i play bf2, i would like to make a image of the
>> disk
>> and put that on daemon tools and run bf2 from that.
>>
>> Using clone cd, creates an .dvd file which daemon doesn't reconise,
>> changing
>> it to .iso creates a image file as such and daemon reconises it and when
>> its
>> loaded i get the auto run screen with the options of playing,
>> un-installing
>> etc, but when i go to play i still get the "please insert dvd/cd" error.
>>
>> Is there anyway to copy a dvd game?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> KB

> There is usually an easier way. Install your game, then go to
> www.gamecopyworld.com or www.megagames.com and download the crack.

Yea, i've seen / been to plcaes like that, if your asking for trouble in my
experiences by going to crack websites, most are populated with spyware and
other nasties, and sure it might be simple to have a no-cd crack, but
everytime there's a new patch out, you have to find a new no-cd.

> patch or replace the game exe for your game (what is a bf2???)
> and Robert is the proverbial. No daemon tools, no images on hdd ...
> that is what I do with all my games (except the few that aren't even
> copy protected which are the ones I buy & play by preference; at the
> moment
> it's GalCiv 2 and Guild Wars neither of which has ever asked me for the cd
> in
> the drive -- these people get my money!).

if i like a game, regardless of who made it, i'll buy it.
im not going to say ohh this game is made by so and so and they make u use
ur cd, im not going to buy it. thats stuipd in my opinnion.

> Only game I have never found a crack for was Imperialism 1, but I don't
> play
> that much any more; every time I want to a frantic search for the CD
> ensues
>
> There are some hardcore copy programs out there, but I am simply not up
> with
> the play. Alcohol 100% is one I've heard of, and maybe clonedvd.

Tried clone cd, doesn't work 100%, clone dvd only works for dvd movies.

Cheers
KB

Nicholas Sherlock

Peter Huebner wrote:
> There is usually an easier way. Install your game, then go to
> www.gamecopyworld.com or www.megagames.com and download the crack.
> patch or replace the game exe for your game (what is a bf2???)

That is really the worst option available. You can't update your BF2,
since you'll have to hope that a crack becomes available quickly for the
new version. Detection of cracked versions might catch you. The cracker
could have introduced problems with the program accidentally.

The best option is either to create an image of your CD, or even better,
you can sometimes find "Mini-images" on some crack sites. These are CD
images that only have the files required to make the game think that the
CD is legit. Usually only 20MB or so, and they'll work perfectly forever.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

~misfit~

krazy Bob wrote:
> "Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> patch or replace the game exe for your game (what is a bf2???)
>> and Robert is the proverbial. No daemon tools, no images on hdd ...
>> that is what I do with all my games (except the few that aren't even
>> copy protected which are the ones I buy & play by preference; at the
>> moment
>> it's GalCiv 2 and Guild Wars neither of which has ever asked me for
>> the cd in
>> the drive -- these people get my money!).

> if i like a game, regardless of who made it, i'll buy it.
> im not going to say ohh this game is made by so and so and they make
> u use ur cd, im not going to buy it. thats stuipd in my opinnion.

Jeez. Careful with your wording there Bob. That could quite easilly be read
as you calling Peter (who tried to help you) stupid. Peter is amongst the
nicest, most helpful people in this NG.
--
~misfit~

krazy Bob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> krazy Bob wrote:
>> "Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>> patch or replace the game exe for your game (what is a bf2???)
>>> and Robert is the proverbial. No daemon tools, no images on hdd ...
>>> that is what I do with all my games (except the few that aren't even
>>> copy protected which are the ones I buy & play by preference; at the
>>> moment
>>> it's GalCiv 2 and Guild Wars neither of which has ever asked me for
>>> the cd in
>>> the drive -- these people get my money!).

>> if i like a game, regardless of who made it, i'll buy it.
>> im not going to say ohh this game is made by so and so and they make
>> u use ur cd, im not going to buy it. thats stuipd in my opinnion.

> Jeez. Careful with your wording there Bob. That could quite easilly be
> read as you calling Peter (who tried to help you) stupid. Peter is amongst
> the nicest, most helpful people in this NG.
> --
> ~misfit~

Im sorry if my post came across as sounding like that, my appologies

KB

Peter Huebner

In article <duahp5$fea$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> That is really the worst option available. You can't update your BF2,
> since you'll have to hope that a crack becomes available quickly for the
> new version. Detection of cracked versions might catch you. The cracker
> could have introduced problems with the program accidentally.

Sorry, as I said in my first post, I don't know what BF is ... from what you
say I can only conclude that it's some kind of online game that keeps auto
updating, in which case I would agree with you 100% ... crack not really an
option.

O.t.o.h. with solo games like Civ4 I just value my convenience so highly that I
do actually not install a patch until the crack is available. I've two large
drawers of CDs and DVDs next to me here, proabably a couple of hundred disk all
up, many of them games, and I don't just play one of two of them ... I just
can't be fscked swapping and searching, swapping and searching. By the same
token, unfortunately I don't have terabytes of storage for disk images

-P.

Peter Huebner

In article <eM3Of.933$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> Yea, i've seen / been to plcaes like that, if your asking for trouble in my
> experiences by going to crack websites, most are populated with spyware and
> other nasties, and sure it might be simple to have a no-cd crack, but
> everytime there's a new patch out, you have to find a new no-cd.

The two sites I named are about as 'reputable' as they come. Nevertheless I
always run the virus checker over any archives I get from there, and I have
struck viruses, but always they were in a different file to the crack/patch
Yeah, it pays to be careful, an you are right about the patches - see my post
to Nick ...
... you gotta be a lot more careful if you search some hardcore hacker and
warez sites via astalavista and download stuff from there, in fact you even
want to seriously protect your browsing in the first place (hint: don't use
msie!).

> if i like a game, regardless of who made it, i'll buy it.
> im not going to say ohh this game is made by so and so and they make u use
> ur cd, im not going to buy it. thats stuipd in my opinnion.

Generally speaking, yes. There are exceptions though. I will not buy any games
with the new 'Starforce' protection, no more than I would install a Sony
rootkit on my system - they are as bad in intent as any virus written i.m.o.
and I will vote with my money, thanks.
I have also had a dvd drive trashed by an overzealous copy protection program
and you better believe I never bought another Sierra game after that! But it's
certainly not a religious issue with me, still I feel about the same about copy
protection as you feel about crack sites -- very cautious.

-P.

Peter Huebner

> Jeez. Careful with your wording there Bob. That could quite easilly be read
> as you calling Peter (who tried to help you) stupid.

Haha. An ever-recurring problem I get into with my wife. She says something, I
say 'but that's rubbish' - she hears 'you're stupid' when that's never what I
meant (I know damn well she's as sharp as a razor, and she knows I know;
regardless we both talk rubbish from time to time).

I wasn't the least offended by Bob, he was offering an opinion

>Peter is amongst the
> nicest, most helpful people in this NG.

<blush> why, thanks

-P.

~misfit~

Peter Huebner wrote:
> says...
>>
>> Jeez. Careful with your wording there Bob. That could quite easilly
>> be read as you calling Peter (who tried to help you) stupid.

> Haha. An ever-recurring problem I get into with my wife. She says
> something, I say 'but that's rubbish' - she hears 'you're stupid'
> when that's never what I meant (I know damn well she's as sharp as a
> razor, and she knows I know; regardless we both talk rubbish from
> time to time).

LOL, don't we all.

> I wasn't the least offended by Bob, he was offering an opinion

That's a good thing. However, it *could* have been taken the wrong way.
Lucky you're more reasonable than that huh?

>> Peter is amongst the
>> nicest, most helpful people in this NG.

> <blush> why, thanks

NP. Respect is earned, never given.