Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > itunes music store ads on telly?

itunes music store ads on telly?

dmbkiwi@gmail.com

Why am I seeing ads on telly (tv3 @ 10pm tonight) advertising Wynton
Marsalis as being available on the itunes music store. Does this mean
the itunes music store is now available in NZ?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the 2 Mar 2006 01:06:28 -0800 when I remembered
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) saying something like this:

>Why am I seeing ads on telly (tv3 @ 10pm tonight) advertising Wynton
>Marsalis as being available on the itunes music store. Does this mean
>the itunes music store is now available in NZ?

I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
wonder what the point of the ad is.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> T'was the 2 Mar 2006 01:06:28 -0800 when I remembered
> (E-Mail Removed) saying something like this:
>
> >Why am I seeing ads on telly (tv3 @ 10pm tonight) advertising Wynton
> >Marsalis as being available on the itunes music store. Does this mean
> >the itunes music store is now available in NZ?

> I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
> wonder what the point of the ad is.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.
> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

Well they've always had iPod ads and many of them have ended with the
text "iPod + iTunes"...this one is more focussed on the ITMS and it's a
little silly they are using it. If you look closely you'll see a quick
caption that has been added that says the iTMS doesn't exist for NZ
users.

Phil
--
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
http://www.nzmac.com

I'm A Trampoline

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
> wonder what the point of the ad is.

I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
the same numbers of something.

Philip Roy

In article <du6gfo$66a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
I'm A Trampoline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Waylon Kenning wrote:
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
> > wonder what the point of the ad is.

> I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
> way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
> the same numbers of something.

Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.

Phil
--
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
http://www.nzmac.com

Philip

Philip Roy wrote:
> In article <du6gfo$66a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I'm A Trampoline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
>>> wonder what the point of the ad is.

>> I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
>> way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
>> the same numbers of something.

> Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
> launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
> expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
> date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.
>
> Phil

Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.

Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
and region-coded music access?

Philip

Mutlley

Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Philip Roy wrote:
>> In article <du6gfo$66a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> I'm A Trampoline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
>>> way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
>>> the same numbers of something.

>> Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
>> launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
>> expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
>> date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.
>>
>> Phil

>Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.
>
>Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
>and region-coded music access?
>
>Philip

Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??

Philip

Mutlley wrote:
> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Philip Roy wrote:

>>> Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
>>> launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
>>> expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
>>> date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.
>>>
>>> Phil

>> Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.
>>
>> Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
>> and region-coded music access?
>>
>> Philip

> Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??

A combination - but Apple has been assiduous in stripping ITunes users
of their fair use rights, forcing them to download "upgrades" that
impose more limits on what they can do, and locking down the ludicrously
named "Fairplay" DRM so users can't play music they've already paid for
how and when they want to.

The OZ High Court already ruled in the XBox case that busting region
coding is not an illegal circumvention of a content protection system
under their copyright laws. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Oz that
would like to argue that Apple's refusal to supply people living in New
Zealand is a breach of Australia's WTO agreements, and the CER
agreements between Oz & NZ.

Philip

Philip Roy

In article <4407c1ae$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mutlley wrote:
> > Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.
> >>
> >> Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
> >> and region-coded music access?
> >>
> >> Philip

> > Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??
> >

> A combination - but Apple has been assiduous in stripping ITunes users
> of their fair use rights, forcing them to download "upgrades" that
> impose more limits on what they can do, and locking down the ludicrously
> named "Fairplay" DRM so users can't play music they've already paid for
> how and when they want to.
>
> The OZ High Court already ruled in the XBox case that busting region
> coding is not an illegal circumvention of a content protection system
> under their copyright laws. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Oz that
> would like to argue that Apple's refusal to supply people living in New
> Zealand is a breach of Australia's WTO agreements, and the CER
> agreements between Oz & NZ.
>
> Philip

Your mixing your issues...the Xbox example is a case of modifying
effectively the player, not the content. The content would therefore
still be copyrighted, still have regional information...as this comment
says..

"The judges, according to the Associated Press, decided that while
pirating a game is one thing, playing an otherwise legit game using a
mod chip is another"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/aussie_chipmod/

Therefore, the actual content as such on iTMS OZ would not be affected
by this ruling and would still be under copyright...something CER
doesn't wipe.

Phil
--

Philip Roy wrote:
> In article <4407c1ae$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mutlley wrote:

>>> Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??
>>>

>> A combination - but Apple has been assiduous in stripping ITunes users
>> of their fair use rights, forcing them to download "upgrades" that
>> impose more limits on what they can do, and locking down the ludicrously
>> named "Fairplay" DRM so users can't play music they've already paid for
>> how and when they want to.
>>
>> The OZ High Court already ruled in the XBox case that busting region
>> coding is not an illegal circumvention of a content protection system
>> under their copyright laws. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Oz that
>> would like to argue that Apple's refusal to supply people living in New
>> Zealand is a breach of Australia's WTO agreements, and the CER
>> agreements between Oz & NZ.
>>
>> Philip

> Your mixing your issues...the Xbox example is a case of modifying
> effectively the player, not the content. The content would therefore
> still be copyrighted, still have regional information...as this comment
> says..
>
> "The judges, according to the Associated Press, decided that while
> pirating a game is one thing, playing an otherwise legit game using a
> mod chip is another"
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/aussie_chipmod/
>
> Therefore, the actual content as such on iTMS OZ would not be affected
> by this ruling and would still be under copyright...something CER
> doesn't wipe.
>
> Phil

I have no problem with copyright - I do have a lot of problems with
region coding.

Philip