Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Trackpads for Desktop Computers

Trackpads for Desktop Computers

I'm A Trampoline

Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found
two on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and
the other doesn't look too much like a shop.

Are there any other makers of external trackpads?

I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not
any easier to come by years later.

Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

news.xtra.co.nz

"I'm A Trampoline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:du6511$hi0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found two
> on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and the
> other doesn't look too much like a shop.
>
> Are there any other makers of external trackpads?
>
> I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
> for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not any
> easier to come by years later.
>
> Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

even better would be a desktop keyboard with a trackpoint as per the ibm
thinkpads - these are even better than trackpads.

news.xtra.co.nz

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VbxNf.612$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "I'm A Trampoline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:du6511$hi0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found
>> two on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and the
>> other doesn't look too much like a shop.
>>
>> Are there any other makers of external trackpads?
>>
>> I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
>> for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not any
>> easier to come by years later.
>>
>> Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

> even better would be a desktop keyboard with a trackpoint as per the ibm
> thinkpads - these are even better than trackpads.

news.xtra.co.nz

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VbxNf.612$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "I'm A Trampoline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:du6511$hi0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found
>> two on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and the
>> other doesn't look too much like a shop.
>>
>> Are there any other makers of external trackpads?
>>
>> I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
>> for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not any
>> easier to come by years later.
>>
>> Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

> even better would be a desktop keyboard with a trackpoint as per the ibm
> thinkpads - these are even better than trackpads.

Hmmm, I now see that IBM (now lenovo) make a USB keyboard with built-in
trackpoint - i am just trying to get a full size piccie of this from
somewhere.

But, the buggers don't sell this here in NZ and the price is steep too.

Don Hills

In article <ArxNf.617$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>Hmmm, I now see that IBM (now lenovo) make a USB keyboard with built-in
>trackpoint - i am just trying to get a full size piccie of this from
>somewhere.

I believe they source them from Unicomp, who bought the tooling and designs
when Lexmark dropped the line. There's a picture on Unicomp's home page and
better details in the catalog.

http://www.pckeyboard.com

>But, the buggers don't sell this here in NZ and the price is steep too.

You can order from Unicomp. Can't help you with the price, unfortunately.
Quality is always expensive - last time I looked, an IBM Model M was about
$150.

I like this one:
http://www.pckeyboard.com/ontheballplus.html

I used an earlier model for a while, and I found it very comfortable.
The trackball is surprisingly eay to use- try it yourself:
Let your right hand relax so that the fingers curl partly closed.
Turn your hand so that the thumb is uppermost.
Drop your hand on the top right corner of your existing keyboard so that the
thumb is on top and the fingertips touch the "front" face of the keyboard
(the edge that faces the screen).
On the trackball keyboard, the ball is under your thumb and there is a
second set of "mouse" buttons on the front face underneath your first two
fingers.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Rider

"I'm A Trampoline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:du6511$hi0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found two
> on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and the
> other doesn't look too much like a shop.
>
> Are there any other makers of external trackpads?
>
> I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
> for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not any
> easier to come by years later.
>
> Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

Not sure about Touchpad's on their own, but you can get keyboards with
touchpad's built in.

Rider

"I'm A Trampoline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:du6511$hi0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found two
> on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and the
> other doesn't look too much like a shop.
>
> Are there any other makers of external trackpads?
>
> I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
> for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not any
> easier to come by years later.
>
> Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

I expect you've already seen this

http://www.emts.co.nz/smartcat.html

Rider

I'm A Trampoline

Rider wrote:
> "I'm A Trampoline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:du6511$hi0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Anyone know any shops that sell a Cirque Smart Cat in NZ? I only found two
>>on Google, from memory one of them doesn't supply it anymore, and the
>>other doesn't look too much like a shop.
>>
>>Are there any other makers of external trackpads?
>>
>>I have one (I had to order it from overseas), I was just shopping today
>>for a coworker who also wants one, and noticed that they're still not any
>>easier to come by years later.
>>
>>Why is this? Mice are an ergonomic nightmare.

> I expect you've already seen this
>
> http://www.emts.co.nz/smartcat.html

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. There's a couple of funky
things on there when you click "Return to Assistive Technology
Products": the "Smartnav head operated mouse" and the "Orbitouch keyboard".