Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is Microsoft trying to FUD its way past the NZ government?

Is Microsoft trying to FUD its way past the NZ government?

Philip

Pamela Jones' respected Groklaw site has this report:

On the face of it this looks like the kind of FUD we saw from Microsoft
in the Great Massachusetts Open Document row.

Philip

Matty F

Philip wrote:

> Pamela Jones' respected Groklaw site has this report:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60301213210833
>
> On the face of it this looks like the kind of FUD we saw from Microsoft
> in the Great Massachusetts Open Document row.

It's worth logging into Google archives the two salient points:

1. Chapmann Tripp advises New Zealand State Services Commission
that the New Zealand Government should be wary of using
'infectious' open source software.

2. Chapman Tripp works for Microsoft.

In my opinion Chapman Tripp are biased and should not be advising
the NZ Government about computer software.

I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot
open with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them
about the NZ Governments commitment to open source software with
sensible standards for document formats that don't change every year.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:37:16 +1300, Philip wrote:

> Pamela Jones' respected Groklaw site has this report:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60301213210833
>
> On the face of it this looks like the kind of FUD we saw from Microsoft in
> the Great Massachusetts Open Document row.

We can expect a fight from Micro$oft every bit as dirty and nasty as the
Massachusetts one. Micro$oft does not want anybody - expecially any
government - to use either Linux or the Open Document file format.

Micro$oft, in reality, does not believe in fair play on an even playing
field, and will actively lobby and spread political propaganda to protect
its monopolistic privilege.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:45:07 +1300, Matty F wrote:

> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards for
> document formats that don't change every year.

What committment is this? When was this committment made?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Gordon

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:27:19 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:45:07 +1300, Matty F wrote:
>
>> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
>> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
>> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards for
>> document formats that don't change every year.

> What committment is this? When was this committment made?

More to the point, can Windows 2000 open an open document?

I care not which platform which one is on, but I do get ****ed off that
someone sends me a file which I can not open on my platform. Rather like a
car which will not start. Worse than useless.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:09:05 +1300, Gordon wrote:

>>> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
>>> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
>>> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards
>>> for document formats that don't change every year.

>> What committment is this? When was this committment made?
>>

> More to the point, can Windows 2000 open an open document?
>
> I care not which platform which one is on, but I do get ****ed off that
> someone sends me a file which I can not open on my platform. Rather like a
> car which will not start. Worse than useless.

Indeed!

This is why open standards (such as Open Document) published by standards
organisations are a good thing.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Peter

Matty F wrote:
> 1. Chapmann Tripp advises New Zealand State Services Commission
> that the New Zealand Government should be wary of using
> 'infectious' open source software.
>
> 2. Chapman Tripp works for Microsoft.
>
> In my opinion Chapman Tripp are biased and should not be advising
> the NZ Government about computer software.

The issue of bias might be debateable, but it is incontrovertible that CT is
conflicted.

At the very least, CT should have declared their conflict of interest in
that report. But really, SSC should have had someone else provide the
advice.

Peter

Bette Noir

On , , Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:09:05 +1300, Re: Is Microsoft trying
to FUD its way past the NZ government?, Gordon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:27:19 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:45:07 +1300, Matty F wrote:
>>
>>> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
>>> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
>>> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards for
>>> document formats that don't change every year.

>> What committment is this? When was this committment made?
>>

>More to the point, can Windows 2000 open an open document?
>
>I care not which platform which one is on, but I do get ****ed off that
>someone sends me a file which I can not open on my platform.

I specify to people the format that they must send documents and
information. If they don't I dump it and tell them.
---