Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Killfile in Agent

Killfile in Agent

Crains

Does anyone know how to setup to kill a certain author in Agent and
also automatically kill any replies to that author's posts?

The kill file works great but its quite annoying to have to go through
replies when I don't care about what the original poster had to say in
the first place.

Any help is appreciated.

GraB

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:04:43 +1300, Crains <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to setup to kill a certain author in Agent and
>also automatically kill any replies to that author's posts?
>
>The kill file works great but its quite annoying to have to go through
>replies when I don't care about what the original poster had to say in
>the first place.
>
>Any help is appreciated.

It is easy enough to killfile an author: right-click on the post, go
down to Filters then across to Add Kill Filter.

I wouldn't know how to kill replies to that author though, if it is
possible.

Shane

GraB wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:04:43 +1300, Crains <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how to setup to kill a certain author in Agent and
>>also automatically kill any replies to that author's posts?
>>
>>The kill file works great but its quite annoying to have to go through
>>replies when I don't care about what the original poster had to say in
>>the first place.
>>
>>Any help is appreciated.

> It is easy enough to killfile an author: right-click on the post, go
> down to Filters then across to Add Kill Filter.
>
> I wouldn't know how to kill replies to that author though, if it is
> possible.

kill the thread?

Crains

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:24:04 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:04:43 +1300, Crains <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know how to setup to kill a certain author in Agent and
>>>also automatically kill any replies to that author's posts?
>>>
>>>The kill file works great but its quite annoying to have to go through
>>>replies when I don't care about what the original poster had to say in
>>>the first place.
>>>
>>>Any help is appreciated.

>> It is easy enough to killfile an author: right-click on the post, go
>> down to Filters then across to Add Kill Filter.
>>
>> I wouldn't know how to kill replies to that author though, if it is
>> possible.

>kill the thread?

Thanks guys but I know how to kill an author but I want to be able to
kill all replies to that authors posts (from their post onwards in
that branch of the tree, hope that makes sense), not necessarily kill
the entire thread. I'm not sure if this is even possible.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Does anyone know how to setup to kill a certain author in Agent and
> also automatically kill any replies to that author's posts?
>
> The kill file works great but its quite annoying to have to go through
> replies when I don't care about what the original poster had to say in
> the first place.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Rules

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid
says...

> Thanks guys but I know how to kill an author but I want to be able to
> kill all replies to that authors posts (from their post onwards in
> that branch of the tree, hope that makes sense), not necessarily kill
> the entire thread. I'm not sure if this is even possible.

It is _possible_. I unfortunately am no expert on Agent, I tried many times but
I just don't like that newsreader, even with the interface as of January this
year (last time I tried it).

What you will have to do is, get the *message ID* of the offending message,
then check that message ID against the *references* header in the incoming
messages and set to 'ignore' where applicable.

I can do this easily manually in Gravity, but I haven't ever looked at
implementing some sort of macro that would automate this process. Maybe you can
do that in Agent, I don't know if it has custom macros.

h.t.h. -Peter

Brendan

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:04:43 +1300, Crains wrote:

> Does anyone know how to setup to kill a certain author in Agent and
> also automatically kill any replies to that author's posts?
>
> The kill file works great but its quite annoying to have to go through
> replies when I don't care about what the original poster had to say in
> the first place.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Agent will not do this.

But Dialog, a clone of agent superior to agent in every way, will. Just
program it as a filter.

I use the same thing to colour all replies to my messages differently; it'd
be simple to change that to a 'mark-read' instead.

Dialog is free.

--

.... Brendan

#412248 +(4372)- [X]

<Locl-Yocl> I helped the EMTs at a car wreck and got blood all over my arms
and shirt. It looked like I murdered 20 people with a fork... anyway, I
walked into a convieniance store down the street and said my girlfriend
needs a tampon. The guy at the counter was mortified.

Note: All my comments are copyright 3/03/2006 2:16:05 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Gordon

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 02:48:08 +1300, Brendan wrote:

> Dialog is free.

In a demmocray, I do hope so.

David

Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 02:48:08 +1300, Brendan wrote:
>
>> Dialog is free.

> In a demmocray, I do hope so.

Wouldn't that be 'dialogue'?

Crains

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>>
>> Thanks guys but I know how to kill an author but I want to be able to
>> kill all replies to that authors posts (from their post onwards in
>> that branch of the tree, hope that makes sense), not necessarily kill
>> the entire thread. I'm not sure if this is even possible.
>>

> It is _possible_. I unfortunately am no expert on Agent, I tried many
> times but I just don't like that newsreader, even with the interface
> as of January this year (last time I tried it).
>
> What you will have to do is, get the *message ID* of the offending
> message, then check that message ID against the *references* header
> in the incoming messages and set to 'ignore' where applicable.
>
> I can do this easily manually in Gravity, but I haven't ever looked at
> implementing some sort of macro that would automate this process.
> Maybe you can do that in Agent, I don't know if it has custom macros.
>
> h.t.h. -Peter

Thanks i'll give that a try