Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > what parallel port mode?

what parallel port mode?

old&new

What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
printer or a colour scanner, I usually only use spp as I am using an hp
laserjet iii, will using spp cause any problems with the aforementioned
hardware, is it only a speed issue or could it muck up the colour
capabilities etc... The epson manual does not mention anything about what
port mode to use so I presume it is not a problem but then again the manual
and printer itself is pretty useless.

Dave Taylor

"old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$(E-Mail Removed):

> What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
> printer or a colour scanner,

Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
less CPU.
You can always change back...
Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly detected
ECP port to use an IRQ.
You should see a dramatic performance increase.

--
Ciao, Dave

Andy Simpson

old&new wrote:
> What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
> printer or a colour scanner, I usually only use spp as I am using an hp
> laserjet iii, will using spp cause any problems with the aforementioned
> hardware, is it only a speed issue or could it muck up the colour
> capabilities etc... The epson manual does not mention anything about what
> port mode to use so I presume it is not a problem but then again the manual
> and printer itself is pretty useless.

Try EPP mode, you could also try ECP, although that mode requires a DMA
Channel

old&new

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AB397DBC84daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
> > printer or a colour scanner,

> Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
> less CPU.
> You can always change back...
> Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
> Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

detected
> ECP port to use an IRQ.
> You should see a dramatic performance increase.
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

I changed to ecp+epp mode, would I be ebtter off just choosing ecp mode? As
for the cable I don't know how good or bad it is. I think the scan is faster
now but I am not sure and still can't do anything else on the computer while
the scan is going on.

old&new

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AB397DBC84daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
> > printer or a colour scanner,

> Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
> less CPU.
> You can always change back...
> Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
> Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

detected
> ECP port to use an IRQ.
> You should see a dramatic performance increase.
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

sorry i meant to say thanks for that.

old&new

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AB397DBC84daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
> > printer or a colour scanner,

> Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
> less CPU.
> You can always change back...
> Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
> Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

detected
> ECP port to use an IRQ.
> You should see a dramatic performance increase.
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

A high quality(not 48 bit), 300dpi colour scan of a colour a4 page takes 65
seconds on my acer 310p scanner which was made in 1998 and only goes to
300dpi as far as I know. Now I am pretty sure it is faster than before I
changed the port mode.