Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Vista

Windows Vista

E. Scrooge

Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released and
people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it on
his old computer.

It should be promoted better than insinuating that it's better because all
prevous versions of Windows including XP are rubbish compared to Vista.
That says bugger all about it's actual qualities.
If it's real good it should be it's own unique features that make it a good
step forward. When people have been using it for about 6 months with all
kinds of programs running on it, will be when the real proof about how good
it is will be known.
By then it's bound to have damn sight better descriptions than the childish
immature one "that it doesn't suck" - which means about as much as Roger's
"crap" reports.

E. Scrooge

Peter

*sling wrote:

> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released
> and
> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it on
> his old computer.

The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example Vista's
associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going to
happen?

Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and similar
users to do something about it from their end (eg buying Microsoft's
products), or will they accept that those with Open Office should be able
to interwork with their files.

The message IMO is becoming quite clear, businesses and Government have a
moral obligation not to migrate to any 'new' system that 'breaks' generally
accepted interoperability.

E. Scrooge

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> *sling wrote:
>
>> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released
>> and
>> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
>> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it on
>> his old computer.
>>

> The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example Vista's
> associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
> versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going to
> happen?
>
> Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and
> similar
> users to do something about it from their end (eg buying Microsoft's
> products), or will they accept that those with Open Office should be able
> to interwork with their files.
>
> The message IMO is becoming quite clear, businesses and Government have a
> moral obligation not to migrate to any 'new' system that 'breaks'
> generally
> accepted interoperability.

It's strange all right that there's no compatibility what so ever between
different versions of Microsoft Office and Works.

E. Scrooge

SchoolTech

E. Scrooge wrote:
> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released and
> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it on
> his old computer.
>
> It should be promoted better than insinuating that it's better because all
> prevous versions of Windows including XP are rubbish compared to Vista.
> That says bugger all about it's actual qualities.
> If it's real good it should be it's own unique features that make it a good
> step forward. When people have been using it for about 6 months with all
> kinds of programs running on it, will be when the real proof about how good
> it is will be known.
> By then it's bound to have damn sight better descriptions than the childish
> immature one "that it doesn't suck" - which means about as much as Roger's
> "crap" reports.

Whatever Scrooge...do you think this kind of inanity contributes a lot
to nz.comp

thing2

SchoolTech wrote:
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>
>> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's
>> released and people mostly with new computers start using it. Since
>> the new computer should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny
>> trying to install it on his old computer.
>>
>> It should be promoted better than insinuating that it's better because
>> all prevous versions of Windows including XP are rubbish compared to
>> Vista. That says bugger all about it's actual qualities.
>> If it's real good it should be it's own unique features that make it a
>> good step forward. When people have been using it for about 6 months
>> with all kinds of programs running on it, will be when the real proof
>> about how good it is will be known.
>> By then it's bound to have damn sight better descriptions than the
>> childish immature one "that it doesn't suck" - which means about as
>> much as Roger's "crap" reports.

> Whatever Scrooge...do you think this kind of inanity contributes a lot
> to nz.comp

More than your gormless reports anyway....

regards

Thing

SchoolTech

Peter wrote:
> *sling wrote:
>
>> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released
>> and
>> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
>> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it on
>> his old computer.
>>

> The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example Vista's
> associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
> versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going to
> happen?

Oh, I guess some people might have to start paying to use office software.

> Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and similar
> users to do something about it from their end (eg buying Microsoft's
> products), or will they accept that those with Open Office should be able
> to interwork with their files.

Why should they?
If you're on Windows you can buy Office.

SchoolTech

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> *sling wrote:
>>
>>> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released
>>> and
>>> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
>>> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it on
>>> his old computer.
>>>

>> The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example Vista's
>> associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
>> versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going to
>> happen?
>>
>> Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and
>> similar
>> users to do something about it from their end (eg buying Microsoft's
>> products), or will they accept that those with Open Office should be able
>> to interwork with their files.
>>
>> The message IMO is becoming quite clear, businesses and Government have a
>> moral obligation not to migrate to any 'new' system that 'breaks'
>> generally
>> accepted interoperability.

> It's strange all right that there's no compatibility what so ever between
> different versions of Microsoft Office and Works.

Works is probably a buy-in. The Mac version of Works was produced by a
company other than Microsoft.

But you can save a Works document in an Office format, can't you?

Allistar

*sling wrote:

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> *sling wrote:
>>
>>> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released
>>> and
>>> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
>>> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it
>>> on his old computer.
>>>

>> The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example Vista's
>> associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
>> versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going
>> to happen?
>>
>> Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and
>> similar
>> users to do something about it from their end (eg buying Microsoft's
>> products), or will they accept that those with Open Office should be able
>> to interwork with their files.
>>
>> The message IMO is becoming quite clear, businesses and Government have a
>> moral obligation not to migrate to any 'new' system that 'breaks'
>> generally
>> accepted interoperability.

> It's strange all right that there's no compatibility what so ever between
> different versions of Microsoft Office and Works.

I wonder when Microsoft Office will be able to open either sxw or odf
formats, if ever. I find their lack of compatibility annoying.

Allistar.

E. Scrooge

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44064a4e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example
>>> Vista's
>>> associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
>>> versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going
>>> happen?
>>>
>>> Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and
>>> similar
>>> users to do something about it from their end (eg buying Microsoft's
>>> products), or will they accept that those with Open Office should be
>>> able
>>> to interwork with their files.
>>>
>>> The message IMO is becoming quite clear, businesses and Government have
>>> moral obligation not to migrate to any 'new' system that 'breaks'
>>> generally
>>> accepted interoperability.

>> It's strange all right that there's no compatibility what so ever between
>> different versions of Microsoft Office and Works.

> Works is probably a buy-in. The Mac version of Works was produced by a
> company other than Microsoft.
>
> But you can save a Works document in an Office format, can't you?

But the while it's a document the format still changes between different
versions. WPS Word files are different formats between different versions
of Word as well. Real annoying.

E. Scrooge

Peter

SchoolTech wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>> *sling wrote:
>>
>>> Like Windows XP the proof in the real pudding will be when it's released
>>> and
>>> people mostly with new computers start using it. Since the new computer
>>> should be well be setup for it, instead of Johnny trying to install it
>>> on his old computer.
>>>

>> The challenge is going to come with file formats. If for example Vista's
>> associated Office suite tweaks file formats so they work OK with earlier
>> versions of Office, but 'break' the likes of Open Office, what is going
>> to happen?

> Oh, I guess some people might have to start paying to use office software.

You can stick that right up your *****. Why should not people use an
alternative suitable product.

>> Can businesses and Government agencies simply expect Open Office and
>> similar users to do something about it from their end (eg buying
>> Microsoft's products), or will they accept that those with Open Office
>> should be able to interwork with their files.

> Why should they?
> If you're on Windows you can buy Office.

Why should Government and business support monopoly non-standards, when
perfectly good commodity standards are becoming available. Does the
Government require everyone to (say) drive Hondas.