Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The most reliable ADSL modem

The most reliable ADSL modem

Philip

What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem - reliable
in the sense that if it loses the connection, it automatically logs
itself back in and carries on as if nothing had happened.

The "free" Dynalink RTA modem that came with our remote installation
falls over, apparently according to an internal NOT SOMETIMES switch,
and then puts up a screen with username and password already entered and
waits for human agreement. There seems no way to automate that process.

Dropouts are annoying but so long as it automtically restarts I don't
actually care.

Suggestions welcome - it's part of an LPFM setup that wants to download
news updates and other programming once an hour, it's 20 km from here
and should just sit unattended in its locked shed and get on with life.

Philip

news.xtra.co.nz

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem - reliable in
> the sense that if it loses the connection, it automatically logs itself
> back in and carries on as if nothing had happened.
>
> The "free" Dynalink RTA modem that came with our remote installation falls
> over, apparently according to an internal NOT SOMETIMES switch, and then
> puts up a screen with username and password already entered and waits for
> human agreement. There seems no way to automate that process.
>
> Dropouts are annoying but so long as it automtically restarts I don't
> actually care.
>
> Suggestions welcome - it's part of an LPFM setup that wants to download
> news updates and other programming once an hour, it's 20 km from here and
> should just sit unattended in its locked shed and get on with life.
>
> Philip

My dick smith adsl 4-port modem seems to work as you describe.

The only indication that this modem has reset is that the ip address has
changed so any ip applications that rely on a constant IP address over an
entire session will fail (eg, cisco vpn client) .

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:55:52 +1300 when I remembered Philip

>What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem - reliable
>in the sense that if it loses the connection, it automatically logs
>itself back in and carries on as if nothing had happened.

I bought a Billion ADSL modem. Awesome. For all intents and purposes,
it's always up. If a connection's dropped, it reconnects no worries.
Also does Virtual Server stuff, so I can route port numbers to
different IPs which helps with running servers.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

~misfit~

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem -
>> reliable in the sense that if it loses the connection, it
>> automatically logs itself back in and carries on as if nothing had
>> happened. The "free" Dynalink RTA modem that came with our remote
>> installation
>> falls over, apparently according to an internal NOT SOMETIMES
>> switch, and then puts up a screen with username and password already
>> entered and waits for human agreement. There seems no way to
>> automate that process. Dropouts are annoying but so long as it
>> automtically restarts I don't
>> actually care.
>>
>> Suggestions welcome - it's part of an LPFM setup that wants to
>> download news updates and other programming once an hour, it's 20 km
>> from here and should just sit unattended in its locked shed and get
>> on with life. Philip

> My dick smith adsl 4-port modem seems to work as you describe.
>
> The only indication that this modem has reset is that the ip address
> has changed so any ip applications that rely on a constant IP address
> over an entire session will fail (eg, cisco vpn client) .

My Alcatel Speedtouch 510 v4 is also great. I rarely need to touch it, if
ever. However they're over twice the price of the DSE unit mentioned above.
--
~misfit~

krazy Bob

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T'was the Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:55:52 +1300 when I remembered Philip
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem - reliable
>>in the sense that if it loses the connection, it automatically logs
>>itself back in and carries on as if nothing had happened.

> I bought a Billion ADSL modem. Awesome. For all intents and purposes,
> it's always up. If a connection's dropped, it reconnects no worries.
> Also does Virtual Server stuff, so I can route port numbers to
> different IPs which helps with running servers.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.
> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

i agree billion is one of the best router's out there in my opinion, and
there is heaps of info on forums with other people who have billion products

KB

Peter Huebner

> Suggestions welcome - it's part of an LPFM setup that wants to download
> news updates and other programming once an hour, it's 20 km from here
> and should just sit unattended in its locked shed and get on with life.
>
> Philip

My personal preference goes with USR and 3com.

I've read a post by a guy who had a d-link and had lots of bad reconnects,
dropouts etc, after he went USR his speed went up and he had no more dropouts.

Which coincides my experience of USR external analogue modems (simply the
best).

If I had been able to get one at the time I would've gone for a USR router, but
I couldn't get one so I bought one from the people who bought up USR (3com) and
I simply assume that they mix their very good networking experience with the
very good USR modem knowhow. So far this has been borne out. I live over 6 km
from the cabinet and I get full speed on my 1Mbit connection and only get a
port error on the connection 3-maybe 6 times a month, and it always reconnects
without fail when that happens.

Can't comment on Billion and Alcatel.

-P.

Steve

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:43:39 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem -
>>> reliable in the sense that if it loses the connection, it
>>> automatically logs itself back in and carries on as if nothing had
>>> happened. The "free" Dynalink RTA modem that came with our remote
>>> installation
>>> falls over, apparently according to an internal NOT SOMETIMES
>>> switch, and then puts up a screen with username and password already
>>> entered and waits for human agreement. There seems no way to
>>> automate that process. Dropouts are annoying but so long as it
>>> automtically restarts I don't
>>> actually care.
>>>
>>> Suggestions welcome - it's part of an LPFM setup that wants to
>>> download news updates and other programming once an hour, it's 20 km
>>> from here and should just sit unattended in its locked shed and get
>>> on with life. Philip

>> My dick smith adsl 4-port modem seems to work as you describe.
>>
>> The only indication that this modem has reset is that the ip address
>> has changed so any ip applications that rely on a constant IP address
>> over an entire session will fail (eg, cisco vpn client) .

> My Alcatel Speedtouch 510 v4 is also great. I rarely need to touch it, if
> ever. However they're over twice the price of the DSE unit mentioned above.

I second this... mine's a 510sw, and it's both extremely flexible in it's
abilities and has been 'always' on for well over 2 years without a break
now.

Steve

EMB

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> My dick smith adsl 4-port modem seems to work as you describe.
>
> The only indication that this modem has reset is that the ip address has
> changed so any ip applications that rely on a constant IP address over an
> entire session will fail (eg, cisco vpn client) .

Seconded. I've got about a dozen of them running at various sites and
they don't seem to give any problem. They are based on the same
reference desgn as the Billion routers mentioned elsewhere in this
thread (before DSE got decent firmware I used to flash them with the
Billion firmware).

--
EMB

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
Philip exclaimed:
> What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem - reliable
> in the sense that if it loses the connection, it automatically logs
> itself back in and carries on as if nothing had happened.

My Asus does.

My 3COM does not - so I don't use it.
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:55:52 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What do people here find to be the most reliable ADSL modem - reliable
>in the sense that if it loses the connection, it automatically logs
>itself back in and carries on as if nothing had happened.

My Cisco 827 is good at reconnecting. Ciscos are hideously expensive
though - less than they used to be, but still bad in comparison to
almost anything else.

If you are a long way from the exchange or have a bad line, then you
want an ADSL modem that is powered from 24 volts. Lower voltage power
supplies mean that there is less headroom on the ADSL signaling, and
you can not connect on a lesser quality line, or you suffer from
dropouts.