Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Nathan Mercer

Philip wrote:

> Nathan Mercer wrote:
> > attention getting subject line
> >
> > Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
> >
> > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp
> >
> > It's worth the read.
> >
> > "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
> > under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
> > dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
> > anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
> > is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
> > evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
> > it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
> > operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
> > from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."
> >

> A good article and it makes the new product seem desirable. But I'd like
> to know more about the inbuilt DRM capacities that have been rumored for
> months.

Can you go into a bit more detail around the DRM?

Are you talking about NGCSB? or the BitLocker Drive Encryption? Or
DRM of High Definition content or?

Stephen Williams

> I have no intention of ever again installing any Micro$oft software on any
> computer in my home.
>
> Micro$oft is history. Linux is what's cool at present and will be
> everywhere in the near future. A sustained 20% year on year growth is not
> something to dismiss lightly.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
> Linux, and
> it does all the things that they want."

Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive. Also it
seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news group, not really a
good sign of growth.

The general public wants windows, the general public gets windows. I get
lots of money from removing spyware etc from windows. The status quo is
great!

David

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>
>> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>> attention getting subject line
>>>
>>> Great, multi part article on Windows Vista technology advances:
>>>
>>> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931913,00.asp
>>>
>>> It's worth the read.
>>>
>>> "It's hard to take a real look at Vista, both on the surface and
>>> under the hood, and consider it just another Windows rehash. This is a
>>> dramatic, whole-hog upgrade of the Windows platform. If you got
>>> anything out of this article, we hope it's the realization that Vista
>>> is not simply the Windows XP/2000 code base that has been slowly
>>> evolving over the years with some fancy graphics and icons slapped onto
>>> it. It should be clear that Vista is really the next generation of
>>> operating system from Microsoft, every bit as significant as the leap
>>> from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or the jump from Mac OS 9 to OS X."
>>>

>> A good article and it makes the new product seem desirable. But I'd like
>> to know more about the inbuilt DRM capacities that have been rumored for
>> months.

> Can you go into a bit more detail around the DRM?
>
> Are you talking about NGCSB? or the BitLocker Drive Encryption? Or
> DRM of High Definition content or?

Any built-in support for DRM. eg. will it stop me from reading a DVD
from another region, and will the OS handle DRM'd WMA's etc differently?
I guess what I really want to know, does Vista include any "features"
that will stop me doing any of the things I can do on my PC now (with or
without 3rd party software) (regardless of their legality, that's
unrelated).

Chris Hope

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive.
> Also it seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news
> group, not really a good sign of growth.

There are a lot of Linux users in this group, but most us don't share
his extremism...

Chris Hope

Stephen Williams wrote:

> The general public wants windows, the general public gets windows.

Actually, I'd disagree with that - the general public wants a computer
that works.

I don't think the average punter really cares what's on it as long as
it's easy to use, they can browse the web, send emails, install all
sorts of useful bits of software, plug their camera in and copy photos
to it etc.

For the moment, that happens to be Windows because pretty much all the
computers out there for sale have Windows on them, and the average Joe
computer user doesn't want to mess around installing operating systems
(even if they are aware there are alternatives out there).

Stephen Williams

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive.
>> Also it seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news
>> group, not really a good sign of growth.

> There are a lot of Linux users in this group, but most us don't share
> his extremism...
>
> --
> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

That's actually good to hear. I couldn't care less if Linux is better than
windows or not, but blind faith fanboys who won't shut up will only put
people off the very thing they are trying to promote. Seems to be a lot of
it in the computer industry... Linux/windows/mac, Intel/AMD, nvidia/ATi.
Who really cares?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:03:02 +1300, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive. Also it
> seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news group, not really
> a good sign of growth.

More a sign that Linux has become mainstream, actually.

Have you seen the number of IT jobs being advetized that now require
experience with Linux??

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

Chris Hope

Stephen Williams wrote:

> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Stephen Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah same old story, but the "near future" never seems to arrive.
>>> Also it seems you are the last linux extremist left in this news
>>> group, not really a good sign of growth.

>> There are a lot of Linux users in this group, but most us don't share
>> his extremism...

> That's actually good to hear. I couldn't care less if Linux is better
> than windows or not, but blind faith fanboys who won't shut up will
> only put people off the very thing they are trying to promote.

Yes, and they never seem to actually realise they might be putting
people off.

[snip]

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:16:28 +1300, David wrote:

> Any built-in support for DRM. eg. will it stop me from reading a DVD from
> another region, and will the OS handle DRM'd WMA's etc differently? I
> guess what I really want to know, does Vista include any "features" that
> will stop me doing any of the things I can do on my PC now (with or
> without 3rd party software) (regardless of their legality, that's
> unrelated).

Indeed!

The OS should not dictate what people can do with certain files, or
certain types of media. The moment the OS starts preventing people from
doing what they want to do, is the moment that OS becomes redundant.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:55:34 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> Are you talking about NGCSB? or the BitLocker Drive Encryption? Or DRM
> of High Definition content or?

Okaaay.

So there are multiple implementations of Digital Restrictions Management
in Windoze Vi$ta.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea