Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Nik Coughlin

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> And the introduction late this year, or early next year, of the US$100
> laptop running Linux will speed up the rate of adoption.

I think that is only intended to be produced for third world and developing
countries.

Nik Coughlin

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

>>> You've obviously not used much of the Open Source desktop, have you.

>> Hi
>> Have you tried Xgl?

> What programme is that?

Xgl is an X server architecture layered on top of OpenGL. It takes advantage
of modern graphics cards via their OpenGL drivers, supporting hardware
acceleration of all X, OpenGL and XVideo applications and graphical effects
by a compositing window manager such as Compiz.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use Linux almost exclusively on the desktop and have been for three
>years now. ...

>--
>Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:46:18 +1300, Bobs wrote:

> I use Suse very often thanks very much. I'd take Windows XP or MAc OS
> over it anyday.

That suggests you don't know how to drive it, or have not explored what it
can do.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:48:12 +1300, Bobs wrote:

>> Because of the way Linux is distributed, there's no economic penalty for
>> upgrading from one version to the next.

> Yes there is. The time it takes to do it costs money.

Hmmm...

Half an hour of a housewife's time...

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:39:39 +1300, jennings wrote:

> Actually ive used linux longer than you

And are you still using it? Are you using a current distro?

And if so, what about it, specifically (ie as IBM would use that word,
and not as SCO would use it), do you dislike?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:39:39 +1300, jennings wrote:

> Why does it need such major development, does it still sadly lack, why
> are there so many bug fixes in kde.

For example, in SuSE 10 there is a new comprehensive search system
(Beagle) - Micro$oft wanted to put something similar into Longhorn, but
had to dump it because it couldn't be finished in time.

For example, Firefox.
For example, Open Office2.
For example, 64bit versions (out for several years already)
For example, completely customisable desktops - even ranging to a choice
of multiple different desktops as well as being able to fully and
comprehensively customise many of them.

And then there are audio editors, video editors, database servers,
graphics editors, and the list goes on, not to mention changes and
refinements even to the kernel itself.

In short, Linux is under rapid development because there are so many
people out there actively and freely contributing to it. Micro$oft
couldn't possibly hope to keep up with it. With each complete new release
of a distro there are new and exciting improvements that continue to
leave Micro$oft's efforts further and further behind.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
it does all the things that they want."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:39:39 +1300, jennings wrote:

> Ive used winNT win2000 winxp for yrs

LOL - and you're boasting about it!

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:23:30 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> There's of course Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition available for download

Why go for the demo (express) version of Visual Basic when you could have
the full and latest most recent release of the complete GNU Compiler
Collection 4.1, or Perl, or Python, or PHP, or Ruby, or any other Open
language as a simple download from an Open Source software repository?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:03:03 -0800, mcaulaymj wrote:

>> > Yes there is. The time it takes to do it costs money.

>> If that matters to you more than it matters to update your OS, then
>> don't do it.
>>
>> Simple, really.
>>
>> Philip

> It may be simple, but you are incorrect when you say there's no economic
> penalty. Either way there's a penalty. You are forced to use outdated
> software, or you update to the latest distro which costs time. Simple
> really.

How is there an economic penalty for staying with a version of software
that is still more than adequate for doing all things that you need it to
do?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea