Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PSU Loading

PSU Loading

Mike Newman

I've got an IBM NetVista 6059 KZA desktop which has a Hitachi DVD-ROM
with no Write capability.

I'd like to make the machine more versatile, by replacing the DVD-ROM
with a DVD/CD RW.

Will a DVD/CD RW increase the current drain above that for the DVD-ROM
and so overload the PSU, which is rated at 155 watts.

Any ideas?

Thanks MikeN

Stephen Williams

> I've got an IBM NetVista 6059 KZA desktop which has a Hitachi DVD-ROM
> with no Write capability.
>
> I'd like to make the machine more versatile, by replacing the DVD-ROM
> with a DVD/CD RW.
>
> Will a DVD/CD RW increase the current drain above that for the DVD-ROM
> and so overload the PSU, which is rated at 155 watts.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks MikeN

No

Mercury

I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....

Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
tiny, so you are right to query.

About the only thing I can suggest is to research if the PSU to find out if
it is a standard one, if so, try a DVD R/W drive and if you start getting
intermittent failures be prepared to upgrade the PSU.

Another option is to remove something internally that you don't use to
reduce PSU loading... Under clocking is another option.

There i bound to be a DVD R/W version of your machine - check the PSU size
on that along with he DVD drive model and usee that as an indication...

"Mike Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got an IBM NetVista 6059 KZA desktop which has a Hitachi DVD-ROM
> with no Write capability.
>
> I'd like to make the machine more versatile, by replacing the DVD-ROM
> with a DVD/CD RW.
>
> Will a DVD/CD RW increase the current drain above that for the DVD-ROM
> and so overload the PSU, which is rated at 155 watts.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks MikeN

SchoolTech

Mercury wrote:
> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
>
> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
> tiny, so you are right to query.

Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.

LOL

Mike Newman

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mercury wrote:
>> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
>>
>> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
>> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
>> tiny, so you are right to query.

>Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
>
>LOL

What's an SFF PC?

Stephen Williams

"Mike Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mercury wrote:
>>> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
>>>
>>> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
>>> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU
>>> is
>>> tiny, so you are right to query.

>>Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
>>
>>LOL

> What's an SFF PC?

Small Form Factor PC

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Mercury wrote:
> >> I have no idea at all of any IBM models.....
> >>
> >> Adding write ability to a drive will increase PSU loading by a small
> >> amount - usually so small it is not a consideration. But a 155 watt PSU is
> >> tiny, so you are right to query.

> >Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
> >
> >LOL

> What's an SFF PC?

Might also be called Low Profile. A small desktop case a few inches
high, very tightly packed inside (some used laptop CD ROM drives, others
had just enough room inside for a standard drive).

Typically there are limited expansion capabilities with just enough bays
for 1 HDD and 1 optical drive and 1 floppy drive, perhaps 2 expansion
slots, 2 memory slots etc.

The older style machines used a special motherboard based on the LPM
motherboards with a riser slot for the expansion cards and the riser
card which carried the expansion slots mounted the latter parallel to
the motherboard. Occasionally you would see a double sided riser with
perhaps as many as five slots, but a single sided riser with 2 - 3 slots
is much more common. Hence these machines also tend to have onboard
video, sound and network.

Intel invented the NLX form factor specifically for this market to
standardise on the board and chassis designs based on ATX, but it never
really took off, and most of these small form factor chassis today use a
standard microATX motherboard which requires low profile expansion cards
in the slots. These cards are lesser in height than standard PCI cards
as the cage is smaller to fit in the lower case. Quite often these days
manufacturers will make a card for both sizes supplied with 2 brackets,
one for each height, which can be changed over fairly easily with a
screwdriver. Quite often the motherboard can be used in either a full
height or low profile chassis.

Gordon

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:57:23 +1300, Stephen Williams wrote:

> "Mike Newman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:25:20 +1300, SchoolTech
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Some of those old SFF PCs shipped with 90W PSUs.
>>>
>>>LOL

>> What's an SFF PC?

> Small Form Factor PC

Yep, Google agrees.