Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dlink adsl router

dlink adsl router

Andrew

Ive gone and broken something...

I have a webserver running at home. To go to it i just have to go to
http://mary and it loads the page
From outside the network i go to my ip address.

From inside the network if i go to my ip address it directs me to my
modems login page, Same as if i went to 10.1.1.1

I was looking at the modems admin page and it had an option for me to
change the port of the http access to the admin... So i did, I changed
it from 80 to 62000

I figured that i would then be able to go to 10.1.1.1:62000 to get to
the admin page and then 10.1.1.1 would go to the webpage thats hosted

However that didnt work and now i cant get to the modems admin page..

Does anyone know what i need to do?

Im hoping to not have to reset the modem to defaults with the magic
button (if it has one that is)

Fred Dagg

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:42:38 +1300, Andrew
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Ive gone and broken something...
>
>I have a webserver running at home. To go to it i just have to go to
>http://mary and it loads the page
> From outside the network i go to my ip address.
>
> From inside the network if i go to my ip address it directs me to my
>modems login page, Same as if i went to 10.1.1.1
>
>I was looking at the modems admin page and it had an option for me to
>change the port of the http access to the admin... So i did, I changed
>it from 80 to 62000
>
>I figured that i would then be able to go to 10.1.1.1:62000 to get to
>the admin page and then 10.1.1.1 would go to the webpage thats hosted
>
>However that didnt work and now i cant get to the modems admin page..
>

>Does anyone know what i need to do?
>
>Im hoping to not have to reset the modem to defaults with the magic
>button (if it has one that is)

Hmm, can you not access it on port 80 or 62000?

You could try telneting into it, and changing the port that way.

Shane

Andrew wrote:

> Ive gone and broken something...
>
> I have a webserver running at home. To go to it i just have to go to
> http://mary and it loads the page
> From outside the network i go to my ip address.
>
> From inside the network if i go to my ip address it directs me to my
> modems login page, Same as if i went to 10.1.1.1
>
> I was looking at the modems admin page and it had an option for me to
> change the port of the http access to the admin... So i did, I changed
> it from 80 to 62000
>
> I figured that i would then be able to go to 10.1.1.1:62000 to get to
> the admin page and then 10.1.1.1 would go to the webpage thats hosted
>
> However that didnt work and now i cant get to the modems admin page..
>

> Does anyone know what i need to do?
>
> Im hoping to not have to reset the modem to defaults with the magic
> button (if it has one that is)

For internal access
On a windows box, put a hosts file in.. system32??
On a linux box put a hosts file in /etc
<my ip address> <my host name>
127.0.0.1 mary
10.1.1.1 router

HTH

El Penguino

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ive gone and broken something...
>
>I have a webserver running at home. To go to it i just have to go to
>http://mary and it loads the page
> From outside the network i go to my ip address.
>
> From inside the network if i go to my ip address it directs me to my
>modems login page, Same as if i went to 10.1.1.1
>
>I was looking at the modems admin page and it had an option for me to
>change the port of the http access to the admin... So i did, I changed
>it from 80 to 62000
>
>I figured that i would then be able to go to 10.1.1.1:62000 to get to
>the admin page and then 10.1.1.1 would go to the webpage thats hosted
>
>However that didnt work and now i cant get to the modems admin page..
>

>Does anyone know what i need to do?
>
>Im hoping to not have to reset the modem to defaults with the magic
>button (if it has one that is)

I had the same situation.
As another poster said, a host entry will redirect your own requests
to the webserver. The host file has no extension and is simply
"hosts", no quotes. look in: C:/windows/system32/drives/etc

Add an entry for your server. e.g.
10.1.1.1 mywebserver

and save it.
Your PC, when making a DNS lookup for a name runs through the hosts
file first and viola, your webserver comes up.
You dont have to reset your modem to port 80 but the next time you
need to log in and cant you may wish you had reset it to default.

You can also use a dynamic DNS service to track your changing IP and
reference it to a host name, making it easier to give out to people.

HTH
Chris

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Connecting DLink ADSL modem with LinkSys router proficient@gmail.com Computer Support 15 06-27-2006 06:29 AM
Configuring a Dlink 604+ ADSL router Helpneeded Computer Support 0 08-05-2004 11:56 AM
How to Connect Dlink Router to a Dlink Router? fgarvin2000NOSPAM@yahoo.com Computer Support 2 09-06-2003 05:05 AM

Advertisments