Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Moores Law will hold true for a while yet

Moores Law will hold true for a while yet

Mercury

So, your telling m your too lazy to google the original article and you want
me to quote it for you?

GIYF. Read the original article.

"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:32:24 +1300, Mercury wrote:
>
>> You need to read the original article by Mr Moore.
>>
>> How else can we interprit Intel's action? "Give away", "Stolen", "Fought
>> furiously for".... IMO, they made it so easy for AMD that it was a Give
>> Away. AMD has worked well to maximise the benefit for its self, but if
>> AMD
>> did not exist, Intel's actions and failures still equate to a huge loss
>> of
>> sales, so they have given away those sales.

> Moore's law is an observation on how the density of transistors on a
> single integrated circut had changed over time. That is all. Nothing to do
> with heat or speed. (altho' heat dissipation and clock speed are directly
> affected by density and voltage)
>
> Intel did not "give away" anything. It just developed a dud product in the
> name of faster clock speeds. AMD just went and produced a CPU that could
> do more work.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
>
> --
> Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur
> when
> coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

news.xtra.co.nz

> "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:du2t6p$lh4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Doubt it.
>>
>> So no one wants a faster sytem just cos there are no new OS?
>>
>> One of the really big new things is Media Centre type apps. I would like
>> to be able to biff the 4GB files arounf a *lot* faster than I can
>> currently - I am sure everyone else working with VOB's and DIVx and
>> whatever else would like to too. Thats only 1 application, but its a
>> biggy and growing quickly.
>>
>> One can spend days sorting out video files due to current performance
>> limits and not evn have much o a video library.
>>

>> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> They will be releasing a lot of faster chips once Vista comes out.
>>> Basically Microsoft appears to have slowed it down, by not releasing a
>>> new version of windows for many years.
>>>

>>> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:qWnMf.154638$(E-Mail Removed)...

> This is my personal opinion, and I have also read articles with similar
> views. The fact is, with windows xp, most computer buyers (the target
> market of businesses and home users) don't need a computer faster than 3
> Ghz. There really hasn't been much of a speed increase in computers for a
> good couple of years, which matches the fact that their hasn't been a new
> release of windows.
> However when Vista is released, people will be wanting to upgrade to it.
> The fact is, most people don't buy a standalone operating system (they
> want things as easy and simple as possible), so they buy the computer
> bundled with the OEM windows license all preinstalled. This is a win win
> situation for both microsoft and intel, especially as Vista has such high
> processor requirements to run all it's features and eye candy.

well, my 5 year , 1.2ghz Dell notebook with 512mb ram runs xp perfectly
well. Probabliy the major performance limiting factor is the harddrive.

No need to upgrade yet.

Re: while True or while 1 BartC Python 8 12-28-2010 03:00 PM
Re: while True or while 1 Krister Svanlund Python 6 12-14-2010 04:52 PM
does the saying "don't optimise" hold true for GUI? - Java 3 03-23-2005 06:16 AM
while 1 vs while True Timothy Fitz Python 16 12-15-2004 09:27 PM

Advertisments