Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mobile internet data costs?

Mobile internet data costs?

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:11:26 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>>Actuall not. The coverage on Telecom's network is better, and in terms of
>>>speed, CDMA EVDO will beat UMTS:
>>>
>>>UMTS max 384Kbps (average 250Kbps)
>>>EVDO max: 2Mbps (average 600Kbps)

>> However, in practice, we evaluated both and found Vodafone's to be
>> superior. I guess there are a combination of factors. I know Vodafone
>> uses some pretty sophisticated compression (because it killed syncing
>> 3G-enabled PDAs to our Exchange Server over their 3G).
>>
>> Also I'm guessing the above is in perfect conditions and probably
>> burst-speed, whereas Vodafone's would consistently be faster in most
>> of the "good, not great" reception areas, and more consistent. Well,
>> that's our experience, anyway.
>>
>> In regards to coverage, that is a fable. Telecom has coverage of
>> surrounding sea areas, but Vodafone covers more land mass, according
>> to the sales droids and coverage maps. Since I'm not a sailer,
>> Vodafone is the natural choice, based on coverage.

>I actually use both with my Winows Mobile devices.
>
>For e-mail access, or synchronisation to an Exchange Server, one or the
>other will provide the same really. Just a single connection. Latency on
>UMTS though is much higher and when it comes to multiple connections (such
>as web browsing or some web services) then you will notice an impact.

Yeah, truth be told, speed isn't really a factor for us. Our devices
auto-sync every 5 mins, so there is very seldomly a time when we're
actually waiting on them to do anything - it just happens.

Have you come across the compression issue syncing Windows Mobile 2005
devices with Exchange over 3G? We resolved it (by turning off
compression on the server), but there was surprisingly little
documentation about it online.

>As for the speed, I measured both in the Wellington CBD and I constantly get
>better results on the Telecom device.

Hmm, maybe that's got something to do with it. We're in the mainland.

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:11:26 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>> However, in practice, we evaluated both and found Vodafone's to be
>>> superior. I guess there are a combination of factors. I know Vodafone
>>> uses some pretty sophisticated compression (because it killed syncing
>>> 3G-enabled PDAs to our Exchange Server over their 3G).
>>>
>>> Also I'm guessing the above is in perfect conditions and probably
>>> burst-speed, whereas Vodafone's would consistently be faster in most
>>> of the "good, not great" reception areas, and more consistent. Well,
>>> that's our experience, anyway.
>>>
>>> In regards to coverage, that is a fable. Telecom has coverage of
>>> surrounding sea areas, but Vodafone covers more land mass, according
>>> to the sales droids and coverage maps. Since I'm not a sailer,
>>> Vodafone is the natural choice, based on coverage.

>>I actually use both with my Winows Mobile devices.
>>
>>For e-mail access, or synchronisation to an Exchange Server, one or the
>>other will provide the same really. Just a single connection. Latency on
>>UMTS though is much higher and when it comes to multiple connections (such
>>as web browsing or some web services) then you will notice an impact.

> Yeah, truth be told, speed isn't really a factor for us. Our devices
> auto-sync every 5 mins, so there is very seldomly a time when we're
> actually waiting on them to do anything - it just happens.
>
> Have you come across the compression issue syncing Windows Mobile 2005
> devices with Exchange over 3G? We resolved it (by turning off
> compression on the server), but there was surprisingly little
> documentation about it online.
>
>>As for the speed, I measured both in the Wellington CBD and I constantly
>>get
>>better results on the Telecom device.

> Hmm, maybe that's got something to do with it. We're in the mainland.

No, I haven't had any problems - I understand you are talking about the
Vodafone 3G? All my Windows Mobile devices synchronise over HTTPS, and I am
not sure the Vodafone Optimiser actually does anything on port 443.

I have an i-mate Jasjar synchronising over 3G, but I am using the MSFP
(AKU2) with Exchange Server SP2. On my Apache it uses the standard Windows
Mobile 5.0, but to the same Exchange Server SP2.

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:42:41 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>I have an i-mate Jasjar synchronising over 3G, but I am using the MSFP
>(AKU2) with Exchange Server SP2. On my Apache it uses the standard Windows
>Mobile 5.0, but to the same Exchange Server SP2.

Interesting. The devices we were having the problems with were also
Jasjars, and our Exchange is SP2 (apparently the problems started
happening for others after the service pack, although ours was already
SP2).

We are currently just using standard Activesync, however all that push
stuff looks very interesting.

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:42:41 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>

>>I have an i-mate Jasjar synchronising over 3G, but I am using the MSFP
>>(AKU2) with Exchange Server SP2. On my Apache it uses the standard Windows
>>Mobile 5.0, but to the same Exchange Server SP2.

> Interesting. The devices we were having the problems with were also
> Jasjars, and our Exchange is SP2 (apparently the problems started
> happening for others after the service pack, although ours was already
> SP2).
>
> We are currently just using standard Activesync, however all that push
> stuff looks very interesting.

Have you looked at this article yet?

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

Nathan Mercer

Fred Dagg wrote:
> >I have an i-mate Jasjar synchronising over 3G, but I am using the MSFP
> >(AKU2) with Exchange Server SP2. On my Apache it uses the standard Windows
> >Mobile 5.0, but to the same Exchange Server SP2.

> Interesting. The devices we were having the problems with were also
> Jasjars, and our Exchange is SP2 (apparently the problems started
> happening for others after the service pack, although ours was already
> SP2).

Not sure of the exact problem you had. There is some new data
compression in Exchange 2003 SP2 ActiveSync where data sent to the
device is compressed using GZip, but this requires Windows Server 2003
on FE Server, maybe you had Win2000?

> We are currently just using standard Activesync, however all that push
> stuff looks very interesting.

As Mauricio points out it wil be available real soon now with upgraded
ROM software on devices. Especially useful for you if you are
currently doing a scheduled sync every 5 mins, you should find you get
your email/calendar/tasks etc faster through Direct Push, battery life
should increase and the data usage may even go down, it depends.

Easy to install and nothing to configure or change short of putting SP2
on your Exchange FE and adjusting the connection timeouts on the
firewall in front of the Exchange FE to 30+ mins - 45mins is good if
you can do it.

Cheers
Nathan

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Fred Dagg wrote:
>> >I have an i-mate Jasjar synchronising over 3G, but I am using the MSFP
>> >(AKU2) with Exchange Server SP2. On my Apache it uses the standard
>> >Windows
>> >Mobile 5.0, but to the same Exchange Server SP2.

>> Interesting. The devices we were having the problems with were also
>> Jasjars, and our Exchange is SP2 (apparently the problems started
>> happening for others after the service pack, although ours was already
>> SP2).

> Not sure of the exact problem you had. There is some new data
> compression in Exchange 2003 SP2 ActiveSync where data sent to the
> device is compressed using GZip, but this requires Windows Server 2003
> on FE Server, maybe you had Win2000?

I think the GZip compression is only for SP2 and MSFP, isn't it?

Anyway, Fred Dagg was talking about the Vodafone Optimiser. If he is
peforming ActiveSync over non-SSL connection then the Vodafone Optimiser
could be intercepting the requests to the server - remember the VO is a
proxy server - and making all go crazy...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:40:05 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:42:41 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>

>>>I have an i-mate Jasjar synchronising over 3G, but I am using the MSFP
>>>(AKU2) with Exchange Server SP2. On my Apache it uses the standard Windows
>>>Mobile 5.0, but to the same Exchange Server SP2.

>> Interesting. The devices we were having the problems with were also
>> Jasjars, and our Exchange is SP2 (apparently the problems started
>> happening for others after the service pack, although ours was already
>> SP2).
>>
>> We are currently just using standard Activesync, however all that push
>> stuff looks very interesting.

>Have you looked at this article yet?
>
>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5915

Actually, yes!! This afternoon after your last post... LOL

Damn it, I can't find reference to the error I was having. Now it's
really bugging me. I'm pretty sure it may have also been specific to
SBS 2003, with SP2, lots of people had the same problem, and it was
resolved by turning off compression via a direct edit of the
metabase.xml file.

Nathan Mercer

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> >> Interesting. The devices we were having the problems with were also
> >> Jasjars, and our Exchange is SP2 (apparently the problems started
> >> happening for others after the service pack, although ours was already
> >> SP2).

> > Not sure of the exact problem you had. There is some new data
> > compression in Exchange 2003 SP2 ActiveSync where data sent to the
> > device is compressed using GZip, but this requires Windows Server 2003
> > on FE Server, maybe you had Win2000?
> >

> I think the GZip compression is only for SP2 and MSFP, isn't it?

Correct. It does sound like its the Voda Optimiser

> Anyway, Fred Dagg was talking about the Vodafone Optimiser. If he is
> peforming ActiveSync over non-SSL connection then the Vodafone Optimiser
> could be intercepting the requests to the server - remember the VO is a
> proxy server - and making all go crazy...

I've never tried doing Exchange ActiveSync without security over Voda
myself, but certainly the Optimiser might be breaking it, it wouldn't
surprise me. Fred, put the sheep down, and tell us some more about the
symptoms and how you fixed it

Cheers
Nathan