Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer phoning latvia

Computer phoning latvia

Lynn

Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable
etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
is kept updated.
TIA, Lynn

frederick

Lynn wrote:
> Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
> have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable
> etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
> is kept updated.
> TIA, Lynn

Free-AV (http://www.free-av.com/) has dialer protection. You may need
to configure it on - not sure if it's enabled or disabled by default.
Also, with dialers, you might want to check where your kids have been on
the net to pick them up from. Often, they come disguised as "viewer
software" for hard core porno sites etc.
Umm... and you still want to let the kids online?
If not - pull the modem out and lock it up somewhere safe.

krazy Bob

"Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dTULf.154393$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
> have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable etc
> to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm, spybot
> search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME is kept
> updated.
> TIA, Lynn

your running ME thats your 1st problem

Lynn

frederick wrote:
> Lynn wrote:
>
>> Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the
>> kids have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable ,
>> disable etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with
>> zone alarm, spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti
>> virus. Also ME is kept updated.
>> TIA, Lynn

> Free-AV (http://www.free-av.com/) has dialer protection. You may need
> to configure it on - not sure if it's enabled or disabled by default.
> Also, with dialers, you might want to check where your kids have been on
> the net to pick them up from. Often, they come disguised as "viewer
> software" for hard core porno sites etc.
> Umm... and you still want to let the kids online?
> If not - pull the modem out and lock it up somewhere safe.

Thanks will give the puter a good check over tomorrow. I think Ill be
disabling their dialup as well. Cheers.

Dave Taylor

Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dTULf.154393$vH5.1358089
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> uter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
> is kept updated.

AVG, mmm
Try avast.

Try Trend micro housecall.

Try NOT using IE

Windows Me, well no user lock down features in that so, just keep those
tools up to date and use a hosts file. Spybot may have features you did
not know about, check advanced mode.

--
Ciao, Dave

Brendan

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:50:10 +1300, Lynn wrote:

> Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
> have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable
> etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
> is kept updated.
> TIA, Lynn

Your computer has a dialer program(s); e.g. a trojan, a virus. And likely a
lot more.

The fact that an updated ad-aware and spybot find nothing is cause for
concern; you may have a root-kit. Very nasty.

1. Get onto telecom, and put a toll-bar on your line. Explain to them why.
Telecom will not refund your bill after the first time you get infected
with a dialer. You could be forking out $3000 in phone bills. Believe it,
it has happened before regularly. Courts are not sympathetic.

2. Backup your files. Your wanted DATA files. Onto cd. Scan them on a
friends computer that is know to be ok. Print out your contacts email
addresses.

3. wipe your hard drive. Format C: or equivalent. Reinstall.

4. install protection and keep it up to date.

5. change the password on your internet account with your ISP. Do NOT 'save
password' when dialling in. Ever. This way the kids cannot use the net
without you typing it in. When you do that is up to you.

Lynn, do not think for a second that if this happens again you will be ok
and not have to pay. I cannot emphasize this enough. You will be paying.

--

.... Brendan

#142934 +(6095)- [X]

docsigma2000: jesus christ man
docsigma2000: my son is sooooooo dead
c8info: Why?
docsigma2000: hes been looking at internet web sites in ****ing EUROPE
docsigma2000: HE IS SURFING LONG DISTANCE
docsigma2000: our ****ing phone bill is gonna be nuts
c8info: Ooh, this is bad. Surfing long distance adds an extra $69.99 to
your bill per hour.
docsigma2000: ...!!!!!! **** **** ****
docsigma2000: is there some plan we can sign up for???
docsigma2000: cuz theres some cool stuff in europe, but i dun wanna pauy
that much
c8info: Sorry, no. There is no plan. you'll have to live with it.
docsigma2000: o well, i ccan live without europe intenet sites.
docsigma2000: but till i figure out how to block it hes sooooo dead
c8info: By the way, I'm from Europe, your chatting long distance.
** docsigma2000 has quit (Connection reset by peer)

Note: All my comments are copyright 26/02/2006 12:58:46 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:37:14 +1300, Lynn wrote:

> Thanks will give the puter a good check over tomorrow. I think Ill be
> disabling their dialup as well. Cheers.

You should also consider installing a better OS than Microsoft Windows.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:50:10 +1300, Lynn wrote:

> Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
> have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable
> etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
> is kept updated.
> TIA, Lynn

http://www.tucows.com/preview/329276

Ross

On 26 Feb 2006 01:04:11 +1300, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dTULf.154393$vH5.1358089
>@news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>> uter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
>> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
>> is kept updated.
>>

>AVG, mmm
>Try avast.
>
>Try Trend micro housecall.
>
>Try NOT using IE
>
>Windows Me, well no user lock down features in that so, just keep those
>tools up to date and use a hosts file. Spybot may have features you did
>not know about, check advanced mode.

I second use of a HOSTS file. Search for HOSTS.ZIP. Extract to your
windows\system folder. (98 or ME).
You should also install SpywareBlaster 3.5.1

These BLOCK known baddies, whereas the other tools you mention
(except ZA) only LOOK for them in your files, perhaps after they have
done their dirty work.

Ross

Ross

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:21:34 +1300, Ross <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 26 Feb 2006 01:04:11 +1300, Dave Taylor
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dTULf.154393$vH5.1358089
>>@news.xtra.co.nz:
>>
>>> uter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
>>> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
>>> is kept updated.
>>>

>>AVG, mmm
>>Try avast.
>>
>>Try Trend micro housecall.
>>
>>Try NOT using IE
>>
>>Windows Me, well no user lock down features in that so, just keep those
>>tools up to date and use a hosts file. Spybot may have features you did
>>not know about, check advanced mode.

>I second use of a HOSTS file. Search for HOSTS.ZIP. Extract to your
>windows\system folder. (98 or ME).
>You should also install SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
>
>These BLOCK known baddies, whereas the other tools you mention
>(except ZA) only LOOK for them in your files, perhaps after they have
>done their dirty work.
>
>Ross

Whoops, the HOSTS file goes in the Windows folder on 98 and ME
It goes in Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder on 2K and XP