Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Teletext, closed captions, SKY and a HDD recorder

Reply
Thread Tools

Teletext, closed captions, SKY and a HDD recorder

 
 
Ian Boag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2006
Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).

I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
this (I don't mind paying)

Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
called partslink.

Cheers Ian B
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
krazy Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2006

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
>
> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
> this (I don't mind paying)
>
> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
> called partslink.
>
> Cheers Ian B


Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
author it on there.

Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
sure if thats removeable tho

KB


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Philip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2006
krazy Bob wrote:
> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
>> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
>> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
>> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
>> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
>> this (I don't mind paying)
>>
>> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
>> called partslink.
>>
>> Cheers Ian B

>
> Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
> have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
> if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
> author it on there.
>
> Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
> sure if thats removeable tho
>
> KB
>
>

Sadly, the dox with MySky say that closed captioning isn't captured,
which IMHO is a bummer for the trifling extra space it would take.
Anyone here know if the TiVo capures it?

It's a real shame, but your suggestion is the only one that's likely to
work. You could try writing Sky, but I wonder if they will care enough
even to reply.


Philip
 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2006
krazy Bob wrote:
> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
>> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
>> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
>> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
>> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
>> this (I don't mind paying)
>>
>> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
>> called partslink.
>>
>> Cheers Ian B

>
> Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
> have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
> if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
> author it on there.
>
> Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
> sure if thats removeable tho
>
> KB
>
>


Why use a VCR? That would lead to huge quality loss. IMHO it would be
better to either go straight to the PC using a capture card and the
SCART/Svideo output from the tv, or otherwise to a DVD recorder, and rip
the DVDs (it would make sense to use rewritables) onto your PC
afterwards for editing.

I don't know if there is such a thing, but maybe you could get a capture
card that understands teletext/captions? I have my TV connected to a
standard (not MySky) decoder with SCART, and it is able to pickup
teletext through that connection.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian Boag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2006
David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>krazy Bob wrote:
>> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
>>> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
>>> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
>>> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
>>> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
>>> this (I don't mind paying)
>>>
>>> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
>>> called partslink.
>>>
>>> Cheers Ian B

>>
>> Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
>> have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS. then
>> if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
>> author it on there.
>>
>> Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD not to
>> sure if thats removeable tho
>>
>> KB
>>
>>

>
>Why use a VCR? That would lead to huge quality loss. IMHO it would be
>better to either go straight to the PC using a capture card and the
>SCART/Svideo output from the tv, or otherwise to a DVD recorder, and rip
>the DVDs (it would make sense to use rewritables) onto your PC
>afterwards for editing.
>
>I don't know if there is such a thing, but maybe you could get a capture
>card that understands teletext/captions? I have my TV connected to a
>standard (not MySky) decoder with SCART, and it is able to pickup
>teletext through that connection.


Many thanks.

I actually have a HDD/DVD recorder so the VCR quality and editing bit
isn't a problem. Hacking stuff round (eg killing the commercials) is a
breeze as is rolling it off to a DVD. The one-time ones are cheap
enough these days that it doesn't really matter.





 
Reply With Quote
 
cyril
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2006
Essentially mpeg coding will not pass teletext data that renders it
usefull.

DVB technology sends Teletext as a seperate data stream that is then
pushed out from the STB on the appropriate teletext lines for down
stream teletext decoders to decode. ie the teletext data lines that
existed in the original transmission do not undergo mpeg coding in a
end to end transparent process, they are decoded at the mpeg encoder
shipped to the STB seperately and recreated and reinjected by the STB
on the outgoing video.

The MySky does not capture this extra stream when capturing the desired
video and audio streams so does not pass it on.

Similarly if a video stream out of a STB has teletext on it and you
feed it into a HDD recorder then you will find that the mpeg encoder
will stuff up the teletext data on the teletext lines rendering it
useless. Guess this is where you are at.

Cyril

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian Boag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2006
Yep. I got that far today. Hooked up the Sky decoder direct to the TV
in one set of red/white/yellows and through the HDDR to another set.

No captions showing on the signal that had been through the HDDR.
Captions showing just fine on the direct connection.

My ambition was to burn a DVD with captions that would play on any old
TV. Is there any way at all this can be done?



"cyril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Essentially mpeg coding will not pass teletext data that renders it
>usefull.
>
>DVB technology sends Teletext as a seperate data stream that is then
>pushed out from the STB on the appropriate teletext lines for down
>stream teletext decoders to decode. ie the teletext data lines that
>existed in the original transmission do not undergo mpeg coding in a
>end to end transparent process, they are decoded at the mpeg encoder
>shipped to the STB seperately and recreated and reinjected by the STB
>on the outgoing video.
>
>The MySky does not capture this extra stream when capturing the desired
>video and audio streams so does not pass it on.
>
>Similarly if a video stream out of a STB has teletext on it and you
>feed it into a HDD recorder then you will find that the mpeg encoder
>will stuff up the teletext data on the teletext lines rendering it
>useless. Guess this is where you are at.
>
>Cyril
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Sutton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2006

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >krazy Bob wrote:
> >> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>> Teletext makes it through a Sky digital decoder. So - apparently do
> >>> the captions on captioned TV1 and TV2 content. I want to record the
> >>> captioned pictures to HDD and thence to DVD as teaching material for
> >>> ESOL (I do the free volunteer stuff).
> >>>
> >>> I'm pretty sure it can be done but I seem to be banging my head
> >>> against a wall. I need to find someone who can guide me through all
> >>> this (I don't mind paying)
> >>>
> >>> Anybody out there? Reply to anyone at all the the NZ dot co domain
> >>> called partslink.
> >>>
> >>> Cheers Ian B
> >>
> >> Just have your vcr to tape your sky channel 1, 2.
> >> have teletext on with page number 801. and record as normal on a VHS.

then
> >> if you have a high graphic card. transfer fron vhs to your comp and dvd
> >> author it on there.
> >>
> >> Im not sure if there's any other way. i no MY SKY has a built in HDD

not to
> >> sure if thats removeable tho
> >>
> >> KB
> >>
> >>

> >
> >Why use a VCR? That would lead to huge quality loss. IMHO it would be
> >better to either go straight to the PC using a capture card and the
> >SCART/Svideo output from the tv, or otherwise to a DVD recorder, and rip
> >the DVDs (it would make sense to use rewritables) onto your PC
> >afterwards for editing.
> >
> >I don't know if there is such a thing, but maybe you could get a capture
> >card that understands teletext/captions? I have my TV connected to a
> >standard (not MySky) decoder with SCART, and it is able to pickup
> >teletext through that connection.

>
> Many thanks.
>
> I actually have a HDD/DVD recorder so the VCR quality and editing bit
> isn't a problem. Hacking stuff round (eg killing the commercials) is a
> breeze as is rolling it off to a DVD. The one-time ones are cheap
> enough these days that it doesn't really matter.
>


If you want subtitled stuff off Tv1/Tv2 you could get a pc satellite tuner
card and use the FREE TO AIR digital transmissions on Optus B1 and record
the content to your HD. You could edit /dump to a DVD with subtitles
included without and Analogue conversion step.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2006
Ian Boag wrote:
> Yep. I got that far today. Hooked up the Sky decoder direct to the TV
> in one set of red/white/yellows and through the HDDR to another set.
>
> No captions showing on the signal that had been through the HDDR.
> Captions showing just fine on the direct connection.
>
> My ambition was to burn a DVD with captions that would play on any old
> TV. Is there any way at all this can be done?


Old NEC external teletext decoder inbetween the skybox and the HDD recorder.
keep in mind that you will have to punch it onto 801 yourself and it will just
have the last line of subtitle on it when you change channel to one that doesnt
have titles. Oh, and it means you get the crappiest interconnect possible being
that it only has component inputs. I dont even know if a component signal can
carry teletext so it may be all you get anyway?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2006
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 03:02:30 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ian Boag) wrote:

>Yep. I got that far today. Hooked up the Sky decoder direct to the TV
>in one set of red/white/yellows and through the HDDR to another set.
>
>No captions showing on the signal that had been through the HDDR.
>Captions showing just fine on the direct connection.
>
>My ambition was to burn a DVD with captions that would play on any old
>TV. Is there any way at all this can be done?


If your TV has video out, and you turn the captions on, does it overlay it onto
the outgoing picture or just to the screen? If the outgoing video signal has it
then you could use your HDD recorder to record the signal from there.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A way to transfer data from My Sky to a PC or backup My Sky data? Donchano NZ Computing 5 02-09-2010 04:59 AM
Two sky boxes with single Sky+ dish sherkhanthegreat@gmail.com Computer Support 0 09-07-2009 11:27 PM
my laptop sata hdd crahed,can i use seagate portable hdd as laptopsata hdd through some convertors?? ashjas Computer Support 2 03-29-2008 07:24 PM
Copying Movies: SKY says its legal on "MY SKY" Jones Minor NZ Computing 27 11-25-2005 08:40 AM
Blue Sky From White Sky Russell Digital Photography 5 05-30-2005 11:56 PM



Advertisments