Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > building a linux box (for the total newbie)

building a linux box (for the total newbie)

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Enkidu wrote:
> *K* wrote:
> >

>> HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
>> winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
>> hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
>> would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
>> looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
>> to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
>> lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
>> be great.
>>

> Xampp? Most Linux distros install apache by default!
>
> Stay away from the pile of fetid dingos' kidneys that is Fedora Core.
>
> Mandrake, SuSe or (my preference) Debian are the way to go.

SuSE or Mandriva or Debian are all good choices, but I'd opt
for SuSE (I use SuSE) or Mandriva perhaps as being more GUI
oriented than Debian.

Hardware? Athlon64 on a K8T800 chipset based mobo would be a
good choice, especially a Socket 939 board/CPU. I run 32-bit
SuSE 10.0 on an Athlon64 (a few apps do not work too well for
me in full 64-bit), and it runs very nicely...a good GeForce
graphics card if you want 3D games/software, and you can add
surround speakers, usual mouse/keys etc...*most* things will
work fine, anything else can usually be resolved with polite
questions to newsgroups like this...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Steve

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:59:31 +1300, *K* wrote:

> HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
> winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
> hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
> would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
> looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
> to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
> lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
> be great.
>
> Thank In advance

Flame war time! My advice is... use the same one that the person who'll be
helping you set this all up uses!

They're all about the same - especially for this kind of mainstream
application.

Brendan

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:59:31 +1300, *K* wrote:

> HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
> winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
> hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
> would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
> looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
> to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
> lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
> be great.
>
> Thank In advance

Knoppix and ubuntu are good.

--

.... Brendan

#136524 +(4060)- [X]

<Raven> I tried setting my hotmail password to penis.
<Raven> It said my password wasn't long enough.

Note: All my comments are copyright 1/03/2006 10:46:27 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.