Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > building a linux box (for the total newbie)

building a linux box (for the total newbie)

Jerry

madmacca wrote:
> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NkJLf.154245$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I ran a commercial webserver on a 233MHz machine. With several websites
>>>on it.

>>My works current web server is a P2 333, it was only upgraded from a P166
>>about a year ago
>>
>>--
>>Cheers
>>Anton

> That is just awesome..just think of all those p2 & p3 windows boxes sitting
> out there collecting dust or as landfill. What an MS rort. Upgrade or die
> huh.!! Yeah right. And now we will soon be assaulted by Vi$ta which will
> need more grunt than a v12 Hummer to run the bloody thing. **** me..when
> will it end.??

When did they make a V12 Hummer? I thought they were 6.6 Liter V8s (for
the big hummer, the smaller ones use smaller engines). They are only
for soccer moms to take the kids to school anyway, a real man should
have at least one of these.
http://www.internationaldelivers.com...Family/cxt.asp

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:36:12 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

>> Newbie #3 - wants it to work as a server but doesn't want to put in the
>> effort that the steep learning curve will require

> What effort? What learning curve? There's a zillion distros already setup
> for webserving, ready to go, all you need to do is configure them. There
> isn't any need to do it the hard way.
>
> It might have been harder a few years ago, but that isn't the case now.

Well if you've never used *nix before, there really is a steep learning
curve. I mean, how would you use vi if you've never used vi before?

How would you mount a partition if you've never mounted a partition
before? How would you change a runlevel if you didn't even know that
runlevels existed letalone what they do? And how would you change a
configuration if typing "regedit" didn't work?

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

AD.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> Well if you've never used *nix before, there really is a steep learning
> curve. I mean, how would you use vi if you've never used vi before?
>
> How would you mount a partition if you've never mounted a partition
> before? How would you change a runlevel if you didn't even know that
> runlevels existed letalone what they do? And how would you change a
> configuration if typing "regedit" didn't work?

Presumably the same way everyone else learnt it.

The definition of learning something implies that you didn't know it before.

--
Cheers
Anton

-=rjh=-

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:36:12 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>>> Newbie #3 - wants it to work as a server but doesn't want to put in the
>>> effort that the steep learning curve will require

>> What effort? What learning curve? There's a zillion distros already setup
>> for webserving, ready to go, all you need to do is configure them. There
>> isn't any need to do it the hard way.
>>
>> It might have been harder a few years ago, but that isn't the case now.

> Well if you've never used *nix before, there really is a steep learning
> curve. I mean, how would you use vi if you've never used vi before?
>
> How would you mount a partition if you've never mounted a partition
> before? How would you change a runlevel if you didn't even know that
> runlevels existed letalone what they do? And how would you change a
> configuration if typing "regedit" didn't work?

There are modern tools available that make all of the above obsolete,
for 95% of configuration tasks. The newcomer doesn't need to know vi
ever existed. Just because you had to invest the time to learn the hard
way (and I did, too), doesn't mean that is still the case.

And some of the dedicated distros make it even easier.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:37:48 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

> There are modern tools available that make all of the above obsolete, for
> 95% of configuration tasks. The newcomer doesn't need to know vi ever
> existed. Just because you had to invest the time to learn the hard way
> (and I did, too), doesn't mean that is still the case.
>
> And some of the dedicated distros make it even easier.

Easier it may be if the system is working OK. But if something goes
seriously wrong... all you'll have is vi and your understanding of how
things should be, and, if you're lucky, a few man pages.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:52:46 +1300, AD. wrote:

> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>> Linux is very different from Windows or M$DOS. If you have no knowledge of
>> Unix then you'll probably want to start with a distro with a couple of
>> nice GUIs for Noobs. I suggest Mandriva, or SuSE or Fedora Core.

> Personally I'd recommend going the other way - stay away from GUIs etc.
> They vastly complicate the machine, and add too many distro specific
> abstractions (or distractions) that just get in the way of trying to
> learn the core of a Linux system.
>
> After all, you want a web server not a desktop Windows replacement. I
> found Linux was easier to learn from the bottom up rather than the top down.
>
> I'd recommend Debian myself. Just do a bare base install and add
> components as you need them - eg 'apt-get install apache2' and you're
> away without a whole lot of extra config directory clutter.

I agree with this post.

Fran

-=rjh=- wrote:
> There are modern tools available that make all of the above obsolete,
> for 95% of configuration tasks. The newcomer doesn't need to know vi
> ever existed. Just because you had to invest the time to learn the hard
> way (and I did, too), doesn't mean that is still the case.

I've never had to use vi.

And I am thankful for that every day

Fran

madmacca

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> madmacca wrote:
>> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:NkJLf.154245$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>My works current web server is a P2 333, it was only upgraded from a P166
>>>about a year ago
>>>
>>>--
>>>Cheers
>>>Anton

>> That is just awesome..just think of all those p2 & p3 windows boxes
>> sitting out there collecting dust or as landfill. What an MS rort.
>> Upgrade or die huh.!! Yeah right. And now we will soon be assaulted by
>> Vi$ta which will need more grunt than a v12 Hummer to run the bloody
>> thing. **** me..when will it end.??

> When did they make a V12 Hummer? I thought they were 6.6 Liter V8s (for
> the big hummer, the smaller ones use smaller engines). They are only for
> soccer moms to take the kids to school anyway, a real man should have at
> least one of these.
> http://www.internationaldelivers.com...Family/cxt.asp

They had a custom Hummer made for some baseball player in the states on
Rides last year with a v12 donk in it..damn that was some motor..pretty much
tricked out with all the trimmings and bells and whistles..Some ridiculous
price tag on it..

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:44:33 +1300, Fran wrote:

> I've never had to use vi.
>
> And I am thankful for that every day

Vi is actually very easy to use once you've figured it out. It's just that
it is not intuitive to learn.

It is also a *very* powerful text editor.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

--

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:44:33 +1300, Fran wrote:
>
>> I've never had to use vi.
>>
>> And I am thankful for that every day

> Vi is actually very easy to use once you've figured it out. It's just that
> it is not intuitive to learn.
>
> It is also a *very* powerful text editor.
>

> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

Joe does all the console level editing I need and no Everest style learning
curve.

Fran