Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > building a linux box (for the total newbie)

building a linux box (for the total newbie)

AD.

Enkidu wrote:
> *K* wrote:
>

>> WOW..........wasnt aware of that, sounds like I may be able to salvage
>> my old PC for this then..... P3 733mhz from memory.
>>

> I ran a commercial webserver on a 233MHz machine. With several websites
> on it.

My works current web server is a P2 333, it was only upgraded from a
P166 about a year ago

--
Cheers
Anton

AD.

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> Linux is very different from Windows or M$DOS. If you have no knowledge of
> Unix then you'll probably want to start with a distro with a couple of
> nice GUIs for Noobs. I suggest Mandriva, or SuSE or Fedora Core.

Personally I'd recommend going the other way - stay away from GUIs etc.
They vastly complicate the machine, and add too many distro specific
abstractions (or distractions) that just get in the way of trying to
learn the core of a Linux system.

After all, you want a web server not a desktop Windows replacement. I
found Linux was easier to learn from the bottom up rather than the top down.

I'd recommend Debian myself. Just do a bare base install and add
components as you need them - eg 'apt-get install apache2' and you're
away without a whole lot of extra config directory clutter.

--
Cheers
Anton

madmacca

"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NkJLf.154245$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Enkidu wrote:
>> *K* wrote:
>>

>>> WOW..........wasnt aware of that, sounds like I may be able to salvage
>>> my old PC for this then..... P3 733mhz from memory.
>>>

>> I ran a commercial webserver on a 233MHz machine. With several websites
>> on it.

> My works current web server is a P2 333, it was only upgraded from a P166
> about a year ago
>
> --
> Cheers
> Anton

That is just awesome..just think of all those p2 & p3 windows boxes sitting
out there collecting dust or as landfill. What an MS rort. Upgrade or die
huh.!! Yeah right. And now we will soon be assaulted by Vi$ta which will
need more grunt than a v12 Hummer to run the bloody thing. **** me..when
will it end.??

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:52:38 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>> That's my vote for Mandrive or SuSE, and a concession to the popularity
>> of RedHat Enterprise Linux.
>>
>> And no you do not want an imitation Windoze environment. You want a Unix
>> environment. Get used to it.
>>

> GUI is OK. Don't listen to Lennier. While I would *never* run a GUI on the
> boxes I look after professionally, for a home machine, a GUI is fine.
> (Though I choose not to GUI myself).
>
> Lennier is right, however. You do need to learn the command line if you
> are serious about learning Linux. (Or Windows for that matter)

I wasn't saying don't use a GUI - I was saying that trying to make a Linux
box look and work like a Windows box is the wrong thing to do.

Use a Unix GUI if you want a GUI.

But if it's a server, there is no need for a GUI at all.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Fink: "The Linux market is growing 30% to 35% a year."

-=rjh=-

*K* wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:44:24 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:30:29 +1300, *K* wrote:
>>
>>> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i said,
>>> ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not much "grunt"
>>> needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng pretty
>>> reasonable...

>> What sort of load would you be expecting on your website?

> maybe 200 or so only
>
>> One or two hits a day? Or millions? If one or two hits a day, or even if
>> several thousands a day, then a P2 or equivalent, will suffice.

> WOW..........wasnt aware of that, sounds like I may be able to salvage
> my old PC for this then..... P3 733mhz from memory.

Buggerme, that is faster than my main PC that I use all the time for
everything.

For webservers, P3 systems are dirt cheap, you should be able to pick up
a really sweet Compaq SFF desktop for <$100 and be ready to go. That
will deal with anything you are likely to throw at it. I have one P2/400
and one P3/600 as fileservers etc.

You don't need a GUI for admin, but you'll find things easier if you use
webmin, at least to start with. That way you can just hide the box in a
cupboard or under the sofa, it only needs power and ethernet.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:52:46 +1300, AD. wrote:

> I'd recommend Debian myself. Just do a bare base install and add
> components as you need them - eg 'apt-get install apache2' and you're away
> without a whole lot of extra config directory clutter.

Debian is not a distro for n00bs.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

Don Hills

In article <dtnqbg$90q$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"madmacca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ... **** me..when will it end.??

Just as soon as you stop bending over and paying them to do it to you.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Murray Symon

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:57:59 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:52:46 +1300, AD. wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend Debian myself. Just do a bare base install and add
>> components as you need them - eg 'apt-get install apache2' and you're
>> away without a whole lot of extra config directory clutter.

> Debian is not a distro for n00bs.
>
> A Nice Cup of Tea

But it certainly seems to have good online support & plenty of
documentation. Plus one of the widest ranges of packages.

It depends on the type of newbie:
newbie #1 - just wants a GUI with easy things to click on.
newbie #2 - is prepared to read, research & learn.

Have A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:07:44 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

>> Debian is not a distro for n00bs.
>>
>> A Nice Cup of Tea

> But it certainly seems to have good online support & plenty of
> documentation. Plus one of the widest ranges of packages.
>
> It depends on the type of newbie:
> newbie #1 - just wants a GUI with easy things to click on. newbie #2 -
> is prepared to read, research & learn.

Newbie #3 - wants it to work as a server but doesn't want to put in the
effort that the steep learning curve will require

A Nice Cup of Tea

--

Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:07:44 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:
>
>>> Debian is not a distro for n00bs.
>>>
>>> A Nice Cup of Tea

>> But it certainly seems to have good online support & plenty of
>> documentation. Plus one of the widest ranges of packages.
>>
>> It depends on the type of newbie:
>> newbie #1 - just wants a GUI with easy things to click on. newbie #2 -
>> is prepared to read, research & learn.

> Newbie #3 - wants it to work as a server but doesn't want to put in the
> effort that the steep learning curve will require

What effort? What learning curve? There's a zillion distros already
setup for webserving, ready to go, all you need to do is configure them.
There isn't any need to do it the hard way.

It might have been harder a few years ago, but that isn't the case now.