Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > building a linux box (for the total newbie)

building a linux box (for the total newbie)

Enkidu

*K* wrote:

> HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
> winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
> hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
> would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
> looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
> to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
> lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
> be great.

Xampp? Most Linux distros install apache by default!

Stay away from the pile of fetid dingos' kidneys that is Fedora Core.

Mandrake, SuSe or (my preference) Debian are the way to go.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
*K* <karenulim@t 4otmale.com> wrote:

> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
> said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
> much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
> pretty reasonable...

Anything made and sold today is vast overkill for a web server.

I have www.hoult.org on a 133 MHz MIPS machine running RedHat linux.
That's slower than the ARM CPU in a modern cell phone or iPod, but it
has easily handled several slashdottings to my pages and OSNewsings to
my flatmate's pages. Being hosted at rackspace.com, the slowest thing
attaching it to the internet is the 100 Mbps ethernet out the back of
it. If you're on DSL or Cable then a 386 with sufficient RAM would be
fine.

All this is assuming you're serving up static html and images and
movies. If you have calculations and databases and dynamic pages then
you can need a lot of CPU power. But few people need to run Google
from home.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Shane

Bruce Hoult wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *K* <karenulim@t 4otmale.com> wrote:
>
>> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
>> said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
>> much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
>> pretty reasonable...

> Anything made and sold today is vast overkill for a web server.
>
> I have www.hoult.org on a 133 MHz MIPS machine running RedHat linux.
> That's slower than the ARM CPU in a modern cell phone or iPod, but it
> has easily handled several slashdottings to my pages and OSNewsings to
> my flatmate's pages. Being hosted at rackspace.com, the slowest thing
> attaching it to the internet is the 100 Mbps ethernet out the back of
> it. If you're on DSL or Cable then a 386 with sufficient RAM would be
> fine.
>
> All this is assuming you're serving up static html and images and
> movies. If you have calculations and databases and dynamic pages then
> you can need a lot of CPU power. But few people need to run Google
> from home.

http://www.ictp.trieste.it/~cfonda/s...d_FreeBSD.html
FreeBSD has been extremely stable for us. We've seen over 180 days of uptime
on a machine serving over 4 million HTTP requests per day. Performance has
been impressive too. With disk striping using ccd we've been able to serve
over 12 million HTTP requests per day on a PPro200 with 128MB of memory.

(OK its freebsd not linux, and the machine is one of many in a cluster, but
I think it shows how hardware isnt a major consideration)
Oh and the website?
www.yahoo.com (Back on FreeBSD version 2.1 Stable so circa 1995?)

Oh and Bruce.. I went to have a nosey at your site and got
This page is a place holder for the home page of your own web site.

Peter

*K* wrote:
> HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
> winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
> hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
> would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
> looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
> to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
> lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
> be great.

Linux is very different to Windos, so there is lots to learn.

As for choice of distro, there is some info here ...
http://wiki.linux.net.nz/SelectingADistribution

or you can try out the Linux distro chooser ...
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

I prefer Mandriva, but people have had good results with other distros and
Ubuntu and Suse are popular, too.
For an easy start, try Knoppix - this boots off the CD and doesn't install
anything on the hard disk (also an easy way to check hardware
compatibility).

Good luck, have fun!

HTH

Peter

*K*

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:36:32 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What do you intend to do with that computer once you've got it working?

Just experiment with linuux a bit, and ultimately run my webpages (web
server)

>Linux is very different from Windows or M$DOS. If you have no knowledge of
>Unix then you'll probably want to start with a distro with a couple of
>nice GUIs for Noobs. I suggest Mandriva, or SuSE or Fedora Core.

good call, thats 2 votes for Fedora and yes, the more windoze (or at
least graphical GUI) the better.

>I also suggest that you use Apache for you web server. It is the most
>common http server.

Thanks, have been suggested a program that auto install
apache/mysql/php.

>Linux's hardware requirements are easier than those for Windoze. There are
>versions of Linux compiled for virtually every hardware platform
>presently available, from the nearly useless Intel 486 right up to the
>latest IBM mainframe. I suggest that you go for an AMD64 CPU, and a 64bit
>version of Linux.

Great, thanks for that.

*K*

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:44:24 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:30:29 +1300, *K* wrote:
>
>> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i said,
>> ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not much "grunt"
>> needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng pretty
>> reasonable...

>What sort of load would you be expecting on your website?

maybe 200 or so only

>One or two hits a day? Or millions? If one or two hits a day, or even if
>several thousands a day, then a P2 or equivalent, will suffice.

WOW..........wasnt aware of that, sounds like I may be able to salvage
my old PC for this then..... P3 733mhz from memory.

>Just remember - Linux can handle higher sustained loads than a Windows box.
>
>Also remember that the Unix way is very different from the Micro$oft way.
>You'll need to change your thinking habits.

Steep learning curve I know........ahhhh the things we do.... thanks.

*K*

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:48:56 +1300, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

cheers for that, may take a look

>> Try Fedora Core 4. It's available for download from
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/. You can also buy Fedora Core 3 on
>> DVD from http://www.dse.co.nz (search for product XC4041).

>Or you can buy FC4 from me Not as cheap as DSE but then that's
>because they press them, which I guess is also the reason the only seem
>to stock old versions of distros instead of the current versions.
>http://www.linuxcdmall.com/fedora.html
>
>[snip]

*K*

Cheers for that..........

>New, I would go for a base AMD cpu (2400?), gigabyte motherboard (with
>raid), 500M or 1 gig of ram, HD ~ 2 x 160Gig (raid 1 them) more for
>speed than size.....gig network card, pci-e video a 128 meg one if it is
>going to run a gui......
>
>Otherwise if it is going to be on your cable or adls modem (I assume) a
>p2-300 with 256 meg ram is heaps....something basic on trademe like this,
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/S...n-48512760.htm
>
>at $389
>
>or,
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/S...n-48520761.htm
>
>at $130
>
>heaps big enough....
>
>My home webserver is a p2-300 (that only runs at 200) 256meg ram, 2 x 20
>gig ide drives, it also runs smtp, imap and DNS....it has a dds3 for
>backing up, but these days I'd go dvd-r.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

*K*

Startiong to sound like it from the feedback I have so far..........

Thanks for the help

>*K* wrote:
>>
>> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
>> said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
>> much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
>> pretty reasonable...
>>

>For a *web server*!?!? Even a heavily scripted web server will run on a
>lowish spec machine!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

*K*

>Xampp? Most Linux distros install apache by default!

hey......dont shoot the new gal......

>Stay away from the pile of fetid dingos' kidneys that is Fedora Core.

Oh.........how so....I have 2 votes for that so far......remembering
IAM a total newbie at linux.........why dis it?

>Mandrake, SuSe or (my preference) Debian are the way to go.

OK, will have a look at these also.

Cheers