Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ 'better off than others' in broadband

NZ 'better off than others' in broadband

Nova

They are probably shareholders in Telecom

Allistar

Nova wrote:

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3581293a13,00.html
>

> They are probably shareholders in Telecom

That's for business. How many truly broadband plans are there for
residential customers of any ISP? Not many, and very few that are ADSL.

I get by with my non-broadband (2Mb/128kb) connection, having true broadband
would be nice though.

Allistar.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3581293a13,00.html
>

> They are probably shareholders in Telecom

I was working in a small european country in 2001. My uncapped 512/256kbps
(download/upload) connection cost $70 per month.

Now, I would prefer that 5 year old plan , than any of telecoms newly
announced plans.

MarkH

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:TF4Lf.151991$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3581293a13,00.html
>>

>> They are probably shareholders in Telecom

> I was working in a small european country in 2001. My uncapped
> 512/256kbps (download/upload) connection cost $70 per month.
>
> Now, I would prefer that 5 year old plan , than any of telecoms newly
> announced plans.

Personally I like the new 3.5Mbit/512Kbit plan, provided that I can
typically get those speeds of course. I would also like to download as
much a I like (I am happy to pay Orcon $10/10GB for the privilege).

However, if the plan is a con by Telecom and they only allow an average of
24Kbit between Telecom and the ISP then it is hard to consider the plan
able to satisfactorily provide 3.5M/512K.

Clearly since Xtra are going to offer a 40GB limit on the top plan then we
would expect Orcon to be able to get as much as 96Kbit per customer on the
top priced connection plan. We would also expect it to allow a reasonable
mark-up if retailed at the same price as Xtra offer. Anything less would
be an abuse of their near-monopoly market position.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

news.xtra.co.nz

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ic7Lf.163500$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:TF4Lf.151991$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3581293a13,00.html
>>>

>>> They are probably shareholders in Telecom

>> I was working in a small european country in 2001. My uncapped
>> 512/256kbps (download/upload) connection cost $70 per month.
>>
>> Now, I would prefer that 5 year old plan , than any of telecoms newly
>> announced plans.

> Personally I like the new 3.5Mbit/512Kbit plan, provided that I can
> typically get those speeds of course. I would also like to download as
> much a I like (I am happy to pay Orcon $10/10GB for the privilege).
>
> However, if the plan is a con by Telecom and they only allow an average of
> 24Kbit between Telecom and the ISP then it is hard to consider the plan
> able to satisfactorily provide 3.5M/512K.
>
> Clearly since Xtra are going to offer a 40GB limit on the top plan then we
> would expect Orcon to be able to get as much as 96Kbit per customer on the
> top priced connection plan. We would also expect it to allow a reasonable
> mark-up if retailed at the same price as Xtra offer. Anything less would
> be an abuse of their near-monopoly market position.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
> "The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
> young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
> for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
> Maskerade

it is the cap that annoys me.

EMB

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3581293a13,00.html
>>

>>They are probably shareholders in Telecom

> I was working in a small european country in 2001. My uncapped 512/256kbps
> (download/upload) connection cost $70 per month.
>
> Now, I would prefer that 5 year old plan , than any of telecoms newly
> announced plans.

A mate of mine in the UK is currewntly paying about that for a similar
plan, and it includes the phone line rental.

--
EMB

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:19:26 GMT when I remembered MarkH

>I am happy to pay Orcon $10/10GB for the privilege

So am I. I'm not too sure why people want to treat internet access any
differently from other utilities, such as power or water. We don't
have unlimited access to those (in some cases there's unmetered
water), and we shouldn't. All our resources aren't infinite, and so we
shouldn't treat them as such.

That's why I think Orcon's $10 for 10GB is a good idea. You pay for
what you use. It doesn't slow down, and the prices are reasonable.
Charging X amount of cents per MB doesn't communicate costs as clearly
as X amount of dollars per GB.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Chris Hope

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> T'was the Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:19:26 GMT when I remembered MarkH
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>I am happy to pay Orcon $10/10GB for the privilege

> So am I. I'm not too sure why people want to treat internet access any
> differently from other utilities, such as power or water. We don't
> have unlimited access to those (in some cases there's unmetered
> water), and we shouldn't. All our resources aren't infinite, and so we
> shouldn't treat them as such.
>
> That's why I think Orcon's $10 for 10GB is a good idea. You pay for
> what you use. It doesn't slow down, and the prices are reasonable.
> Charging X amount of cents per MB doesn't communicate costs as clearly
> as X amount of dollars per GB.

It's no wonder Telecom/Xtra show the overage cost as a charge per MB
instead of per GB. At 2c per megabyte you'd be paying $20 per GB which
is pretty expensive, especially when compared with Orcon where you'd
get 20 GB for that amount of money.

Nova

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:19:26 GMT when I remembered MarkH
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> I am happy to pay Orcon $10/10GB for the privilege

> So am I. I'm not too sure why people want to treat internet access any
> differently from other utilities, such as power or water. We don't
> have unlimited access to those (in some cases there's unmetered
> water), and we shouldn't. All our resources aren't infinite, and so we
> shouldn't treat them as such.
>
> That's why I think Orcon's $10 for 10GB is a good idea. You pay for
> what you use. It doesn't slow down, and the prices are reasonable.
> Charging X amount of cents per MB doesn't communicate costs as clearly
> as X amount of dollars per GB.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.
> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

I guess as many other countries seem to manage to be able to give
uncapped internet and far faster speeds than us both on uplink and
downlink a lot of us expect that to be available here. If you are happy
having less than those countries and settling for second rate internet ,
well that is your opinion. NZ that is always saying that it wants to be
up with the play in technology and yet we have sub standard internet and
people that seem to think that's how it.

I as you can gather am anticap, I would prefer paying a bit more and
getting unlimited or even throttled to 256kbits (not 64/128 which is not
even broadband).

If you went to live in London for a year, you'd come back and wonder
what the hell NZ is doing with it's internet and why we are being robbed.

Also, there is no reason why national traffic should be capped. Telecom
keep harping on about how its the internatinal bandwidth which is where
the costs are. Why can't things be setup so that we get unlimited
national traffic and at full speed but maybe cap international and have
it at lower speeds or something?

This would encourage businesses to host things in NZ more, would
encourage users in NZ to use NZ sites more etc etc.

That is the end my rant.

stenknz

> it is the cap that annoys me.

Yeah same with me. The speed is not to bad, but you are capped at 10Gig
and that in my opinion is not good enough!

I have the Adventure Plan that will go up to 3.5down and upsteam will
still remain at 128, now that is not so much of an issue for me but I
am sure there are lots of people that would have liked to have an
upstream connection rise to 512 also!

Regards,

Sten