Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Media Player - Download Media Info From Internet is Greyed Out

Windows Media Player - Download Media Info From Internet is Greyed Out

Alan

Hi All,

On our machines running WinXP Pro - SP2 (WMP 10) all our users who are
not administrators have the option to obtain media information from
the
internet greyed out:

WMP10 - Tools - Options - Library
Automatic media information updates for files
Retrieve additional information from the internet

This is turned off, and greyed out.

Does anyone know if there is a group policy setting that stops users
from turning that on, and if it is turned on, is that an issue?

I am thinking that the only downside is that it generates traffic
getting the album name, artist, and track names, but that would be a
very small amount of traffic I think.

Thanks!

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Rob J

In article <3hRKf.151860$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Hi All,
>
> On our machines running WinXP Pro - SP2 (WMP 10) all our users who are
> not administrators have the option to obtain media information from
> the
> internet greyed out:
>
> WMP10 - Tools - Options - Library
> Automatic media information updates for files
> Retrieve additional information from the internet
>
> This is turned off, and greyed out.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a group policy setting that stops users
> from turning that on, and if it is turned on, is that an issue?
>
> I am thinking that the only downside is that it generates traffic
> getting the album name, artist, and track names, but that would be a
> very small amount of traffic I think.

Are you using Active Directory or NT4 style policies?

The latter certainly offers many settings for WMP. I don't have much
experience of AD so I couldn't say.

Alan

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <3hRKf.151860$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On our machines running WinXP Pro - SP2 (WMP 10) all our users who
>> are
>> not administrators have the option to obtain media information from
>> the
>> internet greyed out:
>>
>> WMP10 - Tools - Options - Library
>> Automatic media information updates for files
>> Retrieve additional information from the internet
>>
>> This is turned off, and greyed out.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a group policy setting that stops
>> users
>> from turning that on, and if it is turned on, is that an issue?
>>
>> I am thinking that the only downside is that it generates traffic
>> getting the album name, artist, and track names, but that would be
>> very small amount of traffic I think.

> Are you using Active Directory or NT4 style policies?
>
> The latter certainly offers many settings for WMP. I don't have much
> experience of AD so I couldn't say.

Hi Rob,

AD.

I actually found the setting under Group Policies - windows comonents
/ windows media player. It had been set to disallow the media info to
be pulled from the net.

Thanks!

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

Specifically, for posterity and those that may find this by way of a
search, it is under:

Group Policy anagement - Your Forest - Domain.Local - Domain - Users -
User Group - User Group
User Configuration - Admin Templates - Windows Components - Windows
Media Player - Prevent Music File Media Information Retrieval

Obvoiusly your AD tree may differ.

HTH,

Alan.

else associated with me.