Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell sues Mr Dell

Dell sues Mr Dell

GraB

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:17:34 +1300, GraB wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...sues_dell_man/

Again!

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Brendan

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:25:40 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...sues_dell_man/

> Again!

He should sue them - for all the besmirching of the Dell name, his families
for hundreds of years, with shoddy computers and bombastic lawyering of
little people..

--

.... Brendan

#139697 +(4371)- [X]

<frank> can you help me install GTA3?
<knightmare> first, shut down all programs you aren't using
frank has quit IRC. (Quit)
<knightmare> ...

Note: All my comments are copyright 21/02/2006 5:28:47 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Peter

GraB wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...sues_dell_man/

That US corporation is suing some poor guy for every instance that this guy
uses his own name on his own web site. What stupidity!
I guess they'll next be going after everyone else with the surname Dell.
Looks like there are about 37 people in Auckland for them to pick on.
Maybe it looks like an attractive revenue stream for them.

I wonder if Dell thinks that this type of bullying behaviour makes people
more likely to buy computers off them.

Peter

Shane

On 2006-02-21, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> GraB wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...sues_dell_man/

> That US corporation is suing some poor guy for every instance that this guy
> uses his own name on his own web site. What stupidity!
> I guess they'll next be going after everyone else with the surname Dell.
> Looks like there are about 37 people in Auckland for them to pick on.
> Maybe it looks like an attractive revenue stream for them.
>
> I wonder if Dell thinks that this type of bullying behaviour makes people
> more likely to buy computers off them.
>

> Peter

Its not without precedent
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....rowe.soft.ap/
Some canadian kid (Mike Rowe) put up a site etc etc.
IIRC he ended up with a heap of Microsoft goodies, eg training, internships,
etc etc etc.

It has to be said similarly named sites are an issue, especially when it comes
to phishing and p0rn etc etc

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:11:39 +1300, Peter wrote:

> That US corporation is suing some poor guy for every instance that this
> guy uses his own name on his own web site. What stupidity! I guess
> they'll next be going after everyone else with the surname Dell. Looks
> like there are about 37 people in Auckland for them to pick on. Maybe it
> looks like an attractive revenue stream for them.
>
> I wonder if Dell thinks that this type of bullying behaviour makes people
> more likely to buy computers off them.

An English shop did the same thing to a NZer a few years ago.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his

Peter

GraB wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...sues_dell_man/

I thought that the Frogs were sufficiently nationalistic that they would
tell Dell in USA where to stick it.

Crash

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:11:39 +1300, Peter wrote:
>

>>That US corporation is suing some poor guy for every instance that this
>>guy uses his own name on his own web site. What stupidity! I guess
>>they'll next be going after everyone else with the surname Dell. Looks
>>like there are about 37 people in Auckland for them to pick on. Maybe it
>>looks like an attractive revenue stream for them.
>>
>>I wonder if Dell thinks that this type of bullying behaviour makes people
>>more likely to buy computers off them.

> An English shop did the same thing to a NZer a few years ago.

Harrods? I don't recall a surname or family name being involved here.

Crash.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:22:50 +1300, Crash wrote:

>> An English shop did the same thing to a NZer a few years ago.

> Harrods? I don't recall a surname or family name being involved here.

Come to think of it, it was The Blackball Hilton, down in Blackball on the
West Coast.

Now it's named "Formerly The Blackball Hilton", and the residents of
Blackball call it "The formerly".

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

MarkH

Crash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:EbVKf.151909$(E-Mail Removed):

> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:11:39 +1300, Peter wrote:
>>

>>>That US corporation is suing some poor guy for every instance that
>>>this guy uses his own name on his own web site. What stupidity! I
>>>guess they'll next be going after everyone else with the surname
>>>Dell. Looks like there are about 37 people in Auckland for them to
>>>pick on. Maybe it looks like an attractive revenue stream for them.
>>>
>>>I wonder if Dell thinks that this type of bullying behaviour makes
>>>people more likely to buy computers off them.

>> An English shop did the same thing to a NZer a few years ago.

> Harrods? I don't recall a surname or family name being involved here.

Well I clearly recall it and the surname WAS Harrod. Mr Harrod was force
to change the name of his shop. This was despite non of his customers
being confused about whether he was affiliated with the UK shopping giant.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade