Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Connecting Windows boxes to the Internet

Connecting Windows boxes to the Internet

A Nice Cup of Tea

Quote:

"Those of us in the business already know about botnets. Well, we should
know about them. In the tale, one security expert, who chases down
botnets, recounts how he called one large company to tell them that they
had 10,000 infected Windows PCs. The network administrator didn't have a
clue as to what to do about them. Doesn't that say it all?"

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:09:43 +1300 when I remembered A Nice Cup
of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>"Those of us in the business already know about botnets. Well, we should
>know about them. In the tale, one security expert, who chases down
>botnets, recounts how he called one large company to tell them that they
>had 10,000 infected Windows PCs. The network administrator didn't have a
>clue as to what to do about them. Doesn't that say it all?"
>
>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7397661455.html

Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to
linux, he'd be a crap network administrator still.

If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver?
Same with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
misused. Same with operating systems.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Steve

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:09:43 +1300 when I remembered A Nice Cup
> of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>"Those of us in the business already know about botnets. Well, we should
>>know about them. In the tale, one security expert, who chases down
>>botnets, recounts how he called one large company to tell them that they
>>had 10,000 infected Windows PCs. The network administrator didn't have a
>>clue as to what to do about them. Doesn't that say it all?"
>>
>>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7397661455.html

> Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to
> linux, he'd be a crap network administrator still.

What have operating systems to do with network administrators? Systems
administrators look after systems. In a company that size, network
administrators talk IOS ( and whether that is secure now or not ), layer 2
bridging and the like.

> If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
> and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
> with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
> misused. Same with operating systems.

Look, it's a really crap article, but you're so biased the other way that
I find it really difficult to take any of your postings seriously. How
many weeks have you been in the business now, and how many of those days
have had anything to do with non-Microsoft systems?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:20:40 +1300 when I remembered Steve

>> If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
>> and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
>> with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
>> misused. Same with operating systems.

>Look, it's a really crap article, but you're so biased the other way that
>I find it really difficult to take any of your postings seriously. How
>many weeks have you been in the business now, and how many of those days
>have had anything to do with non-Microsoft systems?

Well, I started doing system administration back in 2001 with Windows
NT4 Server. I can't say I've ever set up a Linux box as a domain
controller, but more used Linux for things like Web servers and mail
servers from around 2002.

Just a drop in a bucket really.

I try not to be so biased towards Microsoft, but when I see that guy's
posts, the blatant idiocy of the posts just makes me want to counter
them with at least logical arguments biased the other way. I'm still a
firm believer of the best solution for the problem, which often
includes Linux.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Shane

On 2006-02-18, Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> T'was the Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:20:40 +1300 when I remembered Steve
><(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>> If I gave you a car and it had the possibility to speed and so you did
>>> and crashed, does that make it an unsafe car, or an unsafe driver? Same
>>> with guns, poisons, hell, pretty much most things in life can be
>>> misused. Same with operating systems.

>>Look, it's a really crap article, but you're so biased the other way that
>>I find it really difficult to take any of your postings seriously. How
>>many weeks have you been in the business now, and how many of those days
>>have had anything to do with non-Microsoft systems?

> Well, I started doing system administration back in 2001 with Windows
> NT4 Server. I can't say I've ever set up a Linux box as a domain
> controller, but more used Linux for things like Web servers and mail
> servers from around 2002.
>
> Just a drop in a bucket really.
>
> I try not to be so biased towards Microsoft, but when I see that guy's
> posts, the blatant idiocy of the posts just makes me want to counter
> them with at least logical arguments biased the other way. I'm still a
> firm believer of the best solution for the problem, which often
> includes Linux.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.
> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

Do yourself a favour and ignore him then, Ive found in the past that if
I respond to some of the known trolls, I get painted as extreme one way or
the other
If I just ignore them.. life is good

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:56:00 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> I'm still a firm
> believer of the best solution for the problem, which often includes Linux.

LOLOL!

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has leveraged
a hole in Microsoft products.

~misfit~

Shane wrote:
> Do yourself a favour and ignore him then, Ive found in the past that
> if
> I respond to some of the known trolls, I get painted as extreme one
> way or the other
> If I just ignore them.. life is good

Extreme isn't *always* bad.
--
~misfit~

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

> Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to linux,
> he'd be a crap network administrator still.

True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.

RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has leveraged
a hole in Microsoft products.

Murray Symon

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:23:52 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:40:14 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>> Sure. He's a crap network administrator. I bet if he switched to linux,
>> he'd be a crap network administrator still.

> True. But he's most likely certified by Micro$oft.
>
> RedHat certification means the person actually does know his stuff.
>

> A Nice Cup of Tea

Why is it any different?
Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:30 +1300 when I remembered Murray
Symon <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Why is it any different?
>Does the Redhat certification involve more than just exams?

There's quite a practical (I think all of it actually) component to a
RHCE exam. Same with the newer MCSE exams, using virtual server
technology (correct me if I'm wrong here).
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.