Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > quiet PC power supply

quiet PC power supply

Tony

Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
recommendations ?

gimp

Tony wrote:
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

i have a seasonic S12, excellent quality, SLI support, 350-500W models
are available in NZ, not too expensive, and voted in the top 5 quietest
PSUs by silentpcreview.com.

-=rjh=-

Tony wrote:
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

I have a friend who bought one recently from Quay Computers, for $45.00,
and he says it it *really* quiet. Has a large (120mm) and slow fan.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:13:51 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

> Tony wrote:
>> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
>> recommendations ?

> I have a friend who bought one recently from Quay Computers, for $45.00,
> and he says it it *really* quiet. Has a large (120mm) and slow fan.

Yes - I too bought one of those.

I was informed by the staff at Quay that, after some experience with them,
they found that these PSUs are not suitable for use with Intel P4 heaters,
and that they had been taken out of cases that were to have P4-based
computers assembled in them.

But if you're planning to use it with an earlier CPU, then it should be
fine. I've had no problems using it with a p3-600 .

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Peter Huebner

In article <newscache$ra3vui$i1k$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

Ultra quiet: Nexus
Antec Phantom (fanless)
http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=338288
thought there wan another fanless one but can't find it just now.
Very quiet: Enermax
Antec
Zalman (?) used to be anyhow

I.i.r.c. Thermaltake are overrated (high brand recognition not backed by
performance reviews)

look around the silentpc website and similar; I don't exactly consider myself
to be bleeding edge up-to-date

-P.

Gordon

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:37:44 +1300, Tony wrote:

> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

Zalman

http://www.quietpc.co.nz is one place you can find them. You may need to
lock up your bean counter before you purchase.

Have you eliminated all the small high reving noisy fans? eg on some video
cards

Rob J

In article <newscache$ra3vui$i1k$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

Enermax are very quiet supplies from my experience of them.

S Roby

In article <newscache$ra3vui$i1k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
>Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
>recommendations ?

Stay away from the cheapies.
When they fail they can blow EVERY component in the PC
I know of one retailer whose cheapies had a 10% failure rate,he didnt care

Enermax are quite good
Tomshardware.com has some good PSU torture tests

Daniel

Tony wrote:
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

Another vote for the Seasonic S12 series.

Only supplier in NZ (AFAIK) are Advantage (www.advantage.co.nz).

It's ranked #1 in the 400W+ category by SilentPCReview.com:

Only minor downside with the S12-430 (that's on the S12-500) is that it
doesn't have PCIe VGA connectors, but, you can get adapters anyways.

Fanless seem like a good idea, although you should read the warning on
them from the link above.

Rich

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:newscache$ra3vui$i1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

I have a SilenX PSU from www.modyourpc.com (a NZ outfit) and it is virtually
silent...just not the cheapest PSU in the world.