Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > quiet PC power supply

quiet PC power supply

thingy

Tony wrote:
> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
> recommendations ?

www.tomshardware.com, look for PSU tests.

regards

Thing

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:08:18 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Tony wrote:
>> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
>> recommendations ?

> www.tomshardware.com, look for PSU tests.

If it's quiet he wants then he won't be able to get quieter than this:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...19250&from=rss

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Mercury

The trouble with fanless is that something else then has to move the air -
your choice if you you have the right case.

Very high efficiency PSU's help on this front as they don't create a lot of
heat and so have little heat that needs pushing out anyway.

I have an Antec Phantom which is "high" efficiency etc and has a 3 way
switch - you can select the temp the fan kicks in on. It is in an MCE system
with selected for low noise components - it can't be heard.

IE
AMD PR3500+ with SLK120 (? - way overkill)12cm Nexus + at low revs & speed
fan
Case: 12cm Nexus x 2 at low revs with speed fan
PSU: Antec Phantom
Northbridge: Swifttech MCX159-CU **

** recommended

The MCE system is in the bedroom, runs 24 x 7 and is unnoticeable in an
otherwise dead quiet environment.

I had to import the Swifttech specially from the US. The only pitfall of all
this was it was a tad expensive, but the CPU sits at 32c, the motherboard
34c, HDD's 29c in an air con environment @ 21c or so (yip air con in
bedroom).

- Tim

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43f821f6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony wrote:
>> Hi all, I'm after an ultra quiet standard ATX power supply. Any
>> recommendations ?

> Another vote for the Seasonic S12 series.
>
> Only supplier in NZ (AFAIK) are Advantage (www.advantage.co.nz).
>
> It's ranked #1 in the 400W+ category by SilentPCReview.com:
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page6.html
>
> Only minor downside with the S12-430 (that's on the S12-500) is that it
> doesn't have PCIe VGA connectors, but, you can get adapters anyways.
>
> Fanless seem like a good idea, although you should read the warning on
> them from the link above.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:21:42 +1300, Mercury wrote:

> I had to import the Swifttech specially from the US. The only pitfall of
> all this was it was a tad expensive, but the CPU sits at 32c, the
> motherboard 34c, HDD's 29c in an air con environment @ 21c or so (yip air
> con in bedroom).

If you've got air conditioning in your bedroom, what $$$$ do you equate to
being "a tad expensive"?

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Mercury

Ummm. not too much. I just wanted a dead quiet system that would run cool &
quiet if the air con was off as it gets to 36c often here. But what the heck
the air con only costs $4 a day to run 24 hours and I am happy with that
comfort level.

A fan at $30 is expensive to me (scruge). $120 a month for air con comfort
passes as OK as an expense

news(E-Mail Removed)...