Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra problems

xtra problems

geopelia

Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
to have to keep phoning them.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:59:14 +1300, geopelia wrote:

> Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't
> want to have to keep phoning them.

What problems are these?

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.

whoisthis

In article <yguJf.150969$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
> to have to keep phoning them.

Which ones...

Crap spam filtering
Crap bandwidth
Crap connection
Crap help desk team

alastair.geek.nz

whoisthis wrote:

> In article <yguJf.150969$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
> > to have to keep phoning them.

> Which ones...
> Crap spam filtering
> Crap bandwidth
> Crap connection
> Crap help desk team

Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
Totally stupid.

Ross Dawson

On 17 Feb 2006 20:31:47 -0800, "alastair.geek.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>whoisthis wrote:
>
>> In article <yguJf.150969$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
>> > to have to keep phoning them.

>> Which ones...
>> Crap spam filtering
>> Crap bandwidth
>> Crap connection
>> Crap help desk team

>Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
>their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
> Totally stupid.

I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
I do have an account with them.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
Dawson <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
>I do have an account with them.

I believe that's a common practice.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Ross Dawson

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:10:54 +1300, Waylon Kenning
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
>Dawson <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
>>I do have an account with them.

>I believe that's a common practice.

It's a pity they can't authenticate via user name and password for
their news servers, would make my life a little bit easier.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

jedmeister

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
> Dawson <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
>>I do have an account with them.

> I believe that's a common practice.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.
> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

it would have cost them more to block the service than to just let the
network allow all access.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> whoisthis wrote:
>
> > In article <yguJf.150969$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't want
> > > to have to keep phoning them.

> > Which ones...
> > Crap spam filtering
> > Crap bandwidth
> > Crap connection
> > Crap help desk team

> Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
> their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
> Totally stupid.

There's nothing stupid about it. It means they don't end up with people
who are on say a $5/month dialup account sending unlimited data through
an Xtra email account without contributing to the true cost of providing
the service.

And you can have an unblocked POP server for an extra $2.50 per month.

Shane

On 2006-02-18, jedmeister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> T'was the Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:24:55 +1300 when I remembered Ross
>> Dawson <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>>
>>>I can't access their news server from another provider either, and yes
>>>I do have an account with them.

>> I believe that's a common practice.
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Waylon Kenning.
>> See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

> it would have cost them more to block the service than to just let the
> network allow all access.

er... it would be a hell of a lot easier (and this has been discussed in
another thread recently) to have a list of ip blocks allowed, and any other
denied, rather than implement an authentication on their server
(which is twister IIRC)
Not only that but a savings on traffic they would be paying for
(ie on other Peoples Networks)